Whiskey

clones2005

Jan 14, 2017
Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but, one of my favorites is Woodford Reserve Rye. It is very smooth, smoother than several higher priced ryes I've had at a lower price (although it still runs for around $40).

Regular Woodford Reserve is also good, I can thank Delta for all of the Woodford on my business trips for getting me interested in Bourbon.

I picked up a bottle of the Jameson Caskmates at the distillery in August - I'm going to go have a bit now!

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
When it's a drink I normally go 7/7. I like Irish Whiskey. Crowne is good too.

Been big into Scotch since 2012 when I finally learned how to properly drink it. I remember back in college I mixed it with coke, lets just say the stuff that came back up wasn't pretty. Big fan of single malts from Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Glenmorangie. I like florals and nutty scotches rather than smokey. My last bottle I bought was a Glen Moray.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
When it's a drink I normally go 7/7. I like Irish Whiskey. Crowne is good too.

Been big into Scotch since 2012 when I finally learned how to properly drink it. I remember back in college I mixed it with coke, lets just say the stuff that came back up wasn't pretty. Big fan of single malts from Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Glenmorangie. I like florals and nutty scotches rather than smokey. My last bottle I bought was a Glen Moray.
You should pick up a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 sometime, I think you'd like it.

• Friendly
Reactions: 4theCYcle

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
North Ankeny Blvd Hyvee has had Knob Creek on sale for $25 for about a week. That is one of my favorites even when it is priced at $40.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Cedar Ridge has some good Bourbon. Tried Willet Pot still Reserve in Nashville and that was pretty good. Buffalo Trace, Bulleit. There are a lot of good bourbons.
I love Macallan for scotch and the Glens. livit, fidditch etc.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Didn't know there was a whiskey contingent on CF. I publish for whiskeyenthusiasts.com and admin an iowa-only Facebook group called Iowa Whiskey Chasers. We are in the midst of picking our own private barrel of bourbon from Cedar Ridge right now.

I'm a big scotch guy, personally. When you get past the mainstream, mass appeal whiskies you can find some affordable gems that are full of character. Arran, Bunnahabhain, Balblair, BenRiach, Benromach, and Glen Garioch are great scotches to explore when you get tired of the basic old Johnnie Walker, Glenlivet, and Glenfiddich.

Reactions: flynnhicks03

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
angel_s-envy-kentucky-straight-bourbon-1.jpg
Angels Envy is my go-to if I don't want to break the bank but still have a really good bourbon.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I was in Texas a couple weeks ago and picked up some TX whiskey. Wow it is great stuff.
Brought home a bottle of their bourbon too but haven't tried it yet.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
angel_s-envy-kentucky-straight-bourbon-1.jpg
Angels Envy is my go-to if I don't want to break the bank but still have a really good bourbon.
Tried this on the recommendation of my son-in-law and ended up giving him the bottle. Was probably his plan all along! The port wine taste from the barrels was overpowering for me.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Tried this on the recommendation of my son-in-law and ended up giving him the bottle. Was probably his plan all along! The port wine taste from the barrels was overpowering for me.

I usually go with scotch. Wonder if that is why I enjoyed this one so much.
But hey, if you ever get stuck with another bottle, let me know. I'll cover shipping!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Try Templeton Rye, the stuff that comes in glass jars. smmooootthh!

I am not a huge whiskey drinker, but the boot-leg Templeton Rye I've had few times has the smoothest whiskey I have had! That stuff on the rocks was outstanding.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I was in Texas a couple weeks ago and picked up some TX whiskey. Wow it is great stuff.
Brought home a bottle of their bourbon too but haven't tried it yet.

I've heard Balcones out of Waco makes some pretty good whiskies, but I don't think you can get them in Iowa yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron