WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Iowa is going to win a title folks. They are a lot better than this South Carolina and Maryland team I’m watching.

Iowa has just put on a clinic lately. They are VERY good.
Seriously, did you watch the first quarter and then stop? South Carolina had 25 offensive rebounds, and Maryland had 26 total for the game. South Carolina plays at another level.

Iowa and Maryland play very similar styles, up-tempo, and not a lot of defense. South Carolina can easily play an up-tempo offense but can play lock-down defense. Iowa has not played anyone with the size South Carolina has. Did you watch Aliyah Boston stand straight up and block shot after shot, put the ball on the floor at the top of the key, and drive to the basket?

Iowa has to shoot lights out to win as they did on Sunday night.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Seriously, did you watch the first quarter and then stop? South Carolina had 25 offensive rebounds, and Maryland had 26 total for the game. South Carolina plays at another level.

Iowa and Maryland play very similar styles, up-tempo, and not a lot of defense. South Carolina can easily play an up-tempo offense but can play lock-down defense. Iowa has not played anyone with the size South Carolina has. Did you watch Aliyah Boston stand straight up and block shot after shot, put the ball on the floor at the top of the key, and drive to the basket?

I agree. SC seems to be able to morph to meet whatever challenge is put before it. They have an incredibly deep bench with little drop off. I see the Iowa matchup as being the immovable object and the irresistible force. Going to be fun to watch.

The other game had one surprise for me…how easily VT chewed up OSU's press. That was impressive.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I agree. SC seems to be able to morph to meet whatever challenge is put before it. They have an incredibly deep bench with little drop off. I see the Iowa matchup as being the immovable object and the irresistible force. Going to be fun to watch.

The other game had one surprise for me…how easily VT chewed up OSU's press. That was impressive.

I loved the play of "Aussie" Georgia Amoore.from VT. She was barely able to stand up after she took a vicious hit to her chin. They were helping her into the tunnel & all of a sudden she is back on the bench & eager to return to the game. She was so fun to watch with her quickness/passing breaking the press.
Also has a good rapport with the coach. Numerous times (on her own terms), she went over to him during the game & had discussions.

Kitley is also a great plyer. Cool story about how Amoore stayed with Kitley's family for 4 months during covid. She didn't think she would be able to return to the US.

Wish that I had watched more VT games during the season. They are a humble group & fun to watch! Go Hokies!!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I loved the play of "Aussie" Georgia Amoore.from VT. She was barely able to stand up after she took a vicious hit to her chin. They were helping her into the tunnel & all of a sudden she is back on the bench & eager to return to the game. She was so fun to watch with her quickness/passing breaking the press.
Also has a good rapport with the coach. Numerous times (on her own terms), she went over to him during the game & had discussions.

Kitley is also a great plyer. Cool story about how Amoore stayed with Kitley's family for 4 months during covid. She didn't think she would be able to return to the US.

WIsh I could have watched more VT games during the season. They are a humble group & fun to watch! Go Hokies!!
Amoore was impressive against tOSU, good floor general, made some really sharp passes and clutch 3s.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa is going to have to be super hot from 3 and limit the turnovers to have a chance against South Carolina. They are very athletic, big and physical. Iowa is already not a great rebounding team and South Carolina is the best rebounding women's team I've ever seen. Its basketball so you always have a puncher's chance, but it will be a very tall order to knock off South Carolina.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Maryland and Iowa are a lot alike and it's why it's usually an entertaining game when they play. Iowa has punchers chance (okay "shooters chance") but everything has to go perfect for them. Czinano can't get in foul trouble, Clark has to be triple threat Clark with a low TO game, they have to somehow keep SC off the offensive glass, they have to be crazy hot from three and SC has to cold as ice. Iowa does rebound better than Maryland, best defensive rebounding team in the Big 10 but still seeing that SC rebounding as huge issue. If I had to predict I think the game will look a lot like Maryland/SC.

A lot of fans here want a rout but a close competitive game would really be good for WBB.

• Agree

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa is going to have to be super hot from 3 and limit the turnovers to have a chance against South Carolina. They are very athletic, big and physical. Iowa is already not a great rebounding team and South Carolina is the best rebounding women's team I've ever seen. Its basketball so you always have a puncher's chance, but it will be a very tall order to knock off South Carolina.

Bad offensive rebounding team but a good rebounding team on defense. Last in the Big Ten in one and first in the other.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Maryland and Iowa are a lot alike and it's why it's usually an entertaining game when they play. Iowa has punchers chance (okay "shooters chance") but everything has to go perfect for them. Czinano can't get in foul trouble, Clark has to be triple threat Clark with a low TO game, they have to somehow keep SC off the offensive glass, they have to be crazy hot from three and SC has to cold as ice. Iowa does rebound better than Maryland, best defensive rebounding team in the Big 10 but still seeing that SC rebounding as huge issue. If I had to predict I think the game will look a lot like Maryland/SC.

