Starting Lineup Post Halliburton?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Mike went 1-6 for 2 points. He had 5 rebounds and 2 blocks which is okay, but I would not define that as being really good.

The announcers on the post game said that Mike may have not been good on offense but he played really good defense against KSU.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Remember when the 21 point lead against KState shrunk to 4 points with under 10 to go in the 2nd half? I do. Bolton was taken out with 7:50 left, and the lineup I posted was the one that was in there the rest of the game, up until the last 20 seconds when Bolton was put back in for FT shooting.

That lineup played solid D, rebounded took care of the ball and ran offense.

So you want our best player to not start? Lol

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'll agree he looked good to start Saturday. But the whole team did. What I care about is crunch time and the second half. That's where he has disappeared all season

Mike had a couple good defensive plays and rebounds in crunch time.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Lewis was great Saturday. Got lost a couple times on defense (so did others) but was locked in otherwise
Yeah I can’t deny that he did lose Sneed a couple times but Sneed missed most of them. (Except for the one he tried to gamble on.) Overall, I thought the lineups/rotations on Saturday were pretty good. Might have played Conditt more in the second half because he almost had a double-double at halftime but we won so no complaints.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The announcers on the post game said that Mike may have not been good on offense but he played really good defense against KSU.
Mike was solid in the post but a liability on offense. That has basically been his entire season in a nutshell. For whatever reason his offensive game has been terrible and I think him playing the 4 and not being surrounded by a ton of talent has caused that.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
There's no sugar-coating the rest of the season, but Nixon at least demonstrated that he can run the point when called upon. I'd like to see more of a motion offense with Nixon as more of a pass-first PG. To have any kind of success, we need Solo, Conditt and Jacobson to produce inside. We weren't a strong perimeter team, and we just lost our strongest piece.

Right or wrong, I believe that Lewis's ability to cut to the rim and work around screens is going to be needed going forward. Some of these guys got in the habit of watching Tyrese with the ball and not putting in the work beforehand to get to their spots. Maybe having their hand forced will be good for some of these younger guys.

As far as MJ, I hope he can step up and keep this team together. He's had a rough year, but hopefully he can finish out the year and his Cyclone career on a better note.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Mike was solid in the post but a liability on offense. That has basically been his entire season in a nutshell. For whatever reason his offensive game has been terrible and I think him playing the 4 and not being surrounded by a ton of talent has caused that.

And t lew has been solid on offense and a liability on defense. Yet some on here think he should have been starting all year.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
how many points is Lewis giving up? It goes both ways. But I promise you there will be plenty of playing for the future. But the lineup that WON us a game with Tyrese for 15 minutes included Jake and Nixon.

I don’t know if you have some sort of weird fetish with Lewis or what.
Lewis was in that lineup down the stretch too.

I'd go with Nixon, Bolton, Lewis, Jacobson, Conditt or Young.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There's no sugar-coating the rest of the season, but Nixon at least demonstrated that he can run the point when called upon. I'd like to see more of a motion offense with Nixon as more of a pass-first PG. To have any kind of success, we need Solo, Conditt and Jacobson to produce inside. We weren't a strong perimeter team, and we just lost our strongest piece.

Right or wrong, I believe that Lewis's ability to cut to the rim and work around screens is going to be needed going forward. Some of these guys got in the habit of watching Tyrese with the ball and not putting in the work beforehand to get to their spots. Maybe having their hand forced will be good for some of these younger guys.

As far as MJ, I hope he can step up and keep this team together. He's had a rough year, but hopefully he can finish out the year and his Cyclone career on a better note.

In order not to completely be embarrassed (and frankly losing by less than 20 the rest of the way will be a win), we have to feed the post. Because no one can hit a god damn shot, they will pack it in against us. Saturday told us that, right now, Nixon is the one that can maybe feed the post.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And t lew has been solid on offense and a liability on defense. Yet some on here think he should have been starting all year.
Yeah I'm not sure I would've started Terrence or Mike but that's the way it was. I would've liked to have seen Solomon and Conditt start together with Bolton, Tyrese and Jackson.

Now that Tyrese is out though, I think you need to find production on the offensive end, not the defensive end. But that's just my opinion.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

you're right. And I know it doesn’t seem like it but I don’t hate him. (I even told his mom in the rest room on Saturday that I love watching him and I do.). I just hate that he gets every benefit of the doubt from all of you and his faults are excused when other players namely Jacobson and Nixon get killed.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Bolton is our best player now that Haliburton is out. I'm not even sure who's second best now. Probably Solo or Conditt but both have been inconsistent

Bolton is probably our best 1-on-1 guy, but I will disagree with him being our best player (outside if haliburton).

1. He dribbles way too much
2. Doesn’t have the greatest handle
3. Hardly ever passes, and when he puts his head down to take it to the rim, he never passes
4. He is not a good defender (I rewatched the KState game so I could watch Lewis, specifically, but ended up being blown away at how bad Bolton was defensively)
5. He rarely rebounds
6. He doesn’t “value” the ball

Bolton is good at getting to the rim, and has had some good shooting games recently. As teams scout him though, he is turning it over more and those drives to the rim are being cut off or flat out blocked more often. He’s not a PG, and this team needs one. Nixon looked pretty decent in the PG role after Hali went down, and Jackson is a MUCH better defender than Bolton.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Bolton is probably our best 1-on-1 guy, but I will disagree with him being our best player (outside if haliburton).

1. He dribbles way too much
2. Doesn’t have the greatest handle
3. Hardly ever passes, and when he puts his head down to take it to the rim, he never passes
4. He is not a good defender (I rewatched the KState game so I could watch Lewis, specifically, but ended up being blown away at how bad Bolton was defensively)
5. He rarely rebounds
6. He doesn’t “value” the ball

Bolton is good at getting to the rim, and has had some good shooting games recently. As teams scout him though, he is turning it over more and those drives to the rim are being cut off or flat out blocked more often. He’s not a PG, and this team needs one. Nixon looked pretty decent in the PG role after Hali went down, and Jackson is a MUCH better defender than Bolton.
ELBOWS ARE ALSO TOO POINTY!

My word, who cares who the best player is on ISU's team now? It's really splitting hairs between 2-3 guys on who the best is.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
ELBOWS ARE ALSO TOO POINTY!

My word, who cares who the best player is on ISU's team now? It's really splitting hairs between 2-3 guys on who the best is.

I don’t care. I’d like to see this team compete though. We just don’t have the talent this year to be a top half Big12 team, but we do have guys who play hard and compete when given the opportunity.

I’m telling you...if Bolton is considered “next in line” with Haliburton down, prepare for a **** ton of hero ball and more humiliating losses.

We’ll see I guess.

Kevin Slifka

Nov 22, 2019
I agree with giving next year's potential starters more playing time (and a reason to not jump into the transfer portal) the remainder of the season. I get loyalty, but it's getting harder and harder to watch some of our upper classmen play. That said, does anyone have any tickets for the Texas Tech on 2/22 that they'd like to unload?

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
Here is a perfect opportunity to ACTUALLY change things up and play with two posts. No one will be ready for it. Please start both Conditt and Young, let Jacobson rotate in as a legitimate post, not a wing.
Based on Saturday''s game Nixon appears to be the only one with the chops to handle bringing the ball up the court.
Bolton a wing. Lewis or Zion the other wing. Because of Lewis' ability to cut the basket, and Zion's size and physicality. Also, they seem to both be able to hit a three.
Jackson sub for Nixon or Bolton.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don’t care. I’d like to see this team compete though. We just don’t have the talent this year to be a top half Big12 team, but we do have guys who play hard and compete when given the opportunity.

I’m telling you...if Bolton is considered “next in line” with Haliburton down, prepare for a **** ton of hero ball and more humiliating losses.

We’ll see I guess.

So you think Bolton should come off the bench?