NFL: ***Vikings fans 2013 NFL Draft headquarters***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He was probably hoping for Tavon Austin in the 1st, after a trade down. Then take Dee Milliner in the 2nd. Instead we ended up with the #1 DT, #2 WR (#1 non slot), #2-4 CB, and #1 P. What a s*** draft.

I could make the first round look awesome with three picks. You can claim what some expert had guys ranked at but they took the third DT, which I think is about right, I wouldn't hold out hope for Patterson either. I don't think that guy will keep his head on straight for long. Rhoads is a good pickup though. I can't find a hole in that one.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
He was probably hoping for Tavon Austin in the 1st, after a trade down. Then take Dee Milliner in the 2nd. Instead we ended up with the #1 DT, #2 WR (#1 non slot), #2-4 CB, and #1 P. What a s*** draft.
Well when you put it like that, I agree that this draft sucked.

No jimlad need I hope.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Who will be Vikes 3 QB's after he is cut?

Ponder, Cassel, and Bethel-Thompson are my guesses. The Vikes front office fell in love with Mcleod, last year. Guessing he sticks at #3 unless Vandy impresses the coaches with his 3 yard outs and bear hunting skills

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Ponder, Cassel, and Bethel-Thompson are my guesses. The Vikes front office fell in love with Mcleod, last year. Guessing he sticks at #3 unless Vandy impresses the coaches with his 3 yard outs and bear hunting skills

I'm surprised someone even signed him as a UDFA. His senior stats were AWFUL. He got alot worse in a year.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010

Thanks!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm surprised someone even signed him as a UDFA. His senior stats were AWFUL. He got alot worse in a year.

According to the link someone posted, Vandenberg signed with Dallas. Maybe that was wrong.

Also, according to that link, even Dayne ****** signed as a UDFA. It doesn't mean much.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I find it extremely hilarious that the Vikings are dumb enough to even pick up Vandenberg. The guy wasnt a good qb in the college ranks, what makes the Vikings think he can be a NFL qb?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I could make the first round look awesome with three picks. You can claim what some expert had guys ranked at but they took the third DT, which I think is about right, I wouldn't hold out hope for Patterson either. I don't think that guy will keep his head on straight for long. Rhoads is a good pickup though. I can't find a hole in that one.

The Vikings had one guy in the entire draft ranked in Tier 1 (I have no idea who that was) and all three of their picks were in their Tier 2. Patterson was the last guy left that was in their Tier 2. Spielman went on record saying he was surprised anyone wanted to trade out from the late 1st with the players that were available. When New England called he jumped at the chance to get the only guy left on their board that was clearly above the rest. And he only gave up equal value.

There is a reason most mocks had Floyd going #2 overall. Say what you want about him being the #3 DT, but he is certainly the best fit for the Vikings at DT. Richardson was more of a pass rusher, Loutilelei is a bit bigger and can play the 3 or the 1 technique (plus has the heart condition which is probably ok, but who knows).

Floyd is a straight up 3 technique with the best twitch of the DTs and is the most explosive as well. He is exactly what the Vikings need to back up Kevin Williams and eventually replace him.

The Vikings only got who they got because a ton of prospects that they weren't even interested in went first. Vaccarro, Manuel, Reid, Eifert, Jones, and the 5 tackles were likely not even options to be taken. That is 11 picks that went before them that were 100% in the Vikings favor. Depending on their strategy on if they would take a DE or G, that number could be as high as 17 (!!) picks that they would prefer to have Floyd over. That 2nd part is obviously speculation, but it is definitely between those two numbers.

I think the only prospects that you could even argue that the Vikings would rather have than Floyd are Jordan, Austin, Milliner, Hayden, Lotulelei, Richardson, or Trufant.

So IMO, it is very safe to say the Vikings are over the moon with their draft, having only 4 needs, but pretty desperate needs and filling 3 with home run picks. The ILB think will work itself out with the rookies and maybe Erin Henderson sliding inside or maybe they will sign a free agent.

EDIT: That was longer than I was planning.... and btw it's RHODES NOT RHOADS! Probably the first time that has been written on this board.

Last edited:

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I think they had a good draft, but I would have liked to have seen them take a chance on another receiver in the later rounds.

I was hoping they would take Da'Rick Rogers late or sign him UDFA. I read they signed Cris Carter's kid UDFA but that kid has had more of a messed up college career than Rogers.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post
My Sunday Best: Teams That Helped Themselves Most

There isn’t a team in the league that wasn’t popping figurative, if not literal, champagne corks Saturday night. Every roster is improved, every draft was a hit. But these are the teams that might have helped themselves the most.
1. *Vikings—It’s difficult not to have a great draft when you have three first round picks. They arguably chose the best defensive tackle, the second best cornerback and the second best wide receiver in the draft. Vikings general manager Rick Spielman told me he never envisioned Sharrif Floyd dropping to 23, and no other front office man I spoke with did either. If there was a reason for the fall, I can’t figure it out. He was maybe the best value pick of the draft. By the time the Vikes dealt for their third No. 1 at 29, they were, in the words of one front office veteran, “playing with house money.” So they took a chance on wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, who could be the biggest boom or bust guy in the draft. Liked the seventh round gamble on Penn State linebacker Michael Mauti too.

*The Vikings are well aware of the questions about Cordarrelle Patterson’s ability to acclimate to the NFL quickly, and have a plan in place to get Patterson up and running. They had four pre-draft visits with Patterson, so they feel they know the kid about as well as possible. Part of those visits were aptitude tests. They are encouraging veteran free agent pickup Greg Jennings to take Patterson under his wing, and they will lean heavily on wide receivers coach George Stewart, who the Vikings consider one of the best in the business. The Vikings also believe the culture in their locker room will be good for Patterson. If all goes as they hope, the Vikings think Patterson can be a contributor on offense as a rookie, as well as a return man.

*The Bucs were out of the first round with the trade for Darrelle Revis, but it would have been quite a different first round had they kept the 13th pick. As it was, the Jets selected defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson in that spot. The Bucs likely would have taken cornerback Xavier Rhodes, who fell 12 picks to the Vikings.\

McShay just said on the sportscenter draft special that Floyd was his best 1st round pick, and that he talked to one team that had Floyd as their #2 prospect overall, and another who had him as their #1 prospect overall.

Last edited: