Whiskey

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Has this changed recently? When I was reading a year or two ago Tin Cup was sourcing their bourbon from MGP in Indiana then cutting it with Colorado water and aging it in house.
Looks like they now blend the original Indiana distilled rye whiskey with their distilled single malt. So yes and no? lol either way it is a good bourbon. I heard they were now distilling it all in house, but I guess that is only half right.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Looks like they now blend the original Indiana distilled rye whiskey with their distilled single malt. So yes and no? lol either way it is a good bourbon. I heard they were now distilling it all in house, but I guess that is only half right.
No worries, I was hoping more than anything. Because Stranahan's is good but pricey for what it is. So was hoping they were switching to an in house at the lower price level.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
No worries, I was hoping more than anything. Because Stranahan's is good but pricey for what it is. So was hoping they were switching to an in house at the lower price level.
A little tid bit about Stranahan's and Tin Cup. The Owner of Tin Cup was a partner in the Stranahan's Distillery and split ways to form Tin Cup.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm looking for a good bottle of bourbon priced between $60-$80, suggestions? I'm always trying something new and very rarely buy something twice. I'm the same way with craft beers.
I would say John J Bowman - Single Barrel Bourbon for $55 is a great deal for a high quality whiskey/bourbon

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
If you are a Scotch guy, and like Islay Scotch (think smoky, spicy), then go get some Talisker Storm. Very good Scotch for the price point, which is usually $30-35.

Attachments

• Talisker-Storm.jpg
    Talisker-Storm.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Good option is to find a scotch/whiskey bar and indulge on tasters/flights. Kind of expensive but at least you'll get to try a wide variety.

I typically have standards on hand: Maker's Mark, some kind of inexpensive single malt scotch (Macallan or Glenfiddich 12yo), rye (always have a bottle of Templeton's but there are other good brands), and a bottle of Irish (Kilbeggan is grand).

I've also run across a few one-offs that I really enjoy: Jamieson Caskmates is nexpensive and really tasty. Glenfiddich reserve cask is one of my favorites, aged in sherry casks. Maker's Mark has a few really good varieties outside their standard bottle: Private Select, each batch is different but I've liked the ones I've tried, and 46 are both good.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I got to binge watching Justified and as part of the show they have many high priced bourbons but one they had was Buffalo Trace that is reasonably priced and very good. The show talked about Pappy Van Winkle that is really high priced and never spent the money to try it.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
Yes, The Japanese and Korean whiskey I've had has been very good. Plus the Japanese own most of the big name Bourbon labels so we're all essentially drinking their products one way or another.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Over the past year or so I started getting into whiskey - fun hobby.

Would say Buffalo, Basil Hayden's, Elijah Craig and Monkey Shoulder have been good to me. Just picked up a 1792 Full Proof for $35 from Hy-Vee because they had it marked wrong and honored the price.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Has this changed recently? When I was reading a year or two ago Tin Cup was sourcing their bourbon from MGP in Indiana then cutting it with Colorado water and aging it in house. (They do add a single digit percentage of Stranahan's, their other brand, which they distill in house.)
I enjoy Breckenridge Bourbon Distillers High Proof. I think they also source from MGP and then mixed with what they have distilled in house. Didn't Templeton do the same. The distillary is kind of gimicky with the highest claim and fresh snow melt, but the whiskey is actually pretty decent. Sometimes I sip alittle Tullamore Dew for a change of pace. Evan Williams at my dads place and Gentleman Jack at my brothers. Fireball at my daughters (she is still in college).

Attachments

• IMG_20171013_3263.jpg
    IMG_20171013_3263.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I'm a bourbon guy.

Best inexpensives:
Very Old Barton- can't be beat for 10-15 dollars
Weller Antique 107- probably my favorite bourbon and it's only 30 bucks. Hard to find though.

Anything buffalo trace is good. Knob is my go to in my small town. I really like Cedar Ridge's special casks, although their stuff is too young for my tastes.
Go-to for a buddy of mine at work is Blanton's. He's trying to collect all the different bottle toppers.