What would cause TJ to move?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Michigan pays Howard $3.2 million compared to TJ at $2.5 million this year which increases to $3 million in July. We can easily hang with them.

Plus, Howard was national coach of the year, had a #1 seed and an Elite 8 and Sweet 16 appearance in the last 3 years. And they might fire him this year. Much more stability in Ames than Ann Arbor.
There's probably more stability in Ames than Ann Arbor. But it's important to remember that Howard has worn thin on Michigan fans (and probably the administration) for his prior incidents where his anger got out of hand (Maryland, Wisconsin, own training staff, plus others). So their performance is probably more of a nail in the coffin rather than the sole decider if he gets fired.

That being said, I would not be concerned about Otz leaving if the Michigan job was open.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Alford had his playing career to fall back on.
Yeah, that's probably gotten him 2 of his jobs all by itself. Which is still odd because any interaction with him and you'd see he's a phony douchebag.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The people reading these articles aren't interested in hearing about guys on the ADs call list that are going to have a 5 minute thanks but no thanks phone call. They want to know the people who are likely to take an interview and accept an offer. If you can't write an article about who some of those people will be, then you should sit it out until you can.
Many of these people just want a list they can fantasize over. There is generally already a lack of reality awareness when fans are talking about their schools' HC job desirability.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
TJ won’t leave. These writers are often instructed they need to write an article about an existing coaching vacancy in or upcoming vacancy. These writers have absolutely no clue who would be interested in the job; they simply list coaches who have been with a program for a short time while having great success. Often times the writers will include a local candidate as well. It’s nothing more than click bait

TJ is coaching in the top conference, with one of the best fan bases, and in one of the best arenas. That’s not even considering his ties to ISU run deep.

The only thing I could see TJ leaving within 10 years is if/when Pollard retires and TJ and the new AD don’t see eye to eye. But I highly doubt that would ever occur

If a new AD ran a successful TJ off there would be a major problem with the fan base to deal with.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
So do you have to pay a ghost in cryptocurrency?
Exactly!
The bones are the skeletons' money
In our world, bones equal dollars
That’s why they’re coming out tonight
To get their bones from you
The skeletons will pull your hair
Up, but not out
All they want is another chance at life
They’ve never seen so much food as this
Underground there’s half as much food as this
And the worms are their money
The bones are their dollars

And it was also the night that the skeletons came to life
The bones are their money
So are the worms
They pull your hair up, but not out
To turn into a man and have another chance at life
But if they pull it out they turn to bones

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Basketball =/= football

It's much easier to build a national power at a non-blue blood school in a "lower tier" conference. And at any rate, the Big 12 is the premier CBB conference already. The only thing the B1G/SEC can offer that he doesn’t already have is money.

Unlike Fred, I think TJ prefers CBB to the NBA so I don't see him going that route either. As long as we can pay him enough to be happy, I don't see him going anywhere.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
What would it take? Maybe the Midwest being taken over by the Russians in WW3? Then he would probably leave Ames.
Nah, TJ would trap the Russians and force them to turn the Midwest back over. Then he’d dunk on them in transition.

What would cause TJ to move? Ludacris. That’s it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
But can they teach defense?
images

Yes. And, clearly, Gal enjoys doing it.