To all the Prohm Haters...

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I am sure this has been discussed, but I believe this season and probably next season is a product of recruiting really well. CSP and his staff has recruited HS kids very well and put together some pretty nice classes. Unfortunately the center pieces to those classes have moved onto the NBA. We will never recruit to the level of the blue bloods to the point where they can lose guys to the NBA and still have high end guys sticking around. If we recruit really well and lose some dudes to the league early we will be stuck with teams like this once in awhile. Fred on the other hand had decent classes but never had guys move on which allowed him to keep that nucleus together. Fred also hit home runs with transfer guys which CSP has not. I believe CSP has some coaching deficiencies that he can improve on, but I also believe he has the goods to have high level teams more often than not. Positively, I think he game plans well, is a good X and O guy and recruits well with this staff. Negatively, i do not believe he manages in game situations very well... slowing runs with TO's or putting the right guys together on the floor as often as he should. I also do not believe he is great at player relationships that hold a team together.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just jaded after years of being personally attacked for pointing out the obvious signs that our coach may not be suitable for a power 5 job. You Prohm defenders sure get touchy when you're held accountable for your wrong takes.

The preponderance of the evidence is way different now than a few months ago.

Predicting 15 of the last 3 recessions isn't actually a good track record.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
The preponderance of the evidence is way different now than a few months ago.

Predicting 15 of the last 3 recessions isn't actually a good track record.

They lost six of their last eight games last year. Had to win the big 12 tourney to get in the NCAA. Kudos for winning the tourney at Hilton South but the signs were there. Defense and rebounding have seemingly never been there. I have yet to be offered any evidence that he is anything more then a middle of the road coach.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They lost six of their last eight games last year. Had to win the big 12 tourney to get in the NCAA. Kudos for winning the tourney at Hilton South but the signs were there. Defense and rebounding have seemingly never been there. I have yet to be offered any evidence that he is anything more then a middle of the road coach.

This is preposterous.

They jumped a seeding line or two in KC, but they were in long before that.

You don't play yourself from below the line on the bubble to a #6 in a conference tournament.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
And had the talent to win the conference outright last year to only finish 9-9. I would argue that last year's team was a bigger failure in coaching than this one.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Last sentence may be true but everything prior discounts your opinion. We were limping....really really bad into the tourney but we were in no matter what.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
All that talent must have fallen from the sky.

Stansbury, Chris Williams, and Hines have all routinely commented that in each of their own opinions Iowa State was the most talented team in the Big 12 last year. It’s great that CSP was able to bring that talent to Iowa State. A+ for the recruiting aspect of this discussion. But going 9-9 with that talent (malcontent, mismanaged, etc) is very middling.
When hearing Hines discuss the subject it is pretty well known that THT was likely a one and done by December and LW was never more than a 2 year player. The staff knew this and just missed on Grad transfers and Juco’s. It wasn’t like it blind-sided them.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
All that talent must have fallen from the sky.

That's the only thing that really gave me any hope was that he could recruit fairly well. But Wiggington coming off the bench, Conditt coming off the bench and four star Zion Griffin barely getting playing time makes me wonder if he really knows what to do with talent once he gets it.

So what makes you think he is anything more then an average coach.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Stansbury, Chris Williams, and Hines have all routinely commented that in each of their own opinions Iowa State was the most talented team in the Big 12 last year.

I do not remember any of them saying that Iowa State was unequivocally the most talented team in the conference last year. "One of the," sure, but considering what TTU, KSU, and KU had last year, saying we were #1 with no substantial case for any of those other schools is probably pushing the point a little too far from reality.

It’s great that CSP was able to bring that talent to Iowa State. A+ for the recruiting aspect of this discussion. But going 9-9 with that talent (malcontent, mismanaged, etc) is very middling.

This is a much fairer point. Something happened to the team last year around the end of January. They went from confident and scrappy to cocky and lazy. Prohm lost the locker room. I was proud the way they got it back for Kansas City, but I was not impressed with the program during that month or really that much since then.

When hearing Hines discuss the subject it is pretty well known that THT was likely a one and done by December and LW was never more than a 2 year player. The staff knew this and just missed on Grad transfers and Juco’s. It wasn’t like it blind-sided them.

I have never heard that they *knew* THT was gone after December.

With Wigginton, the writing was on the wall early, I agree.

I actually thought spring recruiting went okay this year. Bolton has been about as good as any of the other guys we went in on this year, Johnson has some upside, and KSU, UNLV, and some other good programs wanted Grill. That is an okay haul.

The issue this year is there was just too much to replace.

This brings me back to my point, though -- your post tries to balance that Prohm is a bad game day coach, but at least he can recruit, and then swing around to say that his recruiting sucks. The best evidence that he can build a competitive team for Iowa State is that he has done it. He's not going anywhere for 1.5 years, at least, so we might as well sit back and enjoy the attempt. If he fails, too, then we likely have a long rebuild (no transfer market shortcut this time) with a new regime that could fail miserably.

If you think a new coach will automatically succeed, let me introduce you to my wookie friend. Basketball can be bad *and* boring sometimes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's the only thing that really gave me any hope was that he could recruit fairly well. But Wiggington coming off the bench, Conditt coming off the bench and four star Zion Griffin barely getting playing time makes me wonder if he really knows what to do with talent once he gets it.

So what makes you think he is anything more then an average coach.

Been over this a thousand times --

Wigginton was well-cast as a bench gunner. Great shooter, bad PG and defender, played more minutes in the Big 12 than Horton-Tucker anyways.

Conditt probably could have/should have played more, but only marginally so. He is still inconsistent, but he has found another gear this season so far.

Zion has not shown anything this year to suggest that he should have been playing a ton more last season coming back from a difficult injury.

None of the changes you suggest above would have changed anything about how last year went and the problems with the roster construction right now.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I do not remember any of them saying that Iowa State was unequivocally the most talented team in the conference last year. "One of the," sure, but considering what TTU, KSU, and KU had last year, saying we were #1 with no substantial case for any of those other schools is probably pushing the point a little too far from reality.

This is a much fairer point. Something happened to the team last year around the end of January. They went from confident and scrappy to cocky and lazy. Prohm lost the locker room. I was proud the way they got it back for Kansas City, but I was not impressed with the program during that month or really that much since then.

I have never heard that they *knew* THT was gone after December.

With Wigginton, the writing was on the wall early, I agree.

I actually thought spring recruiting went okay this year. Bolton has been about as good as any of the other guys we went in on this year, Johnson has some upside, and KSU, UNLV, and some other good programs wanted Grill. That is an okay haul.

The issue this year is there was just too much to replace.

This brings me back to my point, though -- your post tries to balance that Prohm is a bad game day coach, but at least he can recruit, and then swing around to say that his recruiting sucks. The best evidence that he can build a competitive team for Iowa State is that he has done it. He's not going anywhere for 1.5 years, at least, so we might as well sit back and enjoy the attempt. If he fails, too, then we likely have a long rebuild (no transfer market shortcut this time) with a new regime that could fail miserably.

I think he has had 1-2 very good to great recruiting classes. I don’t think that he has the ability to bring in 2-3 Top 100 recruits every year. When he has a great recruiting class like THT, Halliburton, Conditt he needs to win. Because he is going to have classes like 2019 which was never expected to be great and certainly has an uphill battle to be solid.
The key to next year is extremely simple but difficult. You need two top tier Grad transfers. (Think Baylor with Teague and Mitchell) Otherwise we are still a couple years away and the seat will get really hot.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Last sentence may be true but everything prior discounts your opinion. We were limping....really really bad into the tourney but we were in no matter what.

Yeah I will concede they would of gotten in. But the committee is a what have you done for me lately group. Losing 6 of last 8 and bowing out of the big 12 tourney early would have had a huge impact on our seeding. This with a team that was talented enough to win the conference and was well on its way to doing so.

So your saying our defense and rebounding has been good under Prohm.

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The key to next year is extremely simple. You need two top tier Grad transfers. Otherwise we are still a couple years away and the seat will get really hot.

I mostly agree with this. I think the keys are really --

(1.) Replace Haliburton with a JUCO or graduate transfer. And by "replace," I do not mean we need to bring in an all-Big 12 guy. We just need somebody who can hold down the PG position, sort of like a Nick Weiler-Babb.

(2.) Bolton and Conditt need to be what amounts to stars.

(3.) Johnson needs to be good -- maybe not Shayok, but better than Nixon -- and 2-3 of the freshmen need to be contributors. Any development you get from Jackson, Grill, and Griffin to being Big 12 rotation guys really helps.

I know, a lot of ifs there, but the path is there.

If not, we are likely starting over.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Just jaded after years of being personally attacked for pointing out the obvious signs that our coach may not be suitable for a power 5 job. You Prohm defenders sure get touchy when you're held accountable for your wrong takes.

"It's okay for ME to personally attack people I don't agree with!!!"

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Been over this a thousand times --

Wigginton was well-cast as a bench gunner. Great shooter, bad PG and defender, played more minutes in the Big 12 than Horton-Tucker anyways.

Conditt probably could have/should have played more, but only marginally so. He is still inconsistent, but he has found another gear this season so far.

Zion has not shown anything this year to suggest that he should have been playing a ton more last season coming back from a difficult injury.

None of the changes you suggest above would have changed anything about how last year went and the problems with the roster construction right now.

Wiggington - What coach doesn't start his best players.

Conditt - He always gives great effort and brings the energy level of the team up. He s kept us in the KSU game last year only to be pulled after the last timeout while he was hot. Prohm even said he should of got more playing time.

Zion - There were plenty of times to get Zion more game time last year and this year. So either Prohm's recruiting isn't as good as you say or he's not good at developing players or putting them in a position to succeed.

Lewis - Another four star recruit yet he can't get playing time. Recruiting miss or bad development or not knowing how to use him?

Again for the thousandth time. What makes you think Prohm is anything more then an average coach? And for the record I hope he turns things around.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Wiggington - What coach doesn't start his best players.

Conditt - He always gives great effort and brings the energy level of the team up. He s kept us in the KSU game last year only to be pulled after the last timeout while he was hot. Prohm even said he should of got more playing time.

Zion - There were plenty of times to get Zion more game time last year and this year. So either Prohm's recruiting isn't as good as you say or he's not good at developing players or putting them in a position to succeed.

Lewis - Another four star recruit yet he can't get playing time. Recruiting miss or bad development or not knowing how to use him?

Again for the thousandth time. What makes you think Prohm is anything more then an average coach? And for the record I hope he turns things around.

Phil and Pop liked Robert Horry as a sixth man.
Phil didn't start Toni Kukoc a lot of the time.
Pop didn't start Manu a lot of the time.
Red Auerbach and John Havlicek invented the concept of a sixth man.

Minutes matter more than who starts, anyways.

Again, I agreed with you that Conditt should have played more, but do not act like he was somehow head-and-shoulders obviously better than Jacobson or Lard last season. He basically lost us the Texas game at home by missing late game free throws and perhaps lost us the Texas Tech game at home with a lazy inbound pass that was picked off followed by fouling a made shot, a five-point swing in like ten seconds.

Again, show me so numbers that show me that Zion was a better option that Shayok, Wigginton (who you are already complaining was not playing enough), or Horton-Tucker last season, particularly coming off that injury to his knee.

Lewis is a miss. Griffin is trending that way. I like stars but I like good players even more, and neither of those two has looked anything like a 4* rating at any point.

I never said I thought he was more than an average coach.

I just think the evidence you want to use against him is actually pretty poor evidence. There are much better complaints about him than yours.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy