Team analysis/observations after Hilton Madness

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see anyone saying they will have a deep run but Shayok is better than Jackson. Jacobsen is better than Brase. Wigginton, Lewis, Lard, Babb, Young, Talley should all improve.

Not sure what your basis is for picking Shayok/Jacobsen over Jackson/Brase. I've seen Jackson win games for us under pressure situations, but haven't seen that from Shayok at this point. They're also playing totally different positions. From what I've seen on film, a healthy Brase is a better player than Jacobsen due to his outside shot and defense. Not saying that they Shayok/Jacobsen may not end up being better, but to say that now is without support.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
So you're saying that I can be like Michael Jordan since I didn't make my high school varsity team as a freshman?
3bjwb.gif

Reactions: jcyclonee

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not sure what your basis is for picking Shayok/Jacobsen over Jackson/Brase. I've seen Jackson win games for us under pressure situations, but haven't seen that from Shayok at this point. They're also playing totally different positions. From what I've seen on film, a healthy Brase is a better player than Jacobsen due to his outside shot and defense. Not saying that they Shayok/Jacobsen may not end up being better, but to say that now is without support.
So is saying anything about Jackson, Brase, and Beverly.

It's more speculative to say that unknown trio plus a bunch of other unprovens will be better than Shayok and Jacobson, with the same other guys in Year Two plus a new group of unproven guys.

I don't think Beverly sees much time. So you're down to DJ and a guy coming off a major injury and in his first year of major college basketball.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

We've seen Shayock play at Virginia for 3 years. He is better than what Jackson showed last year. If anything, we have more evidence of Shayock being a stud than we do Jackson.

• Agree
Reactions: mfelske and Doc

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Didn't Des Moines get announced in April?
Something like that but Minneapolis has been known for a long time and people were excited, then blew their collective loads when Des Moines as announced and we weren't host. Talk of '18-'19 being the year haven't been hard to find on here and anyone saying we'll miss the tournament and also go deep the following year is delusional.

People seem to think that I don't think we will be better in two years than this year. I absolutely do. But the talk of having a down year this year and then turning around going deep the next year is foolish.

We'll be fine this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney and Cat

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
How well is it going to work with Nick and Zoran at the 3 and 4 if neither can hit a 3 pointer? Not much spread to that offense.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

It doesn’t matter if you saw it, what matters is that it happened. And it’s happened more than this.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcs...yok-carry-virginia-76-71-win-against-uncw?amp

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
How well is it going to work with Nick and Zoran at the 3 and 4 if neither can hit a 3 pointer? Not much spread to that offense.

You don’t really have to be that effective of a 3pt shooter to force them to guard you. Also, it’s not like we’ll have a big man that will force defense to sag to them either. Honestly, a guy that just shoots is probably more of a liability on offense than a guy that can dribble drive and pass and shoot a little.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and DrT

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
You don’t really have to be that effective of a 3pt shooter to force them to guard you. Also, it’s not like we’ll have a big man that will force defense to sag to them either. Honestly, a guy that just shoots is probably more of a liability on offense than a guy that can dribble drive and pass and shoot a little.

Hmmm, if I'm coach on opposing team, I'm playing a little amoeba defense on them, sagging inside till they make a shot.

Wouldn't sagging inside disrupt the pick and roll?

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hmmm, if I'm coach on opposing team, I'm playing a little amoeba defense on them, sagging inside till they make a shot.

Wouldn't sagging inside disrupt the pick and roll?

It won’t take long to bust that. Wigginton will bag the 17 footer all day and Jackson will stroke the rhythm pull up 3 all day.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Monte Morris, Anthony Davis, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-jabbar, Jared Uthoff, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, etc. Also, players rarely bulk up that much. If they are skinny as a freshman, they likely be skinny as a senior, most of the time. It seems like some people think George Conditt can bulk up to 250lbs in 2 years with no adverse effects on his athleticism or health. I am also on the side of "strength/bulk is extremely overrated."
Yeah but most skinny freshman that ended up being skinny seniors disnt have a dad that was anything but skinny and played football for ISU. He has grown 3 inches in a year and just turned 17. It is 100% reasonable to expect George to bulk up. I was a 180 rail on my 17 birthday and 240 with little fat by my sophomore year in college. Anyone who new my dad or grandpa could have predicted that too.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and isutrevman