A lot of fans here want a rout but a close competitive game would really be good for WBB.
I think they might get what they want. South Carolina is the undisputed top dawg and might come into this game with bit of a chip given all the media love for Clark.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy and kcdc4isu

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I watched SC postgame presser and both when players and Staley were asked about Iowa they said they were just focusing on tonight and would talk about that matchup in the days to come.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I think they might get what they want. South Carolina is the undisputed top dawg and might come into this game with bit of a chip given all the media love for Clark.

But as the coach of the No. 1 overall team in the NCAA Tournament, and as a major presence in the women’s college basketball media landscape, Staley is aware of the overpowering narratives that can grip the sport. One of those narratives this season has been Clark’s arrival as a superstar.

Yet while Staley agrees in Clark’s Player of the Year credentials, she sees other players who belong in the same conversation.

“Caitlin Clark, does she deserve it? Absolutely. Does Aliyah Boston deserve it? Does Cameron Brink deserve it? Absolutely,” Staley said. “There are so many people who are deserving of it, so let’s tell all the stories. Let’s not just be one-sided.”

I believe South Carolina has felt slighted all year, and Staley uses it as motivation.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

But as the coach of the No. 1 overall team in the NCAA Tournament, and as a major presence in the women’s college basketball media landscape, Staley is aware of the overpowering narratives that can grip the sport. One of those narratives this season has been Clark’s arrival as a superstar.

Yet while Staley agrees in Clark’s Player of the Year credentials, she sees other players who belong in the same conversation.

“Caitlin Clark, does she deserve it? Absolutely. Does Aliyah Boston deserve it? Does Cameron Brink deserve it? Absolutely,” Staley said. “There are so many people who are deserving of it, so let’s tell all the stories. Let’s not just be one-sided.”

I believe South Carolina has felt slighted all year, and Staley uses it as motivation.
Yep, also saw their post game press conference with the the players and they all kind of laughed when asked about Clark. How physical the refs allow them to play will be a huge thing in this game.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

The other thing - South Carolina has been there before - 2021 lost in the semifinals and won it last year. They aren't going to get caught up in the pomp and circumstance because it is not new to them.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
In the NCAA Tournament, I always feel the 1st game of the week is a coaches game. They have 3-4 days to game plan and prepare players. The 2nd game of the weekend with only 1 day between games, its more about the players.

So Friday's game will be one where Staley and Bluder can have a big impact.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
In the NCAA Tournament, I always feel the 1st game of the week is a coaches game. They have 3-4 days to game plan and prepare players. The 2nd game of the weekend with only 1 day between games, its more about the players.

So Friday's game will be one where Staley and Bluder can have a big impact.
If I were putting money on this game per which coach was the best it goes on Staley every time.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Was Iowa the 1st #2 seed? If so (or 2nd or 3rd), why are they playing SC in the semifinal? Maybe that's not how the wbb bracket is set up.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Was Iowa the 1st #2 seed? If so (or 2nd or 3rd), why are they playing SC in the semifinal? Maybe that's not how the wbb bracket is set up.
Stanford was the 4th overall seed and top seed in the Regional Iowa was in.

So Iowa was the 5th overall seed….

Had results played to seeding then the winner of the 4th/5th overall seed game would play the overall top seed in the final four match ups.

So it makes sense based on the overall seedlings.

What didn’t make sense was having Stanford get upset.

Hope this helps.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Some stats on Iowa / South Carolina

Field Goal % Defense
South Carolina 31.2% - # 1 in the NCAA
Iowa 39.8% - # 154 in the NCAA

Bench Scoring
South Carolina 36.4 ppg from their bench - # 1 in the NCAA
Iowa 18.6 ppg from their bench - # 138 in the NCAA

Blocked Shots
South Carolina 9.0 bpg - # 1 in the NCAA
Iowa 2.5 bpg - # 248 in the NCAA

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think they were, so they got the lowest-rated #1 seed (Stanford) in their region, who got sided with the highest-rated #1 seed (SC) for the Final Four.

Reactions: NENick

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Not a regular listener to KXNO just Dan Patrick as the locals are mostly hok lovers. Was out this afternoon and it was on as I last listened to DP"S show and murph and andy were on and their poll question was about would you root for Iowa if you were not a regular Iowa fan. They thought you should root for them because they are from Iowa even if you were a Cyclone fan. I did not vote but it would have been hell no I will be cheering for SC.