• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Which is the crux of the issue. The guys he's losing to transfer are guys he recruited who aren't able to play at a Big 12 level and leave for lesser competition. I think you could maybe see some more of that.

As long as these seven are back next year...

Harris
Jackson
Hunter
Bolton
Hinson
Johnson
Foster

...then I am not sure any of our departures would be net negatives.

Of course, you can afford to have most of your freshman class not pan out when you're an established program who can reliably recruit superior replacements. If the Walker-Blackwell-Dubar-Foster class is mostly a dud, and it is so far, then we really have no hope for the future and Prohm will be given a cardboard box to pack up his stuff.

Cykobabble

Oct 22, 2009
As long as these seven are back next year...

Harris
Jackson
Hunter
Bolton
Hinson
Johnson
Foster

...then I am not sure any of our departures would be net negatives.

Of course, you can afford to have most of your freshman class not pan out when you're an established program who can reliably recruit superior replacements. If the Walker-Blackwell-Dubar-Foster class is mostly a dud, and it is so far, then we really have no hope for the future and Prohm will be given a cardboard box to pack up his stuff.
Conditt has not performed at Big XII caliber level as a junior, and I don't see it happening anytime soon. I can see him transferring.

• Agree
Reactions: JimDogRock

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
personally, I’d rather lose guys that aren’t able to play at a big 12 level caliber and try and replace them with better talent than rather lose the talented guys to other teams due to transfer and try and replace them.
Well sure, no one wants to lose big 12 talent. our problem is we dont have any big 12 contributers riding the bench. None of our big 12 level caliber players are buried in the depth chart. We have 4 players averaging 12 pts or more, and then our next guy is at 5.9 points, 1.3 rebounds, and less than one assist and steal per game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Conditt has not performed at Big XII caliber level as a junior, and I don't see it happening anytime soon. I can see him transferring.

Yes, and that is why I don't have him on the list.

Conditt hasn't developed. Solomon might call it a career. Foster is coming back from surgery.

Foster really needs to come back and pan out.

Manufacturing Big 12 big men out of thin air is virtually impossible, but we might have to do it. :/

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Here’s the best possible situation, IMO, from Prohm to succeed and begin a new phase of sustained success.

1. Understand this year is moot and run all strategies through a next year mindset.
2. Play the young core of Walker, Dubar, Dudley, Jackson as much as you can. Let Jaden run point.
3. Find some wins in Feb. You likely won’t win in January with the schedule, but for any confidence and momentum, some wins in Feb are a must. Cant lose out.
4. The day after you are bounced from the big 12 tourney, the new year begins. Prohm HAS to keep the young core intact, no transfers. If he sees the roster movement like the last couple of years, it’s over. Continuity and Tenure are formulas that win college basketball, we haven’t had that in 3 years. But has to start with a new core.
5. Conditt needs to show something, anything...that resembles a Junior in this league. Hopefully that success to end this year leads to a big offseason and solid SR year (because this team will need it)
6. Hunter and Hinson stay committed and are as advertised. If so, it brings better balance to the roles, shifts Bolton to his natural 2. Hinson becomes a bigger, better version of JCL.

If those things happen, full summer prep, fans at Hilton, Iowa at home, SEC opponent at home (hopefully) and and easier scheduled non con...then you may have something. Granted that is a lot to ask and no wiggle room, but that’s the reality CSP is in. So I am willing to see how Feb plays out, hopefully it’s the start of something.

The problem is believe this team has talent and should have a better record than what we currently have. I do not think the non conference can get much easier, I mean we have lost to some awful awful teams. The man cannot coach at this level, and remember he was handed the keys to the kingdom twice, his first year at murray the roster was loaded as well.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
personally, I’d rather lose guys that aren’t able to play at a big 12 level caliber and try and replace them with better talent than rather lose the talented guys to other teams due to transfer and try and replace them.
I would rather he actually be able to recruit talented 4 year players.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Part of me says cut the cord at the end of the season but in reality that isn't going to happen. We have a very young team and losing all of that development time is a massive blow. He will be back next year but it will be his last season if the team doesn't show tremendous growth.
We are actually a pretty experienced team when looking at our key players years in college:
2 Years- Jackson
3 years - Bolton, Conditt, Harris
4 years - Johnson
5 years - Coleman Land, Young

I like the athleticism of our 4 freshman, but the only one whose on court play has indicated he is a future starter is Foster. The other 3 haven't shown much offensive skill.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
We are actually a pretty experienced team when looking at our key players years in college:
2 Years- Jackson
3 years - Bolton, Conditt, Harris
4 years - Johnson
5 years - Coleman Land, Young

I like the athleticism of our 4 freshman, but the only one whose on court play has indicated he is a future starter is Foster. The other 3 haven't shown much offensive skill.
Yes. You have to go 7 deep to find a freshman. Our top 6 in minutes per game have an average of 3.6 years in college basketball.

Kentucky for example is 2.16. 3 players are freshman. 1 sophomore, and 2 seniors.

I think texas tech is at 2.83.

If you take offense to using 5 years for players like young, we are still at 3.33.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Prohm has yet to lose a real contributor to a transfer.
I think you have to amend that when it comes to Grill at this point. Shooting 39% from 3 at UNLV this year and averaging 3 makes a game. 11.7 points per game for UNLV as a soph seems like a lost contributor to me.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think you have to amend that when it comes to Grill at this point. Shooting 39% from 3 at UNLV this year and averaging 3 makes a game. 11.7 points per game for UNLV as a soph seems like a lost contributor to me.

I would have rather kept Grill than not.

Then again, he is doing that on a team that is 1-6 (only win over Kansas State, somehow) and just got 0-2'd by Colorado State and our old pal Niko. BT has UNLV as the #132 best team in the country.

BT has the Mountain West as the 11th best country nationally, behind all P6 conferences plus the American, WCC, the A-10, and the Missouri Valley Conference. It is only just ahead of C*USA.

If we were receiving a transfer *up* of a volume scorer from one of the worse teams in the worst mid-major conference, we would rightfully be skeptical if he was going to be able to contribute in the Big 12.

Grill is probably the best example you could find, but the case is pretty weak. He's at the right level now.

Grill isn't Wesley Johnson, who would eventually terrorize the old Big East and get picked in the lottery.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Pay the $5M and be done with it. I’m just worried about who Pollard would pick to replace him with.
That’s the point! You better have someone better in mind or we become like so many schools, searching over and over for the miracle coach. exhibit A - Nebraska football.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That’s the point! You better have someone better in mind or we become like so many schools, searching over and over for the miracle coach. exhibit A - Nebraska football.

Even when you make the consensus "right pick" and lauded by the national media for it, well, then you can still be completely and utterly wrong. Which sets your program back another 5-10 years.

Chizik for Iowa State was one of those. Frost is currently one for Nebraska.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I’m concerned about after next season. A lot of guys will be done. That is when Campbell could be lured away. With a 30 MM AD hole, I will take poor basketball to guarantee great football.
Gee - kinda think Campbell and staff like to take recruits to exciting, winning basketball games at Hilton when they host them?

• Winner
Reactions: Land Shark

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Don't agree. There are many, many very good or great basketball coaches waiting to be contacted. They don't have to be "names" that fans easily recognize.
Example: Pat Knight and his staff were fired from TTech - who knew that a little known asst on that staff - Chris Beard - was 10 times the coach that Pat was.
And Beard was hired as HC later on; I would call the result a "miracle."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron