The Breece vs DM Conversation

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Because it’s not that simple.

Now…Go!

I love me some DM, but if I had to start a team and could only pick one of them, it would be Hall, hands down. He's just the more explosive option. I know he has the benefit of a better offensive line, but he also has the better vision of the two to take advantage of any little opening, and the burst to get through it once he spots it. DM would have to break a tackle first. Hall can break tackles too, but there are some instances where he doesn't have to when DM would.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I love me some DM, but if I had to start a team and could only pick one of them, it would be Hall, hands down. He's just the more explosive option. I know he has the benefit of a better offensive line, but he also has the better vision of the two to take advantage of any little opening, and the burst to get through it once he spots it. DM would have to break a tackle first. Hall can break tackles too, but there are some instances where he doesn't have to when DM would.

While DM has improved on his vision and intelligence with his running and timing in the pros, it still isn't his strength, whereas Breece is a wizard in those categories. As much as I hate to oversimplify it this way, it does kind of come down to the playing smart (Breece) versus the playing hard (DM) type of running games. Yes, I know DM has never really had a line anywhere like Breece has, but still, give me Breece Hall to start a new college football team with.

glenn_thegreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2020
I don’t think Breece gets enough credit for breaking tackles. He’s not DM but there were several time last year (1st Oklahoma game comes to mind) that he was dead to rights 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and breaks off a 10 yard run.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
They're both incredible but very different. When Breece sees the hole, he gone.

David, if he can't run around you he'll run through you and it'll take 11 to get him down.

Different styles, equally effective.

Last edited:

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I loved watching the bruising nature of DM - but nothing gets my heart racing like seeing Breeced Lightning galloping down the sideline/ in the open field.

This TD comes to mind:

Reactions: Aclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Breece does a really good job breaking tackles, and he has a top gear that DM just couldn't match. I don't know that I've ever seen Breece get run down when he busted loose. It happened to DM pretty regularly.

I don't enjoy this conversation, because DM was one of the most violent, hard hitting RBs I've ever seen, and in terms of establishing the culture of the Campbell era, there's a strong argument to make that he was the most important player in that process. If someone told me that David Montgomery was the most important player in Iowa State history, I would probably agree.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I loved watching the bruising nature of DM - but nothing gets my heart racing like seeing Breeced Lightning galloping down the sideline/ in the open field.

This TD comes to mind:

This play was the moment where I realized that Breece was on a different level (starting at 1:11)

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think in 2022 and 2023, 2 of the top 5 RB in the NFL will be former Cyclones.

I think Breece has the upside of one of the all time greats in NFL history.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think in 2022 and 2023, 2 of the top 5 RB in the NFL will be former Cyclones.

I think Breece has the upside of one of the all time greats in NFL history.
I’m not going to complain about that. But I want to see that Breece runs in the low 4.4’s at the Combinr before I make any statements about his long term NFL success. “Run away from tacklers” speed isn’t the same there as it is in college.

I mean, Breece is really athletic…I just don’t know where his top end speed is.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Once I watched the endzone view replay of the 2017 TCU game, I had a full appreciation of what a different situation the two RBs are running with. Between the drastic OL improvement and the fact that the read "option" was still a staple of the playbook with Kempt at QB, there was just never anything there for Montgomery. He was making guys miss in a phone booth to get 3 yards.

It's sort of a cop-out, but I think each RB was the right guy given the situation. If I have an immobile QB and below average OL, I think Montgomery is better, and it's not close. If I have above average OL play and a QB that can pull it and run, I'll take Breece by a pretty good margin.

Reactions: VeloClone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I really liked this interview by Breece. I really liked the part starting about the 3:25 mark. Breece talks about setting up a linebacker and a safety in a run against TCU. I thought, wow this guy really understands the RB position and is going to be special.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It is scary how good Breece can be this year. He was awesome last year as a true sophomore. Now he will be a year older and that much better. Plus his o-line should be that much better too. Plus you have all-conference players in the passing game, so a team can't load the box without getting punished for it.

Last edited:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Any way we could make this a Breece, DM and TD thread? I wasn’t around for TD so I’d like to hear from the old heads.