Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Obi Wan is supposed to be in hiding. The empire is actively hunting Jedi. But he's still like...oh, ok I'll go do Jedi **** again.

I mean, that's not what happened at all.

Your assessment of it comes off like those people who criticize Star Wars\Star Trek despite never watching an episode of the newer stuff, but just taking from hater reviews (like RLM)

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
This is my thing with Star Wars fans. You don’t have to like anything past the original trilogy. They have had some misses for me as well. But what drives me crazy is the constant pissing and moaning while never offering up what they want to see.

What do you want to see with Star Wars moving forward? What do/did you want Obi Wan to be? Not in a snide way am I asking this. I genuinely want to know what people want to see happen.
I'm kind of the opposite I guess. I love the OGT, but I want something new. I'm tired of the recycling and retelling of old tales. Mando gave me that. I was really hoping Rian Johnson's new "trilogy" would be happening sooner rather than later because I'm excited to see what other ideas are out there.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I mean, that's not what happened at all.

Your assessment of it comes off like those people who criticize Star Wars\Star Trek despite never watching an episode of the newer stuff, but just taking from hater reviews (like RLM)
But it is. I get it, there's a deeper thread with the Inquisitors, but there's ZERO reason we needed Jimmy Smits. There's no reason for a side mission to save Leia.

I'm hopeful moving forward because Ewan McGregor is an awesome actor and a great Kenobi, but the first two episodes didn't give me what I was hoping for.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I actually liked the sandpeople training in BOBF. I liked that they gave him a story for the unaccounted for time between hanging out in the Sarlacc and when he showed up in Mando.

Obi Wan is supposed to be in hiding. The empire is actively hunting Jedi. But he's still like...oh, ok I'll go do Jedi **** again. It wasn't believable, it was a massive stretch, and IMO it was corny as hell.

Not to be a jerk but your second part is wrong. He declined doing anything about Leia's kidnapping and refused to do it until Organa showed up literally in his house.

As for Boba, I wish he just stayed dead. Only thing I found interesting about that series was when Mando showed up again. I actually didn't even watch until then.

Reactions: CycloneErik

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
But it is. I get it, there's a deeper thread with the Inquisitors, but there's ZERO reason we needed Jimmy Smits. There's no reason for a side mission to save Leia.

I'm hopeful moving forward because Ewan McGregor is an awesome actor and a great Kenobi, but the first two episodes didn't give me what I was hoping for.

I guess then the question is, what would it take to get Kenobi out of hiding? I can't imagine it has anything would be able to do it other than Luke or Leia, and then we're right back in with the Skywalkers.

I'm with you though. I am probably the most excited about Mando and then maybe The Acolyte, something set hundreds of years before the Skywalkers.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

What else do you think Kenobi would go do during this period? Saving Luke or Leia is about the only thing that would make sense. Plus in A New Hope doesn't Leia refer to Kenobi as an old friend or something (it's been awhile since I've watched it)? This story makes that Statement make sense.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What I'm more unimpressed by is the cut and paste format that we've seen in all of these D+ shows. We meet our hero, our hero is down on their luck, someone comes and offers them an opportunity/mission. They complete the mission and the cycle starts over. Give me something new or original. Or ffs, give me something cannon for Kenobi. The first two felt half assed and only focused on fan service. I understand Kenobi has to have some Skywalker tie-ins...but every aspect of the show doesn't need to remind us that Obi Wan Kenobi knew Anakin and the rest of the Skywalker gang.

You are correct about the "cookie-cutter" nature of the content Disney creates. I've seen almost all of the Marvel and Star wars series's offerings that are on Disney Plus. They are all very shallow plots with a ton of filler.

The character arc in Kenobi for the female has already started the patten set up by several other Disney Plus Series. You just wait, Reva is going to end up "seeing the light and saving the day and or sacrafic herself" or, "realize she is the only person who can stop her and will sacrifice herself." It wouldn't shock me if Reva dies trying to save either Leia or Luke at the end of the series.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So picking nits here on the impact to cannon. In A New Hope, Leia asks Obi Wan for help referring to his help during the Clone Wars. But now that he has met Leia and reduced her in this series, wouldn't that have been mentioned in her pleas to Obi Wan?

I wish they had just left Leia out of it.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Not to be a jerk but your second part is wrong. He declined doing anything about Leia's kidnapping and refused to do it until Organa showed up literally in his house.

Funny how nobody in the galaxy can find Obi Wan. Yet, Obi Wan turns down a request from Bail, and he finds him in short order.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So picking nits here on the impact to cannon. In A New Hope, Leia asks Obi Wan for help referring to his help during the Clone Wars. But now that he has met Leia and reduced her in this series, wouldn't that have been mentioned in her pleas to Obi Wan?

I wish they had just left Leia out of it.

So far the series has gone WAY out of the way to make sure Obi Wan doesn't tell Leia his true name. Probably the only way they can and keep in canon.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I guess then the question is, what would it take to get Kenobi out of hiding? I can't imagine it has anything would be able to do it other than Luke or Leia, and then we're right back in with the Skywalkers.

I'm with you though. I am probably the most excited about Mando and then maybe The Acolyte, something set hundreds of years before the Skywalkers.
I'm really not sure, and I get it, the end of this story always leads back to Luke and it has to.

It just seems like fan service over and over and over again without any new ideas. Hopefully they can do something fun with the Inquisitors, but the Grand Inquisitor was killed in a surprise attack, so I'm not really sold on their Jedi abilities.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'm not here to argue and tell anyone they're wrong for liking or disliking Kenobi, the first two episodes just haven't grabbed me like I hoped they would.

How dare any of you question my fandom or loyalty to Star Wars. I've watched the damn films on VHS religiously since I could **** in a diaper. Star Wars is MY LIFE.

:jimlad: but in all seriousness, I am a huge SW fan and it's been great seeing the Mouse bring new material.

• Agree
  • Creative
Reactions: Aclone and AirWalke

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'm really not sure, and I get it, the end of this story always leads back to Luke and it has to.

It just seems like fan service over and over and over again without any new ideas. Hopefully they can do something fun with the Inquisitors, but the Grand Inquisitor was killed in a surprise attack, so I'm not really sold on their Jedi abilities.
The Grand Inquisitor is most likely not dead, or the canonicity of Rebels is now called into question as he was in that series and it occurs about 5 years after this, I believe, And that is ultimately the problem with prequels flashbacks, or gap stories. If you have a character that is known to survive to a later story, the danger to them is muted to non-existent. The only decent way to approach these stories is from an emotional or character building approach. Action is less powerful without danger.

The relative power level of Force users is all over the place throughout all of the SW franchise. They get shown as damned near superhuman at times and taken out as easily as a stormtrooper at others.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Grand Inquisitor is most likely not dead, or the canonicity of Rebels is now called into question as he was in that series and it occurs about 5 years after this, I believe, And that is ultimately the problem with prequels flashbacks, or gap stories. If you have a character that is known to survive to a later story, the danger to them is muted to non-existent. The only decent way to approach these stories is from an emotional or character building approach. Action is less powerful without danger.

Interesting that the Grand Inquisitor apparently survives a lightsaber to the chest, yet Qui-Gon didn't.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

The relative power level of Force users is all over the place throughout all of the SW franchise. They get shown as damned near superhuman at times and taken out as easily as a stormtrooper at others.

Is there a reason the title grand inquisitor can't pass onto someone else? That's not a snarky question, I actually don't know if that is possible.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Interesting that the Grand Inquisitor apparently survives a lightsaber to the chest, yet Qui-Gon didn't.
Perhaps differences in physiology of a human vs a Pau'an. Or just sci-fi not maintaining consistency. Happens a lot.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Is there a reason the title grand inquisitor can't pass onto someone else? That's not a snarky question, I actually don't know if that is possible.
It was said he is playing the same character as Rebels.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

The Inquisitors kind of suck. The GI basically fought to a standstill with like 14 year old Ezra Bridger.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Head cannon im going with the Grand Inquiz is just a title. and the current guy is dead, but they bring another guy with the proper head shape in to replace him. Then that one dies in Rebels.

Maybe they are just messed up clones of ol paps and they just use the rejects for something rather than throwing them away.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe they are just messed up clones of ol paps and they just use the rejects for something rather than throwing them away.

Any plot point borrowed from DS9 has my vote. I was rather found of Weyoun #4.

1654033746255.png

Help Support Us

Become a patron