Where should I move?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Lol..hillbillies are the only draw back. Love the seasonal weather, mountains, and lakes. Cost of living is cheap. Wages suck but if you can work remotely it's pretty nice down here
Schools and healthcare are meh.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Arizona is nice, but too damn hot. I had to carry a spatula around to get my balls to stop sticking to my leg.
Boise is pretty great. Arlo Pear and his family moved there so that is a plus.
Seattle and Portland are both fun.

I have only visited these places so I have no idea what the cost of living is like.

Albuquerque is one place I would not recommend. Unless you're a fan of murder and meth.

Reactions: Brett44

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Schools and healthcare are meh.
Meh is putting it mildly. Like I said, the hillbillies suck. They can't keep from piling garbage in their front yards. Education and healthcare?..lol. Good luck with these stupid bastards. I'm frequently reminded of the opening scene of Idiocracy

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
This thread got me thinking.
Firstly, probably wouldn’t move because it’d take a lot for my wife to reestablish her career. But if I did...

I think I’d go for a North Carolina city if I was feeling urban. Random anecdotal fact: I believe year round school is more common there. I’m a big fan of that idea on the surface.

Within 90 minutes of Boise if I wanted to “rough it” in the woods/mountains.

Have fun. A bit jealous of your situation. I’m begrudgingly working remotely, but still have to stay close by. Worst of both worlds.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Minneapolis as the upcoming winter is killing our spirits. The brutal cold essentially stops us from doing what we enjoy to do 5-6 months of the year and we can’t take it anymore. Our top three so far are Nashville, KC and Charlotte, but we are open to any and all suggestions.

-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Let’s hear some suggestions!

If you have any Nashville specific questions shoot me a DM. I’ve lived in the city for 5 years now and have a pretty good feel for the neighborhoods in the city and surrounding counties.

• Friendly
Reactions: gocy444 and aauummm

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If you’re having kids soon i would think about relocating somewhere near your or your wife’s parents. Having someone around to take the kids now and again or do some taxiing is a godsend.

Couldn't agree more. We moved away right after college and lived far from family for 6 years since our kids were born. we’ve never had family close until now (just moved near my wife’s family). We got maybe one weekend a year together as a couple without kids. And then maybe one other night a year where a friend could watch our kids. It was rough. We’re looking forward to many more date nights once the pandemic is over since grandparents are right down the road.

Along these same lines, when moving far from family (if planning for kids), consider travel time and cost. We were only 4 hrs drive from family, but we probably drove back 6-8 times a year. When you add up gas, hotels, kennel fees, and time itself, it gets pretty costly. Easily $300-$500 per trip.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Indianapolis is really a nice city. Lots to do downtown. Winters are much better than Iowa or Minnesota. Suburbs like Carmel and Fishers are really nice.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Random question - do any of you guys work remote and do a lot of traveling? Once you have kids it obviously gets harder to do, but I think it’d be awesome to be able to travel and experience different places and still be able to work full time.

I would love to bounce around the Southwest in the winter, and the PNW in the summer.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Minneapolis as the upcoming winter is killing our spirits. The brutal cold essentially stops us from doing what we enjoy to do 5-6 months of the year and we can’t take it anymore. Our top three so far are Nashville, KC and Charlotte, but we are open to any and all suggestions.

-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Let’s hear some suggestions!
My first suggestion would be to embrace winter and learn how to enjoy it. One advantage MSP has is the snow sticks around long enough you can actually go outside and enjoy it with activities like cross country skiing or snowmobiling. 10 degrees warmer may sound nice but in reality 0 or 10 below are both still pretty darn cold, wear a fleece under your winter jacket and just learn to layer up. MSP is well adapted to handle colder weather with plenty of things to do indoors like feed your golf habit and the DOT actually knows how to efficiently clear the roads of snow and make them drivable.

One suggestion to consider would be Portland. Cost of living and Wages are fairly comparable to MSP. Mild winters with plenty of things to do outdoors. You are a couple hours drive away from some world class downhill skiing, wind surfing, hiking, kayaking along with some very nice beaches. I have a couple cousins out there that brag about living on the Washington state side of the river and pay no state income tax and do their shopping on the Oregon side of the river where there is no sales tax. But, every time I ask them about property taxes they change the subject.

Fitting in politically is a mixed bag. You have some hard right and hard left politics where the one thing they have in common is they both like to complain about the government. From what I can tell, the moderates just sit back and watch the **** show and encourage the opposition to any policies they do not like. You can probably find a group you will fit into.

There is no perfect place. Figure out what is important to you and go with that. Being close to family when starting a family is also something to factor in.

Good luck with your decision.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My first suggestion would be to embrace winter and learn how to enjoy it. One advantage MSP has is the snow sticks around long enough you can actually go outside and enjoy it with activities like cross country skiing or snowmobiling. 10 degrees warmer may sound nice but in reality 0 or 10 below are both still pretty darn cold, wear a fleece under your winter jacket and just learn to layer up. MSP is well adapted to handle colder weather with plenty of things to do indoors like feed your golf habit and the DOT actually knows how to efficiently clear the roads of snow and make them drivable.

One suggestion to consider would be Portland. Cost of living and Wages are fairly comparable to MSP. Mild winters with plenty of things to do outdoors. You are a couple hours drive away from some world class downhill skiing, wind surfing, hiking, kayaking along with some very nice beaches. I have a couple cousins out there that brag about living on the Washington state side of the river and pay no state income tax and do their shopping on the Oregon side of the river where there is no sales tax. But, every time I ask them about property taxes they change the subject.

Fitting in politically is a mixed bag. You have some hard right and hard left politics where the one thing they have in common is they both like to complain about the government. From what I can tell, the moderates just sit back and watch the **** show and encourage the opposition to any policies they do not like. You can probably find a group you will fit into.

There is no perfect place. Figure out what is important to you and go with that. Being close to family when starting a family is also something to factor in.

Good luck with your decision.

We've discussed many times that, if we ever move, it will be to Portland. It's got some of everything, and the COL is very reasonable for the west coast.

Reactions: simply1

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
No mention of California? City of the Angels? Hello? You should want to pay income tax and property tax as doing your part to help your fellow human. Help your community. You guys are all selfish. And mean.

I will happily pay the Sunshine Tax again to leave the grey and cold midwest.

The day trips in and around SoCal are really missed by us.

That and actual perfect weather so we can be active and comfortable.

My property taxes tripled in Illinois vs California. Not even remotely worth it to live in this **** hole

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We moved to Atlanta from the Midwest last summer. Love it. Not having that impending doom/gloom of winter hanging over late fall is an awesome feeling. Also, it's great actually living the greenery and beautiful weather of the Masters in early April.

I cover the SE markets and each place originally mentioned has different attributes. The cool thing about Atlanta or even Charlotte to a lesser extent is you can drive to various places along the Gulf/Atlantic within 5 hours. Orlando/Tampa ~6 hours. Atlanta is big, but wouldn't be that much different than living in a pocket of the Twin Cities. The area we found (East Cobb) is about 1/3 Midwesterners, 1/3 Northeasterners, and 1/3 original southerners; a cool cultural mix.

Also an important consideration for us was easy flight access to family and friends in various Midwest markets.

Good luck!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Random question - do any of you guys work remote and do a lot of traveling? Once you have kids it obviously gets harder to do, but I think it’d be awesome to be able to travel and experience different places and still be able to work full time.

I would love to bounce around the Southwest in the winter, and the PNW in the summer.

We're looking into doing this to get a good idea of where we want to retire. The only problem we have had with this plan is that it's hard to find housing for only a month during the time of the year we want to try it out. My wife's employer and mine don't care where we work from.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Reno is kind of a s-hole but I'd live on the outskirts of the area in a heartbeat if I could find good work I enjoy there. Yeah the fires suck this year but it's an amazing climate and beauty if Sierras everywhere at a reasonable price.

Evil Californian here so what do I know.
I wish Reno was cheap like Vegas. Is there a cheaper major city in America to buy a home than Vegas? You can get a house with a swimming pool there for 200k.

Reactions: dmclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Agreed. I should check out carson city more because I don't know it that well but the location fits some of my retirement goals.

I'm surprised nobody in the thread brought up the south carolina cities. From what I've heard it might be ideal for op.
Ya but Charlotte is way more 'southern' than Richmond if you get my drift.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I love Durango but it isolated. Asheville is probably a 8 hour drive from like 50% of the US population. Legal weed and that consistent SW Colorado snowfall gives Durango the edge ( it I like to get Hogg and ski and snowboard), but if you need an airport it’s rough. I think myfamily that lives near Durango goes to like Farmington, NM to get flights and that’s not ideal either.