• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
With Drake's record this season, Devries will be a hot name for coaching changes this off season. My bet is it's going to take $2+M reasons to attract Devries (or any successful mid-major coach) to ISU.

I have no faith JP will fire Prohm this offseason, I think it's going to cost us a shot at Devries, he'll be coveted this offseason. We'll be a year too late.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
.... You tell people to shut up about prohm if they dont have any good suggestions and then bring up greg marshall? Why not kirk ferentz?
Well, honestly people just bring up clones to Prohm. Up and coming mid major coaches with short job records. If we change, I want a proven “name” coach. If they are a great coach, but can’t recruit, who cares?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well, honestly people just bring up clones to Prohm. Up and coming mid major coaches with short job records. If we change, I want a proven “name” coach. If they are a great coach, but can’t recruit, who cares?

DeVries has proven at Drake that he can work with a changing line up and adapt to what is available. We haven't seen a decent defense for at least 3 yrs and our offense has been stagnant for 2. Every freaking yr Prohm says we are are going to have a defense presence and and every yr we have none. The only reason for hanging onto Prohm right now is to save money. If he gets next yr, if he doesn't get 20 wins just drop him. Losing records in MBB isn't something we have to tolerate.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Discussions of DeVries & Smith -- if those happened to be the ONLY choices (and I'd hope a search would be more encompassing) Smith has the advantage of a lengthier HC resume. There's more available to assess how he has performed over multiple seasons (and various programs). DeVries *might* be a better coach long-term or a better choice for ISU, but doesn't have the track record to suggest that (yet).

I tend to look at if a coach has won conference titles (or if not, has challenged seriously for it), frequency of reaching postseason and success in postseason. (At any level, but especially D-1)

Compare.

Smith

DeVries

Yes, there are other considerations (such as "fit" and "integrity" and such, none of which can be calculated).

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I have no faith JP will fire Prohm this offseason, I think it's going to cost us a shot at Devries, he'll be coveted this offseason. We'll be a year too late.

I don't see JP eating the buyout this year either. Hopefully Devries is still there and part of JP's short list evaluation.

I was thinking of what could be after watching the Baylor game last night. Could you image the number of cardiac arrests if we ever saw CSP roll out the out of bounds 'Purdy' play that Bill used at the end of the game?

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Discussions of DeVries & Smith -- if those happened to be the ONLY choices (and I'd hope a search would be more encompassing) Smith has the advantage of a lengthier HC resume. There's more available to assess how he has performed over multiple seasons (and various programs). DeVries *might* be a better coach long-term or a better choice for ISU, but doesn't have the track record to suggest that (yet).

I tend to look at if a coach has won conference titles (or if not, has challenged seriously for it), frequency of reaching postseason and success in postseason. (At any level, but especially D-1)

Compare.

Smith

DeVries

Yes, there are other considerations (such as "fit" and "integrity" and such, none of which can be calculated).

Deveries years as assistant are pretty valuable IMO, he's coached in winning programs for the last 20 years. His time at Creighton outweighs anything Smith has done prior to Utah St.

• Agree
Reactions: mplueg

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
If we are hiring awful people, let's go big or go home. Dave Bliss anyone?

If we go that route, I would hope we call Rick Pitino and get him out of Iona. He'd jump back to the P6 if he had the chance. {We'd have to pay him a good amount so he can use the cash to bring in top talent.}

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I guess I wouldn't take Prohm's failures to mean a young, successful mid-major coach can't win here. We just got the wrong guy. Doesn't mean the next Chris Beard, Scott Drew, etc. isn't sitting at a mid-major right now.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Prohm's been a guy who was in the right place at the right time, he's never had to build a program, never rebuilt a program, never built a program culture....he got handed the keys to successful programs. The difference between Murray and ISU is that at Murray, he left Murray before his predecessor's recruits were gone. Plenty of mid major coaches have rebuilt or built programs. Prohm has never done that, this is the only evidence we have of him rebuilding and it doesn't bode well that he's capable.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
  • Love
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I hear there are a lot of high school coaches who want the job. You all really want to ditch Prohm? He simply just recruited a bit too well, got one and dones and two and dones. They scared off future recruits and then left early.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron