They pull your hair up, but not out
To turn into a man and have another chance at life
But if they pull it out they turn to bones
I don't want to hear this song! LOL

Or do I?

Reactions: RezClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Time to pull the plug on this thread. TJ isn't going anywhere.
And just to be clear, as OP I don't think I ever intimated that he would. I was just commenting on the article and how the P2 conference members probably think they can make anything happen with their brand new money printers.

Reactions: mjhavlo76

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
TJ's buyout is probably too rich for majority schools. Iowa State is owed 100% of his salary for the whole length if he leaves for another school iirc. That would put his buyout around 12 million (I believe his 3 mil salary goes up each year until 2028). Unless TJ wins a national championship. I just don't see many schools willing to pay that amount on top of the ungodly amount of cash they would probably need to offer to outbid Iowa state.

As it stands, Iowa State is TJ's dream job. He has made jokes about how he shouldn't say that in front of Pollard because it hurts his contract negotiations.
Those dollars are insignificant to those that might be interested.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Many of these people just want a list they can fantasize over. There is generally already a lack of reality awareness when fans are talking about their schools' HC job desirability.

Remember when Jay Wright and Greg Marshall were “candidates” for the Iowa State job before we hired Hoiberg?

Reactions: VeloClone

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
And just to be clear, as OP I don't think I ever intimated that he would. I was just commenting on the article and how the P2 conference members probably think they can make anything happen with their brand new money printers.

It was an interesting article giving credit to TJ, but they're just throwing his name against the wall to see if it sticks. Could have threw any name out there with absolutely no substance. But good post material nonetheless.

Reactions: t-noah

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Basketball =/= football

It's much easier to build a national power at a non-blue blood school in a "lower tier" conference. And at any rate, the Big 12 is the premier CBB conference already. The only thing the B1G/SEC can offer that he doesn’t already have is money.

Unlike Fred, I think TJ prefers CBB to the NBA so I don't see him going that route either. As long as we can pay him enough to be happy, I don't see him going anywhere.
TJ is smart enough to not go the NBA route because those primadonnas would refuse to put in the defensive effort and team first mindset that TJ's system requires

Xerxes_

Sep 10, 2023
I have zero concerns of TJ going to Michigan but let’s be honest the Michigan job should be one of the most coveted jobs in college basketball. Michigan has plenty of in state talent. Chicago also isn’t that far away. Also a lot of financial support there.

Is that certain?

It's become very clear that the B1G is a full on football conference now and they've been one of, if not the worst, major conference in basketball the last few seasons.

Ohio State is hell bent on making sure Michigan's reign comes to an end. Oregon has a bigger NIL war chest than anyone. Everyone else is going to have to pony up or get left in the dust.

Will there be such an arm's race to make sure the football programs are getting their cash that basketball gets pushed to the side?

Will the NIL resources be there for the basketball teams at B1G universities with big time football programs like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, PSU, & Oregon?

Last edited:
Reactions: RezClone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I remember lots of TJ haters pimping Porter Moser when TJ was hired. They were incensed that we paid TJ’s buyout. Same ones who pimped Prohm over TJ when Prohm was first hired. TJ is proving himself to be a coaching icon.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Argh! Michigan speculation here. Another reason to hate the B1G and SEC. They probably think they can just snap their fingers and get whatever coach they want. And they will have the money to back it up for many.

Juwan Howard – Michigan

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Season Record: 7-11
Overall Record: 86-59
The Juwan Howard era at Michigan has plummeted downhill since the team’s 23-5 season in 2020-21, and with multiple controversies surrounding the program and their head coach, it might already be time to pull the plug and start looking elsewhere for a new head man.
Administration needs to focus on landing an experienced coach and a strong recruiter, and if they can convince T.J. Otzelberger to leave Iowa State and the Big 12 they will be in a great position to return to prominence quickly.
Otzelberger has deep connections in the Midwest, has a strong reputation as a lead recruiter, and is a winning coach from his time at UNLV and now with the Cyclones in the loaded Big 12.
Replacement: T.J. Otzelberger (Iowa State)

Michigan is notorious for not paying their basketball coaches well. This is the reason Orr came to ISU from Michigan.

Reactions: t-noah

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Michigan is notorious for not paying their basketball coaches well. This is the reason Orr came to ISU from Michigan.
Are you really referencing an event close to 60 years ago? Because that isn’t even remotely true today.

The Michigan money cannon is always directed towards football but if basketball puts out a good product it will have more resources then it knows what to do with.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Are you really referencing an event close to 60 years ago? Because that isn’t even remotely true today.

The Michigan money cannon is always directed towards football but if basketball puts out a good product it will have more resources then it knows what to do with.
No, not even close to 60 years ago (WTF?), and this encompasses their entire history of paying (or not paying) basketball coaches.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No, not even close to 60 years ago (WTF?), and this encompasses their entire history of paying (or not paying) basketball coaches.
Sorry 45 years ago. I looked at the beginning of his tenure not the end, still doesn’t change my point.

Beiline was paid as a top ten coach, Howard is being paid as a top 15 coach with everything added in his contract. So again not sure where you’re getting this idea.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I mean, when Beilein was there he had a top 10 salary. Howard would probably be there too if he had the results the last couple years. Orr was 45 years ago. Salaries in college basketball in general hadn't really taken off at that point. We made Orr one of the highest paid coaches in the country in 1980, and that was paying only 45,000 (about 180k in today's money)

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Sorry 45 years ago. I looked at the beginning of his tenure not the end, still doesn’t change my point.

Beiline was paid as a top ten coach, Howard is being paid as a top 15 coach with everything added in his contract. So again not sure where you’re getting this idea.
Bill Frieder, Steve Fisher, Brian Ellerbe, and Tommy Amaker. Howard makes only $610,000 more than TJ in 2024.

Just write us an essay on how great the Big 10 is already.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Bill Frieder, Steve Fisher, Brian Ellerbe, and Tommy Amaker. Howard makes only $610,000 more than TJ in 2024.

Just write us an essay on how great the Big 10 is already.
Man you’re still going back 20+ years. I didn’t say anything about how great the big ten is, just simply saying that Michigan has more than enough money to pay their basketball coaches very well as they have shown for awhile.