What to do with Coach Prohm Poll..

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
every coach brings in multiple players each year that aren’t big 12 (or make your conference) quality basketball players. That’s the nature of the beast when you bring in 3,4, or more recruits every year. I think we’re probably getting at the same point that ultimately what you need is talent but I’m of the opinion that coaches probably need atleast one middle of the pack player and one dude each year to compete for a league title. At a minimum, probably two players that are of the caliber that can play and hold their own and in either instance it could be through HS recruits, JCs or transfers.

I don’t think Prohm fails at bringing talent in, it’s his in game coaching and management that has failed him.

I always thought the Haliburton-THT-Griffin-Conditt class would make or break Prohm.

Seems so far that it is breaking him.

Two of them were absolute studs with loads of potential... to the point they were too good for college ball.

The other two are total busts.

So we end up with 0/4 of them really being significant contributors as upperclassmen.

The vaporization of that class (from the perspective of Iowa State) is dooming us.

If we were playing this lineup right now...

Haliburton
Bolton
Horton-Tucker
Johnson
Young

...or something like that, then we're actually pretty good. But we're not.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
The decider of that argument would be seeing what those numbers looked like, say, each of the past five years.

We have no way of knowing if the above is a low outlier or pretty typical.
Beat me to it! I was wondering how that compared to years past.

agree. would be a lot of work to go thru though

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I always thought the Haliburton-THT-Griffin-Conditt class would make or break Prohm.

Two of them were absolute studs with loads of potential... to the point they were too good for college ball.

So we end up with 0/4 of them really being significant contributors as upperclassmen.

The vaporization of that class (from the perspective of Iowa State) is dooming us.

Haliburton
Bolton
Horton-Tucker
Johnson
Young

half the 2018 class at least had college and post college success. even Conditt gave you 8 mpg in Big 12 play as a freshman and won a conference tournament ring

the 2019 class will go down as one of the worst in recent history. 3 of the 4 left isu, 2 of which never playing a minute

for 2020 all 4 are still here but the 3 healthy give you a combined 7 ppg so far

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Haliburton
Bolton
Horton-Tucker
Johnson
Young

yeah but it’s not an 0 for 4 from a recruiting standpoint. You’re never going to say you wish you didn’t have haliburton or tht come to ISU because they left early are you? The key is bringing in talent before and after those departures to replace them. The year after that you brought in what grill and tre? Not really replacing your talent. You wouldn’t say coach cal goes 0 for whatever when recruiting would you because he brought in a bunch of 5 stars that go to the league after would you?

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Just in general the teams that are playing at a high level are constructed with experience and upper classmen. It's not a good year to be young.
We arent young. One freshman in our top 8 for minutes played and that is Dubar at #6. Probably will drop to #7 once Tre Jackson plays a few more games.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
every coach brings in multiple players each year that aren’t big 12 (or make your conference) quality basketball players. That’s the nature of the beast when you bring in 3,4, or more recruits every year. I think we’re probably getting at the same point that ultimately what you need is talent but I’m of the opinion that coaches probably need atleast one middle of the pack player and one dude each year to compete for a league title. At a minimum, probably two players that are of the caliber that can play and hold their own and in either instance it could be through HS recruits, JCs or transfers.

I don’t think Prohm fails at bringing talent in, it’s his in game coaching and management that has failed him.

The last two years there's been an absolute absence of talent compared to our competition. He's certainly had a few hits personnel wise, but he's had waaaaay more misses than is sustainable.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We have 3 role-players left from the '16,'17,'18 and '19 classes combined. We had two guys leave for the NBA and whatever you'd call LW's departure. 4 recruiting classes produced 6 big 12 caliber players, 3 of which are fairly low ceiling guys. That points to either very poor recruiting, poor development or both. Idk what more proof a person would need to see this staff can't get it done.

Looking back, it's interesting to see where we'd be had Prohm not landed Shayok. They finished 5th with him, had he not been here....yikes. Prohm owes him a chunk of that extension.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
You're right that nobody knows for sure. You could tell 2 weeks into their freshman seasons guys like Wigginton, Lard, THT, and Haliburton were top Big 12 talent that could win alot of games. I dont see that with this group at all just based off the eye test so far.

Prohm's record on development doesn't give me much hope either but I guess its possible.
WHAT DEVELOPMENT...I agree with your comment Prohm players just dont seem to ever get much better....

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
On a radio show this morning both guys agreed that ..."This seems like the last days of the Paul Rhoads tenure at ISU"

I think it's hit the "what level of success is necessary to make you believe in the guy" point. I just don't see any path forward in the time period he is, which is probably a year minimum and two years maximum, to take the strides necessary to win people back. It's just too far gone at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I would not have said this earlier in the year. But, If we lose out or we don’t see the young guys, after that press conference and what was clearly a guy mentally gone, I think pollard has to pull the trigger. It’s just so much worse than I could have imagined right now.

its worse than I imagined but we knew this team would be terrible.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Much has been said over the years about Prohm's inconsistencies with rotational minutes for players, odd stints in the doghouse, and of course bad rebounding ability all around.

For sh*ts 'n' giggles I got curious today and compared a few career stats for the bigs on this roster in hopes of getting an understanding of their overall effectiveness around the rim based on minutes played - hopefully seeing past the proverbial eye test or personal bias. I omitted Solo's injury year in which he only showed up for a few games at the start of the year. Granted I'm no statistician, so chime in with any feedback.

I took season averages of each category, broke them out by minutes played per game, and weighted the final average according to number of games played per season. Here's what I got:

Career Averages
MINS / GREB / min PTS / min PFS / minTO / G
Big 112.00.260.320.150.96
Big 222.20.200.330.111.11

B1: Conditt IV
B2: Young

George obviously isn't a savior, but statistically speaking there's no reason he shouldn't get longer runs than he is. Want to fix his frustrations? Let him play through them. At the very least give he and Solo a 50/50 split. Solo has very mediocre numbers, poor rebounding, yet has received very regular minutes since his freshman year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yes his 0-5 big Ten record would make for a pretty even trade. His time is done, everyone does the things he did now with tempos pacing and transfers. Otz not looking very good either. Who you realistically going to get? Finances and lack of good candidates is why Prohm has one more year to right the ship. A defensive/rebounding guru for an assistant would help.
Yeah hate to say it and will be getting a lot of hate, but the game has caught up to Fred and passed him in a lot of ways. Flash in the pan sounds harsh, but he definitely caught lightning in a bottle those years he really had his thing going on. I think we'd still be in a better place with him than with Steve, program stability goes a long way. It's probably naive to think he would have been immune to a rebuilding year here and there, though.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I know I’ll get blasted for this but I’m ok with Jamie giving Prohm the contract extension after the 18-19 season. Coming off a decent season. We had a decent core group of guys returning. I don’t know if it was this year or not but I believe Alabama was knocking to try and poach him. There’s plenty of negative recruiting out there that other coaches will use to try and lure recruits away (noting that coach x won’t be there too long as they’ll get fired, leave and take another job, etc...). It’s helpful to have a few years on the contract to combat against that.

hindsight though, maybe JP looks at things a little differently and heavily loads the incentives but makes the buyout smaller? Who knows?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Jamie pollard has done amazing things for ISU. Historically great things

But he’s 1 for 3 on basketball hires and his condescending email to the fans last winter after the FAMU loss was quite the snafu

I’m all for Jamie’s work here and am willing to give him multiple passes. The football program is eons ahead of where it was when he took over. Wrestling seems to be in a good place. Women’s volleyball has been entertaining. Women’s basketball has been consistent and men’s basketball has had some highs and lows but in general has been pretty good. With that being said, it’s time to make a move with men’s bball.