What to do with Coach Prohm Poll..

What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As employees of the school Chris and Brent have to exercise constraint when discussing Prohm. Jared was able to be more blunt. He pointed out that Steve’s staff has a lot of dead weight and the program fails to develop its players. He also pointed out the flaws with how Prohm interacts with the media. I totally agree with that. I couldn’t believe it when Steve said the team needed to “stay the course” after they lost to SD ST. A team that is experiencing a steep decline needs to change.

This has been an issue even in the best times with CSP although those first two teams did play some really good basketball on both ends toward the end of the season.

But otherwise it's square peg/round hold type of deal and there hasn't always been a strength-based way about how the teams operate.

Reactions: BringBackJohnny

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
When he goes 0-36 in big 12 to finish out his career maybe the nice guy thing will get old to you. He’s not coaching here because he’s doing us some great charity or favor. He’s getting payed big bucks to handle a big time program he should be able to deliver us a single W in the Big12, it’s embarrassing.

Like I said before csp has to WIN at least ONE Game for Jamie Pollard to bring him back for next year.....

ZERO Conference wins and I just don't see how Jamie can bring steve back...Who in their right mind wants to buy season tickets to watch this dreadful basketball.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Like I said before csp has to WIN at least ONE Game for Jamie Pollard to bring him back for next year.....

ZERO Conference wins and I just don't see how Jamie can bring steve back...Who in their right mind wants to buy season tickets to watch this dreadful basketball.

When does a program lose relevancy, in the conference, in the media and with the fans? I would argue that one conference victory would not change anything relating to being a relevant program as we once were (recently). I understand the monetary issues related to COVID and the buyout, but unless CP has 5 or 6 conference victories with tangible player development, he's not making it to next year. He still has time, but his past few years is indicative of future results.

The other question I would have is how does success in the program and in ticket sales fit into Pollard's vision for Hilton upgrades. These would certainly be hard to fund with low attendance or enthusiasm. Thus, I think Pollard figures a way out if the program shows no progress at year's end.

Reactions: dntlpe

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Pretty sure there are $1,000,000 reasons we could attract Devries to ISU and still be paying less than we are now.

With Drake's record this season, Devries will be a hot name for coaching changes this off season. My bet is it's going to take $2+M reasons to attract Devries (or any successful mid-major coach) to ISU.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It would take some research but i wonder if a college basketball coach has ever had a 3+ year run of .300 in conference play (prohms current stat since 2017-18) and retained their job, let alone turned it around and gotten to ncaa tournament?

Found an "almost" -- Jim Christian at Boston College -- 3 years at that level in league play, then reached NIT the year after (lost in 1st round). He's 26-90 in ACC so far (10th is highest finish), in 7th season. Most recent NCAA appearance was in 2008 at Kent State, 3 schools ago.

• Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: NENick and Messi

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
With Drake's record this season, Devries will be a hot name for coaching changes this off season. My bet is it's going to take $2+M reasons to attract Devries (or any successful mid-major coach) to ISU.
He's an Iowa guy though, so we might be able to get him at a little bit of a discount. Drake is private so I dont think they publish their coaches salaries, but I'll assume he isn't making more than 500k. If we offered him in the ballpark of 1.7 I think he would go for it; who knows though. If we don't get him, I hope he sticks around at Drake. I've adopted them as my 2nd team.

Reactions: NWICY

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Jared says he hasnt made up his mind yet of he should be fired this year or not, but if pollard keeps him around next year it's big dance or bust. Also says no players who have stuck around for 3 years have gotten better. That its nice he can say he got these players to the nba, but the ones there were going there anyway.

Says you can't blame covid when its a multi year problem.

I think Steve played a significant role in some continued development with some of Fred's guys. I think he gave Niang, Morris, Burton, Naz and certainly Nader another wrinkle that helped get them to the league. Prohm in his first few years cleaned up some of ISU's sluggish, get down 20 and try to shoot your way into a comeback.

That said, I agree about the NBA guys once they were wholly his recruits.

• Disagree
  • Dislike
Reactions: cdfree and socalcy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

1-17 is a ridiculously low bar for a coach to keep his job. That is after the Cyclones won 5, 9 and 4 conference games in the last 3 years.

I find it tough to bring Prohm back with less than 4-5 wins this season. It would just be putting off a tough decision. And like others have said further damaging ISU's basketball program and making it tougher for the next coach.

IMO with the new transfer rule where players don't have to sit out, a coaching change is going to mean a program reset for all schools as the majority of players will transfer out.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He's an Iowa guy though, so we might be able to get him at a little bit of a discount. Drake is private so I dont think they publish their coaches salaries, but I'll assume he isn't making more than 500k. If we offered him in the ballpark of 1.7 I think he would go for it; who knows though. If we don't get him, I hope he sticks around at Drake. I've adopted them as my 2nd team.

So if ISU offers $1.7M. K-State offers $2.5M and Penn State offers $3M- he better love Iowa to give ISU a home state discount.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
remember when Okie St hired Underwood on the cheap? That worked well.

You pay the market rate for the best coach we can find. In today's world, that's 2.5M+.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
So if ISU offers $1.7M. K-State offers $2.5M and Penn State offers $3M- he better love Iowa to give ISU a home state discount.

I'd be shocked if K-state is looking for a new coach after this year. Did I miss something?

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I'd be shocked if K-state is looking for a new coach after this year. Did I miss something?
GBUez4q.gif

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Kansas State isn’t firing Webber and Penn State isn’t paying him that kind of cash.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
remember when Okie St hired Underwood on the cheap? That worked well.

You pay the market rate for the best coach we can find. In today's world, that's 2.5M+.

We aren’t paying a mid-major coach 2.5 million. You pay a lateral move 2.5-3.0 million.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
We aren’t paying a mid-major coach 2.5 million. You pay a lateral move 2.5-3.0 million.

Agree. JP has a long way to go to even begin to be competitive with the Big12 salaries. He certainly won't dish out 'big' money to any mid-major guy. Prohm is getting 9th place money and you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Surprised no one has mention Greg Marshall. A bit of a stain on his record with abuse charges, but a great coach.
.... You tell people to shut up about prohm if they dont have any good suggestions and then bring up greg marshall? Why not kirk ferentz?