Things to do while in San Antonio

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
So besides the Alamo and Riverwalk in general, what else are good things to do while we're down there. Please list any recommendations!

Specific questions that I had:
The Alamo Bowl is having a pep rally on the 26th, but when and where is the ISU pep rally?

Is ISU hosting a tailgate for the Alamo bowl? Cost? tickets?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So besides the Alamo and Riverwalk in general, what else are good things to do while we're down there. Please list any recommendations!

Specific questions that I had:
The Alamo Bowl is having a pep rally on the 26th, but when and where is the ISU pep rally?

Is ISU hosting a tailgate for the Alamo bowl? Cost? tickets?

I'm curious about the pep rally and tailgate as well. It's still a few weeks away, but I'm surprised they haven't announced it yet.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There should be some Hawkeye fans that went to the Alamo Bowl that could suggest some locations, that is after they are done gloating about last night.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There should be some Hawkeye fans that went to the Alamo Bowl that could suggest some locations, that is after they are done gloating about last night.

Would have to wait until like March or something.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Catch an Incarnate Word game?

1695.jpg

De9Z1TLU0AA9dUW.jpg:large

• Funny
Reactions: cycloneted

suterman

Sep 4, 2014

Honestly, we never left the Riverwalk except to go to the Alamo which is a 5 minute walk from Riverwalk. One cool thing they did was have the teams in boats floating by the restaurants and bars. Very fun bowl experience.

Reactions: STLISU and Cycsk

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
There is a pretty sweet residential Christmas light display near Boerne, TX. About 40 minutes from San Antonio. If they still have it up it may be worth the drive. the lights start at about the 7 minute mark.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Lots of wineries in Fredericksburg, as well as good German food. Also the birthplace of Chester Nimitz.

Check out Greune Music Hall in New Braunfels. Looks like Kevin Fowler on the 27 and Stoney Larue on the 29.

Shiner is a bit of a drive and the only thing there is the brewery.

Gonzales is the spot of the start of the Texas revolution and not terribly far away. Not much else there though.

• Agree
Reactions: xr4ticlone

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
If you drive and take the 130 Bypass to the East of Austin, stop off in Lockhart for some of the best BBQ in Texas at either Kreuz Market or Smitty's Market. No plates or BBQ sauce. Just good tender and smoky meat served on butcher paper with a couple of slices of white bread.

If you take I-35 thru Austin stop at Franklin's BBQ. Be prepared for a multi-hr wait though.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Honestly, we never left the Riverwalk except to go to the Alamo which is a 5 minute walk from Riverwalk. One cool thing they did was have the teams in boats floating by the restaurants and bars. Very fun bowl experience.

More helpful info. Thanks. That is what I've been hearing, but it is nice to have it confirmed by someone who has had the experience.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Was there for a 4 day conference a couple of years ago. Riverwalk if full of "Tourist bars and Restaurants" Good decor, atmosphere, fun to drink , good but not great food.

The hidden gem I found was B&D Ice House. KILLER ribs and brisket and I consider myself a BBQ snob. It is near the Southtown Neighborhood. Small but nice inside, Kind of rundown on outside. In fact, the Uber driver asked me twice if this is where I wanted to go.

20170304_150344.jpg 20170304_150530.jpg

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

IAC1858

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2008
Ankeny, IA
I posted this in another thread, but I have compiled a list of all the events that have been announced during the days leading up to the Alamo Bowl. All the events on this list are open to fans. The number in parentheses is how much it cost for each event.

Campbell and the players listed at the luncheon are available to speak to media, but I do not know if they will be the only ones in attendance there.

I will update this list and post when other events become known.

Attachments

• Alamo Bowl Events 12:11:18.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 122

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Has anybody ever gone to the Sea World? How much time would you allow to experience that place. Would it be worth it on Friday morning?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron