The Breece vs DM Conversation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hard to know given the circumstances were so different.

Montgomery came into a rebuilding team. He was a master of getting hit in the backfield and still getting five yards. Give him daylight, and he was gone, though he did not have elite top-end speed. Didn't have the talent or experience at QB or on the lines like the program cumulative has now.

Hall has a much better team around him.

I think I need to see what the NFL draft and how their NFL careers go to be sure about this.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
When you are going to tackle david, you are thinking “oh f*ck… this is going to hurt.”

When you are trying to tackle Breece, you are thinking “sweet I’ve got an angle on him… oh sh*t… nevermind”

I remember an interview one time with an NFL linebacker...

"In college, you hit the running backs. In the NFL, the running backs hit you."

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hard to know given the circumstances were so different.

Montgomery came into a rebuilding team. He was a master of getting hit in the backfield and still getting five yards. Give him daylight, and he was gone, though he did not have elite top-end speed. Didn't have the talent or experience at QB or on the lines like the program cumulative has now.

Hall has a much better team around him.

I think I need to see what the NFL draft and how their NFL careers go to be sure about this.
I think Breece masterfully takes advantage of situations when he’s in bad spots and uses his speed and angles to rip off gains. This is where he makes his bread and butter. Will be interesting to see if he can do the same thing in the league with LB and DBs that have better football IQ.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think Breece masterfully takes advantage of situations when he’s in bad spots and uses his speed and angles to rip off gains. This is where he makes his bread and butter. Will be interesting to see if he can do the same thing in the league with LB and DBs that have better football IQ.

This is true -- Hall is better at just not getting hit.

But I wonder what he'd be like in a situation where he didn't have a good line in front of him.

The number of times Montgomery made nothin' into somethin' and somethin' into six was staggering.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
NFL wise Montgomery has the rare “workhorse RB” potential. Hall has the typical RB by committee potential the NFL has gone towards.

College wise Breece is more electrifying, but so was Reggie Bush who wasn’t a great NFL RB.

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
I don’t think Breece gets enough credit for breaking tackles. He’s not DM but there were several time last year (1st Oklahoma game comes to mind) that he was dead to rights 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and breaks off a 10 yard run.
There was a couple insane runs from Breece in that game. After rewatching those highlights from different camera angles its apparent he's in another caliber than David. I know he had a chip on his shoulder because Oklahoma passed on him, but that ability he showed in that game is nuts. Freak was the word that popped in my head.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
And that’s why he’ll catch on as a third down RB in the league.

You don't draft 1st or 2nd round RBs to be a 3rd down back.

Breece is 10x the RB DM was at Iowa State, and great leader as well. However, DM might have had one of the greatest impacts on building our program in regards to the culture and work ethic he established.

DM was a 1st to 2nd team all Big 12 type player... Breece is arguably the best RB in the country. Big difference in regards to separating himself at the top.

Big fan of them both and they both have had a tremendous impact on Iowa State.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
You don't draft 1st or 2nd round RBs to be a 3rd down back.

Breece is 10x the RB DM was at Iowa State, and great leader as well. However, DM might have had one of the greatest impacts on building our program in regards to the culture and work ethic he established.

DM was a 1st to 2nd team all Big 12 type player... Breece is arguably the best RB in the country. Big difference in regards to separating himself at the top.

Big fan of them both and they both have had a tremendous impact on Iowa State.

Hey that’s great if you don’t understand most NFL teams utilize multiple RB’s now and the workhorse Rb of 10 or so years ago is mostly extinct. But yep Breece will be one of the rare first round RB’s now!

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I remember when the Chiefs drafted a RB with the last pick in the first round and the media lost their minds because RB’s aren’t worth first round picks anymore.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
NFL wise Montgomery has the rare “workhorse RB” potential. Hall has the typical RB by committee potential the NFL has gone towards.

College wise Breece is more electrifying, but so was Reggie Bush who wasn’t a great NFL RB.

We'll see. Reggie Bush was more of a darter iirc and Breece is a deceptively strong runner.

Fwiw Bush was still in the league for 10 years and while he didn't take off like was expected, that's a good long career for an RB.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We'll see. Reggie Bush was more of a darter iirc and Breece is a deceptively strong runner.

Fwiw Bush was still in the league for 10 years and while he didn't take off like was expected, that's a good long career for an RB.
Ya bush was a pretty average to above average back. He just didn't live up to his draft position.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I tend to take into account that DM was still learning the RB position in college after playing QB in high school.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hey that’s great if you don’t understand most NFL teams utilize multiple RB’s now and the workhorse Rb of 10 or so years ago is mostly extinct. But yep Breece will be one of the rare first round RB’s now!
Hey, I happen think it’s great if you think that the main reason DM is a feature back in Chicago is because he’s that good—not because the Bears front office has been incompetent when it comes to acquiring sufficient quality offensive players.

Fields may be an exception to that rule. Of course, then they immediately drafted a solid RT—and released the one solid tackle they already had, to make up for it.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

And that’s about what I expect for Breece. He’ll have a nice career.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Any way we could make this a Breece, DM and TD thread? I wasn’t around for TD so I’d like to hear from the old heads.

They all 3 are/were amazing. TD was the offense alot of those times and he still got the yards. All 3 play running back at a level that is beyond most. You really couldn't go wrong using any of them as a starter. Cop out I know, but true in IMO.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
From here: '22 QB Rocco Becht Commits | CycloneFanatic: The Internet's most popular site for fans of the Iowa State Cyclones ,

I don't think that is fair to compare Breece to David now, especially with how different the leagues are and how much David has evolved since being at ISU. I much prefer to compare the college to college career and I'm a monstrous Bears fan, so I watch every game David plays in now. David's success he has had lately is a lot due to his much improved vision, his better patience, and how much he has also improved his speed. All the credit in the world goes to David for that improvement. He somewhat struggled on all those fronts to varying levels during his college career and even during his first year in the league.
His blocking has never been very good for his entire college and NFL career. What David has done with inferior lineman is quite frankly shocking. Do you remember how many times he was hit in the backfield while it isu? There's no doubt Breece is a great running back but I'm not ready to say he's better than David.
Both fantastic backs. When Breece was half-way into his Frosh season, I remember thinking, Well this is a pretty good replacement for David!

We are very lucky we have had two back to back superior RB's! I'd like to get used to that.