Too early to talk MLB?

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
If it's Cain then the Sabean is an idiot... If it's Lowry then Williams is an idiot...

I don't completely agree. First, Williams needs to make a spot to get Fields on the, um, well, field! His numbers in the second half show he has the potential to be a stud power 3B, especially now that the OF is crowded after the Swisher trade. Crede has good qualities, but I think a good young SP for him is good value, and it's a steal with Cain.
Crede hasn't stayed healthy since his great performance in the WS a few years back.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
HAHAHAHA:biglaugh: I'll bet you all my credits the Tribe finish ahead of the Twinkies this year:wink:

I would place money on that bet as well (Indians finishing ahead of the Twins). Doesn't mean I'm not going to hate the Tribe, though :wink:

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Tribe Starting Lineup:

CF: Grady Sizemore
2B: Asdrubal Cabrera
DH: Travis Hafner
C: Victor Martinez
1B: Ryan Garko
SS: Jhonny Peralta
RF: Franklin Gutierrez
LF: Jason Michaels/David Dellucci
3B: Casey Blake

SP: Sabathia, Carmona, Westbrook, Byrd, Laffey/Sowers/Lee
CP: Blownsaveowski:sad:

Looks good enough for another AL central crown...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Tribe Starting Lineup:

CF: Grady Sizemore
2B: Asdrubal Cabrera
DH: Travis Hafner
C: Victor Martinez
1B: Ryan Garko
SS: Jhonny Peralta
RF: Franklin Gutierrez
LF: Jason Michaels/David Dellucci
3B: Casey Blake

SP: Sabathia, Carmona, Westbrook, Byrd, Laffey/Sowers/Lee
CP: Blownsaveowski:sad:

Looks good enough for another AL central crown...

Dunno - considering the Tigers lineup you may have to settle for the wildcard...

C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Carlos Guillen
2B: Placido Polanco
3B: Miguel Cabrera
SS: Edgar Renteria
LF: Marcus Thames
CF: Curtis Granderson
RF: Magglio Ordonez
Rotation: Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, Dontrelle Willis, Kenny Rogers, Nate Robertson
Closer: Todd Jones

I'd say the Tigers have a more powerful starting rotation and more pop in their lineup than the Indians.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I would place money on that bet as well (Indians finishing ahead of the Twins). Doesn't mean I'm not going to hate the Tribe, though :wink:

I have a serious question for ya... What do you think about the Santana trade?? I think they could've gotten much more. Didnt the Sox offer a package including Buckholz and Elsbury? And the yankees Hughes and Cabrera? I guess i am just interested in what you think(a Twins fan)...

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Ya, the Tigers have (IMO) the best team in baseball(on paper), but alot of other things come into play(injuries, chemistry, luck, etc....) I also disagree about the Tigers having a better pitching staff. The Indians may have the best middle relief in baseball, although Joe Borowski makes me want to throw up everytime he toes the rubber.

Not to mention, one of the better starting rotations in baseball:wink:

Also, take everything i say with a grain of salt(It's pry pretty obvious my opinion is a little biased:biggrin:

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I would put most of my credits on the fact it will be two teams from the Central in the playoffs and the Yankees will miss the playoffs this year. I honestly feel that way... the Yankees have the feel of about 87 wins this year, tops.

Tigers, Indians, Red Sox and Angels from the AL - don't even know why we play the games :)
Mets, Dodgers, Cubs, D-Backs from the NL - I wouldn't put any money on picking these teams to get there... all of them or NONE of them could end up in the playoffs :)

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I don't completely agree. First, Williams needs to make a spot to get Fields on the, um, well, field! His numbers in the second half show he has the potential to be a stud power 3B, especially now that the OF is crowded after the Swisher trade. Crede has good qualities, but I think a good young SP for him is good value, and it's a steal with Cain.
Crede hasn't stayed healthy since his great performance in the WS a few years back.

You could see a Crede/Anderson/prospect deal. As long as that prospect is not Broadway or Egbert.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
although Joe Borowski makes me want to throw up everytime he toes the rubber.

There's a reason the Cubs fans booed him out of town and the Marlins were the ones to try to find some semblence of a major league veteran to add to their team... :) :wink:

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I would put most of my credits on the fact it will be two teams from the Central in the playoffs and the Yankees will miss the playoffs this year. I honestly feel that way... the Yankees have the feel of about 87 wins this year, tops.

Tigers, Indians, Red Sox and Angels from the AL - don't even know why we play the games :)
Mets, Dodgers, Cubs, D-Backs from the NL - I wouldn't put any money on picking these teams to get there... all of them or NONE of them could end up in the playoffs :)

I actually agree with all of those teams... But, baseball is such a long season and I'm sure there will be some big surprises. It should be fun to watch Dodgers/D-backs/Padres/Rox, Cubs/Brewers/Cards, Phillies/Braves/Mets in the NL

and

Indians/Tigers/White Sox/Royals:)wink:) Sox/Yankees in AL...

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have a serious question for ya... What do you think about the Santana trade?? I think they could've gotten much more. Didnt the Sox offer a package including Buckholz and Elsbury? And the yankees Hughes and Cabrera? I guess i am just interested in what you think(a Twins fan)...

That's the thing - everyone's convinced they could have done better, but considering the situation I'm not sure they could have. When you get right down to it in December the Yankees were taking the attitude that the Twins were either going to deal with them on their terms or they weren't going to deal with them at all. The Red Sox on the other hand seemed to keep bringing just enough to the table to keep them at the table and forcing the Yankees to offer more for them. I'm convinced both the Red Sox and the Yankees were of the opinion that "while it's nice to have Santana, we're not going to give the Twins what they're asking in return, and we'll gamble that he'll be a free agent at the end of 2008. If it works out, great, if not, we'll survive." The Twins decided not to succumb to the scare tactics of the Yankees by letting the deadline pass (which I'm glad that they did), and as soon as that deadline passed the Yankees pulled their offer. As soon as that happened, the Red Sox began shying away from their offers as well (a clear cut sign to me they were really only in it to drive up the price the Yankees would have to pay to get Santana).

Here's the thing - before the Tigers went nuts making roster changes, I think it was a 3-team race for the AL Central in 2008. Either making the trade with Red Sox or the Yankees for those players (who I'm convinced is the kind of deal that is a "let's try to compete now" deal) or keeping Santana for 2008 would be a signal that they were going to try to make a run in 2008. Then Detroit went and made their deals and picked up the guys they picked up. I think the Twins realized that even if they made any of those deals with the Red Sox or the Yankees that they no longer could keep up with the Tigers (and I'm convinced they're going to run away with the division this year) and were going to lose out to the Indians in the Wildcard. That makes making those "near term help" trades or holding onto Santana for the 2008 season a waste of resources. I think they were thinking it's better to sacrifice the 2008 and 2009 seasons, really build up a solid team over the next two seasons, and have one hell of a 2010, the year they open their new stadium.

I honestly think the Tigers got themselves so powerful that the Twins became convinced they weren't going to be able to keep up with them regardless of any deal they made with Santana, so they "punted" so to speak and decided to build for the future. This is also the reason why, if the Twins are out of it at the trading deadline, Joe Nathan is also going to be traded.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I actually agree with all of those teams... But, baseball is such a long season and I'm sure there will be some big surprises. It should be fun to watch Dodgers/D-backs/Padres, Cubs/Brewers/Cards, Phillies/Braves/Mets in the NL

and

Indians/Tigers/White Sox/Royals:)wink:) Sox/Yankees/Jays in AL...

I would not turn my back on the Rockies in the NL West - look what they did when everyone slept on them. They've quietly become a very dangerous ball club when no one was looking.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I would not turn my back on the Rockies in the NL West - look what they did when everyone slept on them. They've quietly become a very dangerous ball club when no one was looking.

i cant believe I left them out, they did just go to the Series!! Sometimes I think I should wear a helmet:yes:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
There is no way, no how that Joe Crede turns into Matt Cain. That's ridiculous. Noah Lowery is nothing special. Might as well get any type of prospects you can for Crede and be on with it.

The Tigers' offense is the real deal, but that rotation is overrated.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
There is no way, no how that Joe Crede turns into Matt Cain. That's ridiculous. Noah Lowery is nothing special. Might as well get any type of prospects you can for Crede and be on with it.

The Tigers' offense is the real deal, but that rotation is overrated.

As I said - A STEAL :smile: But after the Feliz trade, the Giants are looking for something the resembles a bat, and who knows if the White Sox wouldn't be adding a minor leaguer or something in there. I think Lowry would be a good bottom of the rotation guy for the White Sox.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think the Rockies had a great run - Holliday is a great piece to build around, and there's some young guys that have a lot of potential (Tulowitzki); but it's still Coors, pitchers still are figuring out how to pitch there, and EVERYTHING fell right for the Rockies to make that run last fall. So we'll see. That division will be killer...