What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Yeah hate to say it and will be getting a lot of hate, but the game has caught up to Fred and passed him in a lot of ways. Flash in the pan sounds harsh, but he definitely caught lightning in a bottle those years he really had his thing going on. I think we'd still be in a better place with him than with Steve, program stability goes a long way. It's probably naive to think he would have been immune to a rebuilding year here and there, though.
What? He is in year 2 at Nebraska and has a 5 star coming his way next year. Nebraska has been terrible and the transfer market is much rougher than when he did it here. I expect it will take him a bit longer to turn things around there. It isnt like he walked into a top team at Nebraska. I think they finished like 13th in the big 10 the year before he took over.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
What? He is in year 2 at Nebraska and has a 5 star coming his way next year. Nebraska has been terrible and the transfer market is much rougher than when he did it here. I expect it will take him a bit longer to turn things around there. It isnt like he walked into a top team at Nebraska. I think they finished like 13th in the big 10 the year before he took over.

sure but there’s a difference between competing in the big 10 west and the big 12. Fred will get them competing but the route he takes to obtain talent has gotten much tougher since more people are taking it. It will be interesting to see how the next couple years goes for him.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
We have 3 role-players left from the '16,'17,'18 and '19 classes combined. We had two guys leave for the NBA and whatever you'd call LW's departure. 4 recruiting classes produced 6 big 12 caliber players, 3 of which are fairly low ceiling guys. That points to either very poor recruiting, poor development or both. Idk what more proof a person would need to see this staff can't get it done.

Looking back, it's interesting to see where we'd be had Prohm not landed Shayok. They finished 5th with him, had he not been here....yikes. Prohm owes him a chunk of that extension.

I was looking back at Prohm's recruiting success of freshman and came to pretty much the same conclusion.

Solo is at a replacement level big man (would be an average player on an average Big 12 team). Maybe he's a touch above that, but the poor rebounding rate has always held him back.
Tre plays quite a few minutes and is not quite at a replacement level guard.
Conditt has been below replacement level except for his first 1/3 of the season last year (but plays because he has to)

Wigginton, THT, and Haliburton left to play pro ball after a year or 2 at Iowa State. Good for them and good for Prohm for getting their talent here.

The rest -
PlayerClassNote
Simeon Carter
2015​
Transfer after 2 years
Brady Ernst
2015​
Transfer after 1 year
Jakolby Long
2016​
Transfer after 2 years
Cameron Lard
2016​
Enrolls the next year, good 1st year, head case
Terrence Lewis
2017​
Transfer after 3 years
Zion Griffin
2018​
Transfer after 2 years
Caleb Grill
2019​
Transfer after 1 year
Luke Anderson
2019​
Transfer before a game played
Marcedus Leech
2019​
Transfer before a game played

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah hate to say it and will be getting a lot of hate, but the game has caught up to Fred and passed him in a lot of ways. Flash in the pan sounds harsh, but he definitely caught lightning in a bottle those years he really had his thing going on. I think we'd still be in a better place with him than with Steve, program stability goes a long way. It's probably naive to think he would have been immune to a rebuilding year here and there, though.

Other programs are wise to the transfer market now -- especially with freebie transfers/free agency coming.

Coaches have figured out to defend that offense. Other coaches have copied that offense.

Bill Self basically said, "Let's do what Fred's doing -- only do it with 5* talent."

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Fred had us as a big 12 champion, top 15 program, with one of top home courts advantages in the country. Then Paint Chip Prohm came along with his golly gee guys open mic night at Hilton and turned us into the joke of the B12.
I don't appreciate the tone of this post. It's not going to work out for Steve, but taking shots at his mannerisms and how he conducts himself is low.

He conducts himself with class and, by every indication, loves ISU and probably would have retired here had it worked out, which is more than we can say for a lot of ISU coaches. It's really crappy it's not going to work, and I imagine it bothers Steve more than anyone.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

That Team Transfer opportunity he was able to create was clearly a once-in-a-lifetime roster opportunity. It was clear at the time. That stuff doesn't happen everyday.
Nebraska's definitely a tougher rebuild. I think he'll get it going, too.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
when one of your favorite lines is "leave your jersey in a better place" - its really going to crush Steve considering how many bad losses have been on his watch.

Reactions: socalcy

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
That Team Transfer opportunity he was able to create was clearly a once-in-a-lifetime roster opportunity. It was clear at the time. That stuff doesn't happen everyday.
Nebraska's definitely a tougher rebuild. I think he'll get it going, too.
Time will tell. He could definitely flame out. A lot of your job hinges on teenagers, and it is the only power program without an NCAA win. Success at Nebraska might look a lot different than success at other programs. At least initially.

His recruiting seems to be on the up and up. Much like us this year, he has had a lot of top 25 matchups already.

A lot more goes into it than just being a good coach. Mcdermott for example was good before isu, terrible at isu, and good after.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
personally, I’d rather lose guys that aren’t able to play at a big 12 level caliber and try and replace them with better talent than rather lose the talented guys to other teams due to transfer and try and replace them.
Don’t you think players transferring down indicate some issues with talent identification? Sure you can look at THT and Halliburton on the high side but it is kind of hit and miss with little in between.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Don’t you think players transferring down indicate some issues with talent identification? Sure you can look at THT and Halliburton on the high side but it is kind of hit and miss with little in between.

sure but he’s not going to be perfect on every recruit. No coach is and it’s short sighted to assume there won’t be transfers out of a strong majority of programs every year. As long as the team I root for is on the side of having athe lower end players transfer out and the coach is trying to replace them with better players, then I’m all for it.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Keep in mind 5 million is on payout. How much lost revenue will there be keeping him?

yeah, I’m glad I don’t have to make that call. It’s a challenging time with a poor situation for funding with Covid. As well, you’re potentially looking at paying for another coaches buyout (unless maybe an assistant coach or some that’s not currently coaching falls into your lap?) plus the new coaches salary. I don’t envy JP at all.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I know I’ll get blasted for this but I’m ok with Jamie giving Prohm the contract extension after the 18-19 season. Coming off a decent season. We had a decent core group of guys returning. I don’t know if it was this year or not but I believe Alabama was knocking to try and poach him. There’s plenty of negative recruiting out there that other coaches will use to try and lure recruits away (noting that coach x won’t be there too long as they’ll get fired, leave and take another job, etc...). It’s helpful to have a few years on the contract to combat against that.

hindsight though, maybe JP looks at things a little differently and heavily loads the incentives but makes the buyout smaller? Who knows?
If he would have taken the Alabama job then it is very likely we have Nate Oates. Oh the horror.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I know I’ll get blasted for this but I’m ok with Jamie giving Prohm the contract extension after the 18-19 season. Coming off a decent season. We had a decent core group of guys returning. I don’t know if it was this year or not but I believe Alabama was knocking to try and poach him. There’s plenty of negative recruiting out there that other coaches will use to try and lure recruits away (noting that coach x won’t be there too long as they’ll get fired, leave and take another job, etc...). It’s helpful to have a few years on the contract to combat against that.

hindsight though, maybe JP looks at things a little differently and heavily loads the incentives but makes the buyout smaller? Who knows?

I always felt Leath hired Prohm, Prohm just isn’t pollards style...hard to think the same guy that hired Fred hired this guy.

but Jaime did the extension, that’s on him

not sure if Bama was real or not, but if it was Jaime should have let him go, basketball people knew steve was not going to work here well before then, there were many many red flags...and he could have given him a token contract instead of this insane contract he has now

nobody has done more in my lifetime for Iowa state than Jaime pollard, I love the guy, but that was a horrific mistake

that decision will really tarnish Jaime unless he strikes gold with the next coach, and honestly, I’m not sure I love him picking the next basketball coach after that extension...too bad for both parties

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron