Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Unfortunately, I'm on a Memorial weekend getaway with the in-laws, so this is killing me having to wait to watch until likely Monday night when I get back. While I could still sneak them in on my phone at night in the hotel, I'ma stickler about experiencing it the right way in 4k on the bug screen at home.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Watched both this morning. They are alright, just setting things up I guess. I’m also really bad at setting too high of expectations.

When does the next episode come out?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Watched both this morning. They are alright, just setting things up I guess. I’m also really bad at setting too high of expectations.

When does the next episode come out?
I was disappointed tbh, but I was really really looking forward to it. Hoping for more as we move in.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Wife and I just watched Oni-Wan. Leia can either die or shut the **** up. Spoiled brat *****.

Ewen McGregor makes the show
How the hell can trained henchman not catch a ten year old girl who can not run? Even clever editing could not hide the fact that even for a ten year old this kid has no moves. The story is great, but they are trying to push the cute factor too much. It’s like no one ever realized that ESB, the darkest of the first trilogy, was the best Star Wars. They keep pushing the Ewoks on us.

I liked it but there are a few things that keep it from being great so far.

Reactions: Hoggins

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I thought it was great! The action is lacking in the first 2 episodes, but the storytelling is well done and Ewan's portrayal of Obi-Wan is so good it's not a big deal IMO. Child acting is tough, so I'm not going to bag on that aspect of it too much. They are setting it up for some epic stuff to happen on the back end of this series.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I highly disagree on the Leia criticism. She has the exact right amount of sass for a girl who would grow up into Leia. Carrie Fisher would love her

As for the bounty hunters, they were probably supposed to be not the best of the best. They were supposed to get tracked after all.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I thought it was great! The action is lacking in the first 2 episodes, but the storytelling is well done and Ewan's portrayal of Obi-Wan is so good it's not a big deal IMO. Child acting is tough, so I'm not going to bag on that aspect of it too much. They are setting it up for some epic stuff to happen on the back end of this series.
This is where I'm at. These first 2 episodes are definitely setup. Ewan is fantastic. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes!

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Treat these series like a movie that’s just broken up is my advice. You aren’t going to get a ton in the first two episodes other than introducing new characters and laying the foundation.

How they end episode 2 I thought was great. Always wanted that moment captured on screen.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
How the hell can trained henchman not catch a ten year old girl who can not run? Even clever editing could not hide the fact that even for a ten year old this kid has no moves. The story is great, but they are trying to push the cute factor too much. It’s like no one ever realized that ESB, the darkest of the first trilogy, was the best Star Wars. They keep pushing the Ewoks on us.

I liked it but there are a few things that keep it from being great so far.

That kid actor is literally bow legged. Watching her run is painful, but she avoided all these guys? Ok sure

Less kids talking (or even existing) and more sullen Ewen. If I wanted annoying kids, I’d talk to my own

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Loved the first two episodes. I was a bit concerned that they were going to do the episodic format like Mando as that was getting played out, but it seems this will have one larger plot for the whole season.

I was a bit surprised that they'd kill off the Grand Inquisitor so early. I thought he'd have a bigger role based on the importance of the character.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Loved the first two episodes. I was a bit concerned that they were going to do the episodic format like Mando as that was getting played out, but it seems this will have one larger plot for the whole season.

I was a bit surprised that they'd kill off the Grand Inquisitor so early. I thought he'd have a bigger role based on the importance of the character.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA

Assuming that the Grand Inquisitor is not dead or they'd be completely retconning Rebels that takes place after this series. He looked dead, but... Maul was cut in half and the Emperor thrown overboard and each lived. Ewen McGregor is the best thing out of the prequels, so I'm happy to be seeing more of him. Little Leia is a bit much, but so is older Leia so I'm fine with it.

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
I hate these streaming services dribbling out these episode every week or so. It's like watching network tv in the eighties. The whole point of these streaming services, in my humble opinion, is to release the entire series so I can binge watch them together and not need a recap every week or so. I refuse to watch the first two episodes until the entire series is available.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Assuming that the Grand Inquisitor is not dead or they'd be completely retconning Rebels that takes place after this series. He looked dead, but... Maul was cut in half and the Emperor thrown overboard and each lived. Ewen McGregor is the best thing out of the prequels, so I'm happy to be seeing more of him. Little Leia is a bit much, but so is older Leia so I'm fine with it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I hate these streaming services dribbling out these episode every week or so. It's like watching network tv in the eighties. The whole point of these streaming services, in my humble opinion, is to release the entire series so I can binge watch them together and not need a recap every week or so. I refuse to watch the first two episodes until the entire series is available.
The 80s? Wow, you were way ahead of the curve if you were streaming stuff in the 90's and 00's. At least there's no commercials. I personally don't mind it, but I never binge watch anything anyways.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I liked it, maybe not loved it...it was great to see EM again as OWK.
One thing that stuck out to me is how they portrayed the difference between outer-rim living and living in the core system plants (Alderaan). A little surprised that OWK was so rusty, even in the opening they highlighted Yoda telling OWK that he had training for him, which is more geared toward the life after death "force ghost", but still training and in tune with the force than how he was portrayed.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The girl they have playing Leia is great, but there’s literally no acting chemistry between him and anyone else on screen. I can see it in Ewan’s eyes, “Jesus, not this **** again”.

I will still watch this show out of obligation but so far I think it’s horrible, and I say that as someone who is generally an apologist for the sequel trilogy. The Mandalorian is the new gold standard for tone that Star Wars should be carrying forward from now on, and this is just not the same thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: jctisu and alarson

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Streaming services quickly realizing they can’t just dump the entire show at once because of binging. Netflix saw what happened with that and are paying the price when everyone else got in the game on streaming. People would only pay that single month to watch the show then cancel until the next show they really wanted to watch. Then do it all over. I love streaming but anyone who thought these big companies would be any different from any other corporation was lying to themselves. Making as much money as possible is the only goal for them, so they will weasel around to suck every dime.

The latest thing is what Netflix has done with Ozark and Stranger Things. Show half a season one month and then wait a few weeks or months to release the other half. There’s a reason they are doing that…

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron