Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The girl they have playing Leia is great, but there’s literally no acting chemistry between him and anyone else on screen. I can see it in Ewan’s eyes, “Jesus, not this **** again”.

I will still watch this show out of obligation but so far I think it’s horrible, and I say that as someone who is generally an apologist for the sequel trilogy. The Mandalorian is the new gold standard for tone that Star Wars should be carrying forward from now on, and this is just not the same thing.

I'm not the best one to ask, because I generally love everything with Star Wars but to me this is right there with Mando. I have really enjoyed this show. The kid actor is like most kid actors, just not that good. That said, Kenobi needed something to get him out of the cave and there wasn't much that was going to do it.

BTW I love the sequel trilogy until we get to Rise.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not the best one to ask, because I generally love everything with Star Wars but to me this is right there with Mando. I have really enjoyed this show. The kid actor is like most kid actors, just not that good. That said, Kenobi needed something to get him out of the cave and there wasn't much that was going to do it.

BTW I love the sequel trilogy until we get to Rise.

I can’t disagree with the plot. It’s just that the pacing is completely off. None of the surprises have really landed as surprises for me. There really isn’t any tension, which is really hard to pull off when the audience knows what happens after the events of this story (spoiler: Leia and Obi-wan survive)

I know people here so far disagree with me. This show feels thrown together. For me it doesn’t compare at all to the Mandalorian.

Reactions: Nor'easter

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Pretty unimpressed so far. Writing is pretty mediocre especially some of Revas lines, action scenes have been bad especially the Leia chase scenes. Like bad guys being thwarted by a tree branch and obi wan being out run by a 6 year old playing a 10 year old lol. Would make more sense in a confined space by not in open space on rooftops.

Hopefully the rest of the series has different directors and writer's...

I am enjoying the different planets, feels more pre-quely which I think they need to lean into more since they are now looked upon more favorably than the sequels.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
While there have been elements of the first two episodes that I really loved, (inner fan boy), there have been serious problems so far. For instance, it seems like every third shot is a green screen. :(

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Ok. Watched episode 2 and it was fine. I have a hard time seeing the kid as a 10 yo, feels more like a 6 yo. Hopeing we're done with her after this. If not, the series might fall flat.

I think going too actiony might have been a mistake since we know anyone that makes it to A New Hope has plot armor.

Dumbest line of the series so far, and one that clearly the writers were getting too cute with dialogue, Obi-wan remarks to the girl "How old are you!?!" after the umpteenth sassy line. Kenobi, please. You know exactly how old she is. You have been watching her twin brother for 10 years and were literally there when she was born.

Reactions: AirWalke

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
Streaming services quickly realizing they can’t just dump the entire show at once because of binging. Netflix saw what happened with that and are paying the price when everyone else got in the game on streaming. People would only pay that single month to watch the show then cancel until the next show they really wanted to watch. Then do it all over. I love streaming but anyone who thought these big companies would be any different from any other corporation was lying to themselves. Making as much money as possible is the only goal for them, so they will weasel around to suck every dime.

The latest thing is what Netflix has done with Ozark and Stranger Things. Show half a season one month and then wait a few weeks or months to release the other half. There’s a reason they are doing that…
Totally agree with you, but my retired wife is determined to watch everything Netflix offers so that isn't a problem in my household. For me, like I said, I am willing to wait until the entire series or season is available before I start to watch it. I have a lot of other options so, it's not a big deal to wait.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Overall I enjoy it so far. I'm not looking for 100% realistic action. So the little girls scenes were on the cheesy side but fine. I'm more interested to see if they retcon the a new hope when Vader says the last time we met I was but a learner, now I am a master. Assuming the last time they were together was at Mustafar.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I liked Rise. I just had to not think about what was happening. If you do, it wears out the “Suspension of Disbelief” button when you have to keep hitting it.

I thought Rose was an absolute abomination, a Frankenstein’s monster of a terrible movie trying to respond to every fan ***** about the sequel trilogy to that point. And for the record I absolutely loved TFA and TLJ.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I thought Rose was an absolute abomination, a Frankenstein’s monster of a terrible movie trying to respond to every fan ***** about the sequel trilogy to that point. And for the record I absolutely loved TFA and TLJ.
I loved TFA. It was just a good Star Wars movie that felt like a classic Star Wars movie. Yes the plot was basically A New Hope but I was good with that as they still did some new stuff but more importantly the characters were solid.

Reactions: CycloneEggie

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
What I'm more unimpressed by is the cut and paste format that we've seen in all of these D+ shows. We meet our hero, our hero is down on their luck, someone comes and offers them an opportunity/mission. They complete the mission and the cycle starts over. Give me something new or original. Or ffs, give me something cannon for Kenobi. The first two felt half assed and only focused on fan service. I understand Kenobi has to have some Skywalker tie-ins...but every aspect of the show doesn't need to remind us that Obi Wan Kenobi knew Anakin and the rest of the Skywalker gang.

• Disagree
  • Winner
Reactions: Gorm and alarson

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What I'm more unimpressed by is the cut and paste format that we've seen in all of these D+ shows. We meet our hero, our hero is down on their luck, someone comes and offers them an opportunity/mission. They complete the mission and the cycle starts over. Give me something new or original.

What would you prefer to see? Honestly I'm not sure, based on the characters they have used or created, what else they could be doing with them. From a Star Wars perspective I think they've done pretty well other than Book of Boba.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
What would you prefer to see? Honestly I'm not sure, based on the characters they have used or created, what else they could be doing with them. From a Star Wars perspective I think they've done pretty well other than Book of Boba.
This is my thing with Star Wars fans. You don’t have to like anything past the original trilogy. They have had some misses for me as well. But what drives me crazy is the constant pissing and moaning while never offering up what they want to see.

What do you want to see with Star Wars moving forward? What do/did you want Obi Wan to be? Not in a snide way am I asking this. I genuinely want to know what people want to see happen.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I actually liked the sandpeople training in BOBF. I liked that they gave him a story for the unaccounted for time between hanging out in the Sarlacc and when he showed up in Mando.

Obi Wan is supposed to be in hiding. The empire is actively hunting Jedi. But he's still like...oh, ok I'll go do Jedi **** again. It wasn't believable, it was a massive stretch, and IMO it was corny as hell.