• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I would love someone with the energy Shaka Smart brings to his team. He is so engaged in his team playing Tech right now.

Reactions: CyBobby and socalcy

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I always felt Leath hired Prohm, Prohm just isn’t pollards style...hard to think the same guy that hired Fred hired this guy.

but Jaime did the extension, that’s on him

not sure if Bama was real or not, but if it was Jaime should have let him go, basketball people knew steve was not going to work here well before then, there were many many red flags...and he could have given him a token contract instead of this insane contract he has now

nobody has done more in my lifetime for Iowa state than Jaime pollard, I love the guy, but that was a horrific mistake

that decision will really tarnish Jaime unless he strikes gold with the next coach, and honestly, I’m not sure I love him picking the next basketball coach after that extension...too bad for both parties
Jamie

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I always felt Leath hired Prohm, Prohm just isn’t pollards style...hard to think the same guy that hired Fred hired this guy.

but Jaime did the extension, that’s on him

not sure if Bama was real or not, but if it was Jaime should have let him go, basketball people knew steve was not going to work here well before then, there were many many red flags...and he could have given him a token contract instead of this insane contract he has now

nobody has done more in my lifetime for Iowa state than Jaime pollard, I love the guy, but that was a horrific mistake

that decision will really tarnish Jaime unless he strikes gold with the next coach, and honestly, I’m not sure I love him picking the next basketball coach after that extension...too bad for both parties

I thought I read a while back that Fred recommended him. Prohm had called Hoiberg and asked if they could discuss offense, knowing they'd never compete.

• Funny
Reactions: socalcy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If you want to get rid of Prohm, suggest a replacement we could currently get who is better. Or shut up.
There are many coaches out there better than Prohm, I was just watching the TT/UT game, I had forgotten what it is like to watch good basketball.

Give a look at the guy from Drake, 2 20 wins seasons and they are undefeated right now. I said, give him a look, not a sure fire hire. But there are a lot of coaches, the problem is finding on that can win at ISU. I thought McDermott was a homerun hire, and we all saw that he just couldn't coach at a high level in the Big 12, at that time in his career. Looks like he has learned his lesson and improved in his current job.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I thought I read a while back that Fred recommended him. Prohm had called Hoiberg and asked if they could discuss offense, knowing they'd never compete.
Might be true, but im sure you can find all sorts of big 12 coaches talking about how great Prohm is just after kicking our teeth in. Coach speak is a thing.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We heard on the Blum/C dub quarantine pod this past week that ISU has not been as horrible as we think defensively in conference play. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Double down on the other side of the ball and bring in the Grinnell coach, let some of his players come over as walk-ons. That would fix our offense in a hurry.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
sure but there’s a difference between competing in the big 10 west and the big 12. Fred will get them competing but the route he takes to obtain talent has gotten much tougher since more people are taking it. It will be interesting to see how the next couple years goes for him.
No it hasn't- it has gotten easier to get transfers now more than ever before. There are more of them and the odds of getting a good player has gone up. Yeah, no more Royce White's out there but there are a ton of Chris Allen's, Chris and Nick Babb and others to be had and Fred has gotten his share already. It may be just as easy to get a decent transfer as it is a HS player. Also have to consider how lousy it is to recruit to Nebraska. Worst P6 program ever? It is up for discussion

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
If you want to get rid of Prohm, suggest a replacement we could currently get who is better. Or shut up.
We could hire a good number of coaches to finish 9th or 10th in the conference 3 out of 4 years with his guys. We could hire anyone to not have a single winning record in conference play without Hoiberg's guys. Where do you want to start?

If a change happens, I think the decision has already been made for TJ to be the first call regardless of how his season goes.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and huntt26

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We heard on the Blum/C dub quarantine pod this past week that ISU has not been as horrible as we think defensively in conference play. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Double down on the other side of the ball and bring in the Grinnell coach, let some of his players come over as walk-ons. That would fix our offense in a hurry.

1610605620696.png

Last two columns to the right.

The defense has been inconsistent -- it was very good against WVU, Jackson St. (as much as an opponent like that tells you), and Baylor, but it has been mediocre to bad otherwise.

We are #120 overall on Bart Torvik, #117 on offense and #137 on defense. Neither is good.

As you can see above, we have had a few games where the offense was good (e.g., higher than 110 points per 100 adjusted for the opponent), but not consistent enough at this point.

We haven't had a game where the two really hit together, so hence we have no Big 12 wins.

You put the offense from the Texas game with the defense from the West Virginia game together and you have yourself an okay team, but we are pretty far from doing that right now.

Much as I love CW and BB, we're just kind of broken on both sides of the ball right now. In the past Prohm tended to have good offenses and bad defenses, but now we are just bad.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I applaud those who made constructive suggestions. Craig Smith and Darian Devries might be worth a look. My fear is that Prohm had a similar, if not better track record and pedigree at the time we hired him.

Coaching in the Big 12 is tough - you are coaching against Scott Drew, Bill Self, Bob Huggins, et. Al. Unless we can get a blockbuster coach with a big name and credentials to match those coaches, I’d rather hope that we have a recruiter who we can grow into a Big12 coach with help, rather than going after the latest wunderkind.

For those of you who simply state anyone would be better or do as well, you are delusional.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Pay the $5M and be done with it. I’m just worried about who Pollard would pick to replace him with.

Pollard has the ability to ID coaching talent (Underwood was a finalist with Prohm, Harbaugh and Brian Kelly were finalists with Chizik, he snagged Hoiberg from no where). But it’s making that final pick where he’s been 50/50 (which isn’t bad for an AD with his tenure).

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yes his 0-5 big Ten record would make for a pretty even trade. His time is done, everyone does the things he did now with tempos pacing and transfers. Otz not looking very good either. Who you realistically going to get? Finances and lack of good candidates is why Prohm has one more year to right the ship. A defensive/rebounding guru for an assistant would help.

If you haven’t brought in a defensive/rebounding guru after year 6 and when you’ve finished in the basement of the conference 3 of the last 4 years, he’s not going to do it in Year 7.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron