The Nick Babb Complex

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
It seems like this offseason a good majority of our fan base (and a lot of posters who I respect) have an inferiority complex with Babb and I'm curious to hear why... and it's not just because "Prohm said he had the most NBA potential." Early last season Naz was shooting TERRIBLE and a good lot of you were calling for Babb to start over him. To me his biggest problem was finishing whilst moving at the speed of light... ALWAYS missed hard off the glass. He can get by anyone at will, doesn't make silly mistakes, plays great D and can play/guard 1-4 if needed. IMO the development of his shot will have the biggest impact on the success of our season. Wigginton isn't a great shooter yet, I don't have confidence in DJ to run an offense or finish in the lane. I do with Babb. For this season I have visions of Babb, LW and the occasional Lard running a blazing fast break with a trailing DJ, Lewis and maybe even Solomon for 3. So I guess the question is: Why do the greatest fan in the country **** on him and why does everyone condone it?

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Na
It seems like this offseason a good majority of our fan base (and a lot of posters who I respect) have an inferiority complex with Babb and I'm curious to hear why... and it's not just because "Prohm said he had the most NBA potential." Early last season Naz was shooting TERRIBLE and a good lot of you were calling for Babb to start over him. To me his biggest problem was finishing whilst moving at the speed of light... ALWAYS missed hard off the glass. He can get by anyone at will, doesn't make silly mistakes, plays great D and can play/guard 1-4 if needed. IMO the development of his shot will have the biggest impact on the success of our season. Wigginton isn't a great shooter yet, I don't have confidence in DJ to run an offense or finish in the lane. I do with Babb. For this season I have visions of Babb, LW and the occasional Lard running a blazing fast break with a trailing DJ, Lewis and maybe even Solomon for 3. So I guess the question is: Why do the greatest fan in the country **** on him and why does everyone condone it?
Nader is that really you ? Lol jk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was critical of Nick in a post earlier today about his play in the CCL game last night. Of course, it is okay if he just takes it easy and doesn't get a stupid injury. Prohm probably prefers that type of participation in CCL. However, I would have liked to see him get nasty and dominate every play of the game. He seems like he is a very nice guy. Maybe too nice. He seems to have all the talent in the world, but may need to develop his killer instinct. In my case, the only reason I get down on him sometimes is because he seems to have so much more potential and we only see it in glimpses on the court.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm incredibly skeptical of him making a huge jump. I think he can be a great player off the bench. I think we'll really actually need him for his ballhandling.

It's not that he won't get better, he absolutely will. He'll have to get a LOT better to be a plus starter in the league.

From the month of February on he only had two games where he played more than 15 minutes. He had seven where he played under 10. He averaged 3 PPG in conf. He will absolutely be an asset but I'm not sure if he's somebody you want to rely on heading into the season. By the way that's not crapping on him, it's just an honest opinion.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I expected him to be a bigger threat shooting the 3, mostly because of his last name. People on the team joked that he was a better shooter than his brother but that is far from true or yet to be seen.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I love Nick's game, but I don't think the excitement is there because he struggled down the stretch while guys like Solomon and Jackson were turning it on.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I love the way he can fly down court with the ball. He is about as fast as anyone I've ever seen. Just blows by people.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I expected him to be a bigger threat shooting the 3, mostly because of his last name. People on the team joked that he was a better shooter than his brother but that is far from true or yet to be seen.

He may need to play more to get his shooting mojo. His defense is very solid, he may be falling into that lock down defender role too.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Nothing wrong with being a 6th man that can do everything. Most 6th men average between 20-25 minutes per game, which can be more than certain starters.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm incredibly skeptical of him making a huge jump. I think he can be a great player off the bench. I think we'll really actually need him for his ballhandling.

It's not that he won't get better, he absolutely will. He'll have to get a LOT better to be a plus starter in the league.

From the month of February on he only had two games where he played more than 15 minutes. He had seven where he played under 10. He averaged 3 PPG in conf. He will absolutely be an asset but I'm not sure if he's somebody you want to rely on heading into the season. By the way that's not crapping on him, it's just an honest opinion.

I personally don't think he really needs to "make a big jump" to be a key component.

He's a solid rebounder and defender. He can play some time as our backup PG and he's usually a solid decision maker and passer.

I realize he's not an aggressive scorer/shooter but he is an efficient offensive player from what I recall.

He's versatile and I see no reason he won't score around 10 ppg in 25 min/game.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Player A: (25 minute of playing time): 8 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 37% FG, 37% 3Pt, 82% free throw
Player B: (25 minutes of playing time): 6 points, 5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 45% FG, 30% 3Pt, 71% FT

• Winner
Reactions: NATEizKING and Doc

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Mark my words, Babb is going to be the glue guy this year. He may lay in the weeks while Wigginton and Lewis are doing well, but he will step up when the young guys struggle.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I think Nick is the type of guy that will thrive in a situation where he sees more court time. Some guys have trouble getting into the flow with limited minutes. I hope this is the scenario with NWB.

• Agree
Reactions: jay moe

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think Nick is the type of guy that will thrive in a situation where he sees more court time. Some guys have trouble getting into the flow with limited minutes. I hope this is the scenario with NWB.

I agree. We saw something similar with Solomon Young last year. It wasn't until he got extended minutes (not getting yanked for the first foul or missed assignment) that he really found his stride. If at all possible, I would give Nick lots of minutes early in hopes that he finds his stride.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Much like Young, I feel like Babb understood what his role was last year and never really pressed the issue. I hate making the comparison, but I can see him making that year to year 3 jump that we saw out of Ejim.

I want to say that it was the WV at Hilton but in the first half Babb was the only player that looked comfortable going up against the press. He really impressed me in that game even though the stat sheet doesn't show gaudy numbers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron