Starting Lineup Post Halliburton?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa-state/2020.html

Go down to “Per 100 Poss” section. ORtg and DRtg are the last two right hand columns.

I am all for the advanced stats, but two things here --

Sports Reference does not adjust for the quality of opponent. I know those numbers are all within the Big 12, but KU, BU, and WVU are much better than everybody else in the conference right now, so you should adjust for that in the data.

The differences in the DRTGs are pretty small. Trying to reason everything out of those small differences (which could be just the difference in opponent quality/who happens to face the starters versus the bench) is probably reaching a little.

I prefer the points above replacement statistic --

upload_2020-2-10_16-11-23.png

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?filter=conf&year=2020&team=Iowa+St.

Nixon
Bolton
Lewis
Young
Conditt
---
Jackson
Griffin
Grill

The bottom three are more for development purposes at this point, but we are kind of running out of players, so they are all going to see the floor.

...we should just stop playing Jacobson already.

I would imagine the reality is going to be this, though --

Nixon
Bolton
Jackson
Jacobson
Young
---
Lewis
Griffin
Conditt

Last edited:

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I don't mind Nixon as the starting PG as long as he quits chucking 3s. What I do mind is Jacobsen at the 4. He just needs to spell whoever is playing 5.

Should start anyone but Jacobsen. He just doesn't really fit well at all this year in any lineup I can think of due to Conditt and Solo, and I feel like Griffin has way more future upside.

Solo has had more ups than downs lately and it makes me feel kinda bad for him having injury troubles over the years. We may not have seen Peak Solo after all.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I've had a lot of issues with Prohm's lineups and rotations, but after reading this thread I realize it could be a lot lot worse.

Saying Bolton isn't in our top 5 is just silly.

For the crowd that wants Solo and Conditt to start (I'm big fans of both), are you envisioning both playing on the block? If not which one moves to the perimeter (Jacobson's spot)?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I've had a lot of issues with Prohm's lineups and rotations, but after reading this thread I realize it could be a lot lot worse.

For the crowd that wants Solo and Conditt to start (I'm big fans of both), are you envisioning both playing on the block? If not which one moves to the perimeter (Jacobson's spot)?

I was just about to post this same question. Any lineup with Young and Conditt in together sounds like it wouldn't work. I think we would have to run a zone on defense at that point too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Start-
Jacobson-play him 15-20 minutes
Solo-play him 20-30 minutes depending on if he is good that day or not
Nixon-play him 20-30 minutes if he is the Nixon from Saturday. Play him less if he is the bad version.
Tre-play him 35 minutes if he doesn't get in foul trouble
Bolton-play him 30-35 minutes because we have no one else

Sub-
Lewis-play him 25-30 minutes (in for Jacobson and/or Nixon)
Conditt-play him 20 minutes subbing for Solo
Zion-play him 10-15 minutes
Grill-play him 10-15 minutes

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneJoe6

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The announcers on the post game said that Mike may have not been good on offense but he played really good defense against KSU.

I think Mike has caught some undeserved flack on here. When he transferred here, we were looking for a good interior athlete who could rebound. I think he's shown that. Towards the end of last year he was playing real well offensively, but that may have been more about his fit on that team than his ability. This year he's unfortunately out of position and just isn't a guy you run offense around.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here is what I know. We have 5 guys with positive net player ratings (ORtg - DRtg) on the year through Saturday. In order, they are:

1. Haliburton
2. Conditt
3. Lewis
4. Solo
5. Griffin (he is almost even, but statistically produces more than he allows per 100 possessions)

Everyone else, including Bolton, has a negative net player rating. Bolton’s is better than Nixon’s, but not by much. The question is, who can run the point? After what I saw when Haliburton went down, Nixon looked more comfortable there.

I understand my lineup looks crazy.

We have alot of problems but Bolton isn't one of them. His efficient ratings may not be high, but that's the product of being one of two playmakers on the entire roster. Now with Haliburton on the bench he's literally the only guy that can do something with the ball in his hands. That's going to lead to some inefficiencies, but he just has to be the guy.

Reactions: VeloClone

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016

Yes, play both of them on the block. Lots of options with a zone, look at their combined wing span! If you want to play man, I don't know why young couldn't do the four spot. Jacobson had a better year last year because he was better at the 5 spot (way more aggressive ) than he has been at the 4 spot.
NOW think of the possibilities on the offensive end! In theory we have twice the opportunity for inside shots, and go to a 1 point guard instead of 3 guards and we should cut down on the running and throwing up bad 3's.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Bench Jacobson and Nixon roll out the underclassmen. If Nixon plays tell him no 3's unless you are under 5 sec on the shot clock. Time to grow for next yr as much as I hate to write off a season.

By the way skipped the 1st 7 pages don't know don't care.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Yes, play both of them on the block. Lots of options with a zone, look at their combined wing span! If you want to play man, I don't know why young couldn't do the four spot. Jacobson had a better year last year because he was better at the 5 spot (way more aggressive ) than he has been at the 4 spot.
NOW think of the possibilities on the offensive end! In theory we have twice the opportunity for inside shots, and go to a 1 point guard instead of 3 guards and we should cut down on the running and throwing up bad 3's.

How do we score with both of them plugging the lane?

Young isn’t going to guard many Big 12 4s

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I was just about to post this same question. Any lineup with Young and Conditt in together sounds like it wouldn't work. I think we would have to run a zone on defense at that point too.

Griffin or Lewis at the 4 with Nixon, Jackson, and Bolton.

I wouldn't mind seeing Young at the 4 just for kicks--the games I've watched I don't think that's happened? I don't really recall. Young seems to be getting better as the season goes on, though.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Bench Jacobson and Nixon roll out the underclassmen. If Nixon plays tell him no 3's unless you are under 5 sec on the shot clock. Time to grow for next yr as much as I hate to write off a season.

By the way skipped the 1st 7 pages don't know don't care.

I've seen alot of this and I just don't get it. Playing guys who aren't ready to play big minutes in a Big 12 game doesn't do anything for their development. You have to bring their confidence along as well. Just plopping Grill out there for 30 minutes for "development" doesn't do anyone any good.

Plus I think you owe way more to the seniors than this. Especially Mike.

• Agree
Reactions: NodawayRiverClone

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Plus I think you owe way more to the seniors than this. Especially Mike.

And I don't really understand this at all. I had a great junior season (went to state playoffs) in high school football, but I regressed a bit as a senior due to realizing I had other things I needed to concentrate on more, and I didn't have what it takes for collegiate athletics.

I got benched halfway through the season for someone who wanted it more and played better in-game. I completely understood what was happening and was absolutely fine with it, because that's life.

The idea that an individual on a team is "owed" something, when it might actively hurt the team as a whole in the long run is just ridiculous to me.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Haven't read the whole thread, but here is my thoughts on the Lewis obsession.

We are probably going to lose all of our remaining games. I would much rather watch Lewis,a junior, hit shots and take it to the rim, providing points to a team who sorely needs it, than watch a senior shoot 15 percent.

He has the physical tools to be a good defender. I would rather see a junior try to learn defense, than watch us miss every shot and jack up 3s with no passing. We are going to lose anyway, might as well enjoy some offense and some highlights.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Not sure if mentioned, but Nixon has a 2.3 assist/turnover ratio. Bolton is .97.
So maybe we need Nixon to just play point ala Jacy Holloway, and let everyone else do the shooting. Unless it's the last shot of the game to beat Kansas.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Not sure if mentioned, but Nixon has a 2.3 assist/turnover ratio. Bolton is .97.
So maybe we need Nixon to just play point ala Jacy Holloway, and let everyone else do the shooting. Unless it's the last shot of the game to beat Kansas.
With our offensive rebounding, every time Nixon shoots a 3 should be counted as a turnover.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
What the lineup will most likely be:
Nixon
Bolton
Jackson
Jacobson
Young

What I wish the lineup would be:
Bolton
Jackson
Lewis
Young
Conditt

Exactly. Although, I could also see Jacobson in place of Conditt to try and win this year. In terms of building for the future though (or at least to show that they don't have it), Conditt, Jackson and Lewis (particularly Lewis) getting extended run would be nice to see. Really hope we can snag a good grad transfer.