Super-Dog

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I need help from some Iowa State brethren. I recently have had the urge to attempt to recreate my own superdogs at home. The trouble is, I do not believe I was ever what you'd call sober when I had one. Thus, I am not entirely sure I remember exactly what was on it. Can anyone help me out with this?

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
The guys that owned the super-dog were the head chefs at Lucullans. The recipe was a real jumbo hot dog, CUCUMBER sauce (should be a recipe for it online), potato chips, and chedder cheese on top. you will have to broil them in your oven, unless you have a cheese cooker in your house.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The pineapple sauce will be hard to come by, but I never liked it much anyways. Always ordered without.

I do remember there being bacon and potato chips melted underneath the layer of cheese. Can't remember what else was in there.

dornstar44

Apr 10, 2006
Wichita, KS
We made some for New Year's Eve this year and they turned out almost exactly like I remember.

Jumbo hot dog
Crushed Pineapple
Mayonnaise with some cilantro and minced, roasted garlic
Ketchup
Mustard
Crumbled potato chips
Bacon
Sliced mozzarella cheese

Boil the hot dogs per instructions, assemble all ingredients on a nice sliced roll (bakery brat buns worked great). Put under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The pineapple sauce will be hard to come by, but I never liked it much anyways. Always ordered without.

I do remember there being bacon and potato chips melted underneath the layer of cheese. Can't remember what else was in there.

Are you kidding? The sweetness of the pineapple is what put the super-dog over the top!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I need help from some Iowa State brethren. I recently have had the urge to attempt to recreate my own superdogs at home. The trouble is, I do not believe I was ever what you'd call sober when I had one. Thus, I am not entirely sure I remember exactly what was on it. Can anyone help me out with this?

I saw a documentary a couple years ago where some people had a similar problem - the answer you seek is...

Beerfest (2006) - IMDb

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
We made some for New Year's Eve this year and they turned out almost exactly like I remember.

Jumbo hot dog
Crushed Pineapple
Mayonnaise with some cilantro and minced, roasted garlic
Ketchup
Mustard
Crumbled potato chips
Bacon
Sliced mozzarella cheese

Boil the hot dogs per instructions, assemble all ingredients on a nice sliced roll (bakery brat buns worked great). Put under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.

That sounds disgusting when you're sober but boy does it taste good when you're drunk.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I have also never been sober when I had a super dog, but I love them. I'm pretty sure I don't care for half of the ingredients, if they were by themselves, but something about all of that stuff together was the absolute perfect storm of ingredients.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The place I where I used to work would periodically hire the Super Dog guys to bring the cart on site for lunch. They were never as good when I was sober.

Reactions: Scott34

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've had a sober super dog, and didn't think it was bad.

Obviously all of those kinds of food taste better when you're drunk and starving, but it was still good.

Are you kidding? The sweetness of the pineapple is what put the super-dog over the top!

If I wanted something sweet, I'd go into Kum and Go get some ice cream. I don't really like sweets to begin with, and I'm really not a fan of mixing sweet and savory like that. It's like peach salsa. Not my cup of tea.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I have been craving super dog lately, so I was searching around for recipes and this is the official list given to the the daily..

What's in a superdog?

• All beef hotdog on a hoagie
  • 5 sauces (all homemade except for ketchup and mustard): 1/2 oz pineapple, 1/2 oz garlic cilantro, 1/4 oz special sauce, 1/4 oz ketchup, 1/4 oz mustard,
  • Layer of potato chips covers the dog
  • Slice of bacon
  • 2 slices of Monterrey Jack cheese
https://www.iowastatedaily.com/dct/...cle_5b4e09e0-b530-11e4-8ae4-130f35108aef.html

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron