Vehicle reliability - best make/models?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Just curious what people's thoughts these days are on best make/models for long term reliability. The Japanese automakers dominated this perception for a long time, wondering if it's changed for anyone or any real world experiences.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If you're looking at sedans, I picked up a Genesis G70 this year, and I love it. Very good reliability ratings, and fun as hell to drive.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I have been looking at used Toyota Tacoma's and holy crap are they proud of them.
I was going to get a used Taco for my last truck. A new one had a lower payment for anything with less than 75k miles. I ended up getting a new one. It’s 5 years old now with about 58k on the odometer and the trade in value is about $8000 less than I paid for it.

Reactions: ruflosn

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Every auto manufacturer makes very reliable cars anymore. The biggest things are:
  1. Don't buy anything that is new or significantly refreshed for that model year. First year production will have the lowest reliability (though its still usually quite good).
  2. All the extra creature comforts are more likely to break as you pour on the miles. Some things wear out based on age more than miles so a low mileage but old car isn't always guaranteed to be better than a similar mileage newer car.
At the end of the day you are likely to have a good experience with anything. The horror stories of lemons are easy for people to remember and retell but they really are pretty rare.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My wife and I each have had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra since they were new.

Yes, we separately bought the same make-and-model before we got together.

Never had any problems.

Reactions: aauummm

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Every auto manufacturer makes very reliable cars anymore.

I always remind myself of this whenever somebody complains quality-of-life or incomes have not increased since the 1970s or some other such malarkey. Yeah, cars cost the same amount in "real" terms as they did in previous decades, but what you get now for the same $$$ in terms of performance, efficiency, reliability, and safety...

...is just night and day. Cars nowadays are so much better than even the ones my parents had in the 90s.

Last edited:

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been happy with my 2019 Honda Insight. Good mileage (50+ summer, low 40s winter with snow tires) and extremely reliable. Oil changes happen every 10K+ miles. Bigger than a Civic, but not as big as the Accord. Excellent sized trunk for a hybrid.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I have been looking at used Toyota Tacoma's and holy crap are they proud of them.
Yeah, Tacos are notoriously high value. I know that's earned to a degree, but have to wonder...

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I've been happy with my 2019 Honda Insight. Good mileage (50+ summer, low 40s winter with snow tires) and extremely reliable. Oil changes happen every 10K+ miles. Bigger than a Civic, but not as big as the Accord. Excellent sized trunk for a hybrid.
I have to say I had an Insight shortly after they came out and I really hated it. The AC turned off at stop, it was brutal in the summer commuting home. Otherwise it wasn't a bad car I suppose :)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My wife and I each have had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra since they were new.

Yes, we separately bought the same make-and-model before we got together.

Never had any problems.

Until she got that dog you guys were pretty much in synch with each other ;).

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I would get a subscription to consumer reports; they're pretty good at determining reliability.
consumer reports is honestly horrible. they rate a small hiccup/defect in the infotainment system the same as a engine failure in vehicles.. anyone who is even somewhat into the car scene laughs at the yearly rag they put out.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have to say I had an Insight shortly after they came out and I really hated it. The AC turned off at stop, it was brutal in the summer commuting home. Otherwise it wasn't a bad car I suppose :)
Are you talking about the first gen Insight?
The new ones are a completely different beast.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
We really love our 2018 Toyota Camry, beats the hell out of our 2013 Ford Fusion. After that experience I will never purchase another Ford made car.
parents previous 2013 Escape was horrible.. the thing would randomly lose all power and die on the side of the road on them.. even happened at Karl's as they were trading it in on an Equinox.