Taco Bell in Ames... CLOSED???

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The way I see it people are going to "snob" all of the businesses away from campus. Obviously Taco Bell is no bastion of quality - but at least it was there, within walking distance. Just like McDonald's was when I was going to school there. And I'm not even sure if BK is still even there or not.

Burger King is not in campus town. The nearest one to campus is on Lincoln way about a block or two west of duff. I would think that businesses like taco bell, mcdonalds and other chain restaurants like that would be a gold mine being next to a big college campus, but I guess now.

It's funny that the more development that goes on in campustown, the less places there are to pick up a cheap bite to eat.

I really miss Home Team Pizza. Not the best, but $5 larges, oh yeah!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Burger King is not in campus town. The nearest one to campus is on Lincoln way about a block or two west of duff. I would think that businesses like taco bell, mcdonalds and other chain restaurants like that would be a gold mine being next to a big college campus, but I guess now.

It used to be - right next to the movie theater on Lincoln Way.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Nope. DQ closed not that long ago.

Yeah, I thought it might have. I couldn't remember from last time I was there. That is horrible. I really don't like what they are doing with campustown. It is cool that they are renovating, but all the old business are leaving and I'm not seeing great stuff come in.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Yeah, I thought it might have. I couldn't remember from last time I was there. That is horrible. I really don't like what they are doing with campustown. It is cool that they are renovating, but all the old business are leaving and I'm not seeing great stuff come in.

DQ was first replaced by some smoothie/ice-cream shop, and now Flying Burrito is there.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
DQ was first replaced by some smoothie/ice-cream shop, and now Flying Burrito is there.

Oooh, Flying Burrito? Well, that makes me feel a little better from what people have said about the place on here. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.

And of course Planet Sub is new since I was in school, and that place is pretty good.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Are the bars driving out the fast food?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You would think that corner would be perfect for another restaurant to come in. If the owner would spend some money and fix that parking lot then you have a great spot for foot traffic from students as well as a very highly traveled stretch of road with easy access. I'm hoping that we'll get a Hardees or Chick-fil-A or something like that.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You would think that corner would be perfect for another restaurant to come in. If the owner would spend some money and fix that parking lot then you have a great spot for foot traffic from students as well as a very highly traveled stretch of road with easy access. I'm hoping that we'll get a Hardees or Chick-fil-A or something like that.

I would go nuts if they got a Chick-fil-A there. I would LOVE that. :jiggy:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I would go nuts if they got a Chick-fil-A there. I would LOVE that. :jiggy:

Im surprised des moines doesnt have any other than the one in jordan creek mall... you'd think itd make sense to have more than one in an area.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Are the bars driving out the fast food?

No. There's just much better fast food options in Campustown than Taco Bell and McDonalds. Those places are dying off not because business is leaving Campustown, but because there are other Campustown businesses killing them off. They can't survive when there's ridiculously superior quality for marginally greater prices available.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
No. There's just much better fast food options in Campustown than Taco Bell and McDonalds. Those places are dying off not because business is leaving Campustown, but because there are other Campustown businesses killing them off. They can't survive when there's ridiculously superior quality for marginally greater prices available.

Thats why at 2am on any given weekend there are long lines at the drive throughs at the burger king and the mcdonalds on duff.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Im surprised des moines doesnt have any other than the one in jordan creek mall... you'd think itd make sense to have more than one in an area.

If part of the covenant to having a store at Jordan Creek Mall is a requirement to be open on Sundays, then Chik-Fil-A wouldn't have a store there - part of Chik-Fil-A corporate policy is to be closed on Sundays.

http://www.truettcathy.com/pdfs/ClosedonSunday.pdf

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ooops - misread. I maybe hit Jordan Creek once a year (assuming I can't find ISU gear in Ames that I like before/after a game), so I really don't know what they do or don't have.