Team analysis/observations after Hilton Madness

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yeah but most skinny freshman that ended up being skinny seniors disnt have a dad that was anything but skinny and played football for ISU. He has grown 3 inches in a year and just turned 17. It is 100% reasonable to expect George to bulk up. I was a 180 rail on my 17 birthday and 240 with little fat by my sophomore year in college. Anyone who new my dad or grandpa could have predicted that too.

Yeah, when I turned 17, I was maybe 6’3 165 and then was 6’4 200 in a year. Hell, and then I spent a year playing video games in Friley and actually improved at rec ball. Most of these guys have a ton of development in front of them.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, when I turned 17, I was maybe 6’3 165 and then was 6’4 200 in a year. Hell, and then I spent a year playing video games in Friley and actually improved at rec ball. Most of these guys have a ton of development in front of them.

How much did you sweat though?

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
How well is it going to work with Nick and Zoran at the 3 and 4 if neither can hit a 3 pointer? Not much spread to that offense.
Talley's shot looked really good in this event, I bet he shoots a decent percentage from deep, plus NWB not being 4th or 5th option from deep will help him. He seems to have a swagger about him he didn't have deferring to our other guards last year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was going to say to people --

Where is the trust there will be incremental progress from juniors who then become seniors or, maybe most importantly, freshmen becoming sophomores?

Wiggi || Jackson || NWB || Talley || Young

...one year, might not seem much different than...

Wiggi || Shayok || NWB || Talley || Young

...the next, but consider how much better the four returning starters could get over the course of next year and then coming back together the season afterwards.

Add in after that Lewis and Lard will be a year older, making the sophomore leap after likely significant bench roles next season, and the recruiting class we are bringing in, with Griffin, THT, and Harris (of those we eventually land in the end of it) definitely ready to contribute on some level as freshmen, and we have to get a lot better.

Brase and Beverly are easy to imagine being replaced.

Jackson will sting, love him, but I am confident we have at least him in Shayok and probably likely much more with the recruits and overall maturation of the roster around them.

We will be good and likely much better.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Monte Morris, Anthony Davis, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-jabbar, Jared Uthoff, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, etc. Also, players rarely bulk up that much. If they are skinny as a freshman, they likely be skinny as a senior, most of the time. It seems like some people think George Conditt can bulk up to 250lbs in 2 years with no adverse effects on his athleticism or health. I am also on the side of "strength/bulk is extremely overrated."
One of these is not like the others....

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not sure what your basis is for picking Shayok/Jacobsen over Jackson/Brase. I've seen Jackson win games for us under pressure situations, but haven't seen that from Shayok at this point. They're also playing totally different positions. From what I've seen on film, a healthy Brase is a better player than Jacobsen due to his outside shot and defense. Not saying that they Shayok/Jacobsen may not end up being better, but to say that now is without support.

Yeah there is support because they have both played for Power 5 teams.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah there is support because they have both played for Power 5 teams.
Yeah, he is showing the side-effects of too much Kool-aid if he thinks Shayok and Jacobson haven't "shown" more than DJ and Brase. Offseason optimism at its best. We'll need the DJ and Brase combo to be as productive, if not more, than then numbers Shayok and Jacobson put up, so it's a mere formality that they haven't actually yet done so.

An aside...watching Jacobson I can't help but feel even more strongly that he would have filled a need the past two years, and therefore would have made an impact.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Something that has been bothering me...

I've seen many predictions of "I think we really struggle this year and probably miss the tournament but I think we are set up for a big run in '18-'19."

IMO it's either one or the other. A big run to me is getting past the sweet 16. I 95% don't believe that adding the production of Shayok, Jacobson, some freshman, and added experience for guys that will be back next year will be so much better than the production we'll get from DJ, Brase, and Beverly that we go from completely missing the tournament to an elite 8. I just don't see it.

I think we have a solid team this year. I think we make the tournament. And I think we build the foundation for a big year in '18-'19 and '19-'20. I just don't see how we completely miss the tournament this year and then explode in '18-'19. We are bringing in talent but not that kind of talent. Mark me down for #7.
3933984_orig.jpg

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Lol come back and talk when we get an All American, top 5 draft pick power forward and an all American point guard. And if you're going to try and prove a point, the least you could do is get the right team in your picture.
Yeah, it is the wrong team. But the point stands, that team finished 15-15 the year before, Fizer was far, far from a top 5 draft pick at that point and no one knew we had an all american point guard coming in. ISU was picked dead last by one publication in 99-00 for Pete's sake. It has happened before, it can happen again.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, it is the wrong team. But the point stands, that team finished 15-15 the year before, Fizer was far, far from a top 5 draft pick at that point and no one knew we had an all american point guard coming in. ISU was picked dead last by one publication in 99-00 for Pete's sake. It has happened before, it can happen again.
He's wrong on many fronts.
1.) If we miss this year we certainly can still be expected to improve enough next year due to returning likely four starters and two key backups, adding two guys coming off redshirts that are more proven than anything we have right now, plus what should be a good class.
2.) There doesn't need to be a huge difference in rosters to go from missing the tournament to making the tournament. I don't think I've read anyone predicting missing this year followed by the Elite Eight. Anyone predicting that we could make such a run probably feels good about making it this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclone101

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Not saying it can't happen again... Just super unlikely. Fizer had been all big 12 both years in the league up to that point.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I'm not assuming that at all. I think DJ will give us 14 to 15 ppg or so. And if we get 10 ppg out of Brase and Beverly combined I'd be really happy.

My point is... I don't see how you can say "oh yeah I just think we're gonna struggle this year but we'll make a deep run next year." Shayok next year and DJ this year = push. Jacobson next year = Brase. Beverly will struggle to get time this year, I think. Anyone that thinks the addition of 2 ready to contribute freshman in Zion and (hopefully) THT and more experienced underclassmen will magically pull is from an NIT to an elite 8 is a nut.

We're good enough for the tournament if the cards fall right this year. And we'll be good enough for an elite 8 next year if the cards fall right. But to think we will miss the tournament this year AND go deep next year is setting yourself up for 2 years of disappointment if that's the timeline you think we're on.
I disagree. I didn't click the "Disagree" button because I want everyone to know I disagree.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
With the bottom half of the B12 as strong as it’s been I really don’t think there is much difference between missing the tourney and making the S16.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't see anyone saying they will have a deep run but Shayok is better than Jackson. Jacobsen is better than Brase. Wigginton, Lewis, Lard, Babb, Young, Talley should all improve.

This. And I WILL say deep run next year and NIT this year. Shayock is probably the best player on the team right now. Wigginton may be better eventually, but he needs time to develop his game (which he'll get this year).

This year, the leading scorer will probably be Jackson, who was a backup last year. Babb was inconsistent, Young was a garbage man. Then you have some transfers and some green FR. Next year, you get a year of experience on Wigginton, Lewis, Lard. Babb and Young have experience in expanded roles. You add a tough interior player in Jacobson and an elite wing in Shayock plus 4 FR that are all going to be top 150 guys. That is a roster that can make a run.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I think I found a team video from the 15-15 team.
980x.gif

Reactions: rholtgraves