Vehicle reliability - best make/models?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
My wife is looking at 2016-2019 Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 models. No kids and two dogs. Anyone have one?
I tried to get my sister to look at a few of those instead when she bought her new car. you could get some good used deals on them last summer when she was looking, but she wanted to buy "new" for the first time. pretty good cars for the money, and haven't seen to much on any reliability issues for them at all. and they drive decently for what they are.

Reactions: cstrunk

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
My wife is looking at 2016-2019 Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 models. No kids and two dogs. Anyone have one?
The seats in every Mazda I've ever been in have been terrible. We leased a Mazda as newlyweds and ended the lease early. Partly because of the seats being hard as a brick and partly because we were expecting our second kid and I couldn't sit in front of the car seat.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
The seats in every Mazda I've ever been in have been terrible. We leased a Mazda as newlyweds and ended the lease early. Partly because of the seats being hard as a brick and partly because we were expecting our second kid and I couldn't sit in front of the car seat.

What model year?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Anyone know much about a Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, or GMC Acadia? Looking at possibly getting one of these, but consumer reports on the years I'm looking at (2010-2014) don't have great ratings. Ignore consumer reports, or are they correct on these models?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Anyone know much about a Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, or GMC Acadia? Looking at possibly getting one of these, but consumer reports on the years I'm looking at (2010-2014) don't have great ratings. Ignore consumer reports, or are they correct on these models?

Have looked at Traverse and Acadia in the past, around 2011. They were ok, but in the end we opted for Honda Pilot. Just replaced that with another Pilot a few years ago. Great SUV.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We had a new CX5 about 5 years ago and It was OK but the road noise difference (more) was really noticeable compared to Toyota/Honda.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I’ll be honest I think a Honda Pilot is going to be significantly better than those 3 choices for a 2010-2014. If you go slightly newer the Toyota Highlander is also a fantastic mid sized SUV. On the brand new side the Kia Telluride is killing it.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I’ll be honest I think a Honda Pilot is going to be significantly better than those 3 choices for a 2010-2014. If you go slightly newer the Toyota Highlander is also a fantastic mid sized SUV. On the brand new side the Kia Telluride is killing it.
Thoughts on Kia Sorento?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Thoughts on Kia Sorento?

If you're looking at something older, a friend had one several years ago and it was nothing but problems. Probably 10 or so years ago, didn't end well. But I think Kia has made a lot of strides and has been trying to break into the Honda/Toyota/Mazda scene and as a result they're packing a lot of features/value into their SUVs. That's one thing that made the Telluride so popular, lots of features in the lower trim levels that you only get in the higher trim levels of other brands. At least that's what I heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloneGuy8

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
And the Camry is boring as hell to drive compared to that '65 Stang.

I know this thread asked about reliability, but the Camry is possibly the most boring car sold. The people who designed the 1965 Mustang thought a bit about style and appearance. Toyota doesn't care if the Camry looks good (obviously). There are legit fan clubs and owners groups and cruises and stuff for owners of 1st generation Mustangs. There may be for Camry owners, but there shouldn't be. If you're admiring a classic Mustang in a parking lot and the owner walks up, he or she will probably be willing to talk you you about the car. If you're admiring a Camry in a parking lot, you're weird.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Toyota just makes beyond boring vehicles. Overall quality is good though.

Imagine if Toyota put an ounce of care in the styling of a Corolla or Camry...

I can't envision anyone parking a Camry, getting out and walking 20-feet or so, and then turning around to admire their vehicle.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
They are actually accurate on them (CR can be a crap shoot on vehicles though yes) bearing/suspension issues, oil issues, electrical.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I know this thread asked about reliability, but the Camry is possibly the most boring car sold. The people who designed the 1965 Mustang thought a bit about style and appearance. Toyota doesn't care if the Camry looks good (obviously). There are legit fan clubs and owners groups and cruises and stuff for owners of 1st generation Mustangs. There may be for Camry owners, but there shouldn't be. If you're admiring a classic Mustang in a parking lot and the owner walks up, he or she will probably be willing to talk you you about the car. If you're admiring a Camry in a parking lot, you're weird.
The new Camry does actually look pretty nice. And you wouldn't see a run of the mill sedan group either back when the Mustang was introduced either though, but the new Camry can do a sub 6 sec 0-60 time which would beat quite a few models of Mustang..

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Have seen Tellurides all over down here in the Keys so far.. they are great vehicles but they are the ugly sister of the Korean twins.

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Had a 2010 Traverse for about six years. It was okay when we bought it in 2014, but it eventually had issues with the steering rack, AC, and a transmission module was going bad. Wife totaled it in a fairly minor fender bender and I was happy to see it go.

Not sure what consumer reports says, but I don't recommend it.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
I've been happy with the various Toyota products we've had over the years: Sienna, Avalon, and Prius. Though they are all far removed from the current models.