Whiskey

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
If you're a new whiskey drinker stick with the sweet mellow bourbons to start.

1. Makers Mark on rocks
2. Eagle Rare with splash of water
3. Cedar Ridge neat
4. Elijah Craig on rocks
5. Buffalo Trace as a shooter

For mixing you can't beat Evan Williams and coke or diet. It is freakin heaven. I mix 3/4 Evan and 1/4 coke and it's so smooth. Wife even likes it and she hates whiskey. Much better than Jack and it's only $15 per bottle.

If you want something not so mellow try Bulleit.

After you get through these try scotch. Then dump scotch down drain and go get more bourbon.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Currently at home I have a bottle of Jameson, 2 Gingers, and last night picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder (what a great name). Ideally over the next year or so I want to get up to a collection of 10-15 whiskeys at home so I have a good wide variety available.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm with @jcyclonee.....now I know why so many Irish men are sots. I think Irish whiskey is the best, although I normally drink Canadian whiskey (because I'm cheap). Never got used to Scotch, and I'm not a big bourbon fan, either. Jack Daniels is awful, IMO. One of the better affordable Canadian whiskeys I have found is Canadian Club's Classic 12 - yes, it's 12 years old and very smooth.

Every once in awhile I'll get a bottle of the flavored whiskeys, like the honey tinged type, or maybe the Knot. Templeton is good, but I think it's overpriced owing to reputation and locality.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
View attachment 50745

HERE IS WHAT NOT TO DRINK.

This was the well whiskey at a bar I worked at years ago. I drank it. I drank it a lot. I regret everything.
This is the well whisky my bar had. I'd rather drink Hawkeye than be one
024157-1.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: preacherH

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I'm with @jcyclonee.....now I know why so many Irish men are sots. I think Irish whiskey is the best, although I normally drink Canadian whiskey (because I'm cheap). Never got used to Scotch, and I'm not a big bourbon fan, either. Jack Daniels is awful, IMO. One of the better affordable Canadian whiskeys I have found is Canadian Club's Classic 12 - yes, it's 12 years old and very smooth.

Every once in awhile I'll get a bottle of the flavored whiskeys, like the honey tinged type, or maybe the Knot. Templeton is good, but I think it's overpriced owing to reputation and locality.

That's really good if you can find it.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Currently at home I have a bottle of Jameson, 2 Gingers, and last night picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder (what a great name). Ideally over the next year or so I want to get up to a collection of 10-15 whiskeys at home so I have a good wide variety available.
+1 on Monkey Shoulder, its one of the best values in Scottish Whisky. (Not that its inexpensive but a really good whisky for a moderate price)

• Winner
Reactions: preacherH

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Some good suggestions in here. If you are looking for something a little sweeter try the Knob Creek Maple. Really good.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
download.jpg

This is the well brand I remember mostly from college. Just looking at the bottle now makes me a little queasy.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
If you are looking for a good book, The World Atlas of Whisky by Dave Broom. Be forewarned it is almost half Scotch and half everything else.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't want to know how many gallons of Black Velvet we drank in college. I still sometimes get queasy if I even see a bottle of it.

I'm interested in getting into whiskeys and scotch. Seems like I need another expensive, and slightly unhealthy hobby to get into.

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I'm a bourbon guy.

Best inexpensives:
Very Old Barton- can't be beat for 10-15 dollars
Weller Antique 107- probably my favorite bourbon and it's only 30 bucks. Hard to find though.

Anything buffalo trace is good. Knob is my go to in my small town. I really like Cedar Ridge's special casks, although their stuff is too young for my tastes.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'm looking for a good bottle of bourbon priced between $60-$80, suggestions? I'm always trying something new and very rarely buy something twice. I'm the same way with craft beers.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
At that price point you might be able to score a bottle of Four Roses, which I've heard really good things about but have yet to pull the trigger on due to cost.
I have tried it and it's ok, but there is better one's at that price point(usually goes for $35 a bottle).

I have bought numerous bottles off the following site. Fun to try new things.
https://www.caskers.com/

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
If you're a new whiskey drinker stick with the sweet mellow bourbons to start.

1. Makers Mark on rocks
2. Eagle Rare with splash of water

Just had Eagle Rare for the first time recently, and it is Outstanding!

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm looking for a good bottle of bourbon priced between $60-$80, suggestions? I'm always trying something new and very rarely buy something twice. I'm the same way with craft beers.

Have you ever had Stagg? I've heard it's very good, around that price point, maybe a little higher.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
EH TAYLOR single barrel is a nice bourbon if someone wants to splurge ($60). Buffalo Trace Distillery does a nice job with their wide variety and price points.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron