Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Good to see Liam Neeson saying he would be on board to reprise his role of Qui-Gon if the opportunity arose. I personally would love to see that, as Qui-Gon was one of my favorites parts of the prequels. My love for him is also why I probably rate Phantom Menace significantly higher than most. However, while Liam obviously gave everything he had while in the movie, he clearly has been one of those actors since that simply did the part for the time and has since moved on. Somewhat similar to Harrison Ford, Liam has made it abundantly clear he isn't really a big Star Wars fan and hasn't really followed anything since, which is fine. However, unlike Harrison, it isn't like he has disparaged or made fun of the movies/shows or its fandom. Regardless, this is the first time I've seen him mention his willingness to return, which makes me kind of giddy that it could happen.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just rewatched Solo tonight. Followed by my first viewing of Attack of the Clones in years. Solo is miles ahead. I kind of wish they would just reshoot most of the prequel trilogy, but find a way to keep Ewan and Samuel L Jackson

I just want new Star Wars stuff completely unrelated to the skywalkers. The thing I'm probably most excited for out of the recently announced stuff is The Acolyte because it takes places hundreds of years before Luke.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I just want new Star Wars stuff completely unrelated to the skywalkers. The thing I'm probably most excited for out of the recently announced stuff is The Acolyte because it takes places hundreds of years before Luke.
That show really interests me too. The description says its a dark female centric story, which makes me wonder if its centered on the night sisters of dathomir. That could be a bit of a stretch, but it would fit the description.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That show really interests me too. The description says its a dark female centric story, which makes me wonder if its centered on the night sisters of dathomir. That could be a bit of a stretch, but it would fit the description.

made by the person who made Russian Doll on Netflix which is pretty dark

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

While I too was excited to see this, its worth noting that all the Dave Filoni's episodes he has directed so far are on-average bottom-half, if not bottom third of episodes I have liked so far. I do think he improved though from S1 to S2 in his directing, which is to be expected from a brand-new live-action director. With that said, at least he still has Jon Favreau there with him, which makes me more confident. Overall, I've found the best directed episodes of The Mandalorian so far to be from Deborah Chow, Favreau, Taika, and Peyton Reed. In fact, I was more excited to hear Chow was directing Obi-Wan than these two directing the Ashoka series.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
While I too was excited to see this, its worth noting that all the Dave Filoni's episodes he has directed so far are on-average bottom-half, if not bottom third of episodes I have liked so far. I do think he improved though from S1 to S2 in his directing, which is to be expected from a brand-new live-action director. With that said, at least he still has Jon Favreau there with him, which makes me more confident. Overall, I've found the best directed episodes of The Mandalorian so far to be from Deborah Chow, Favreau, Taika, and Peyton Reed. In fact, I was more excited to hear Chow was directing Obi-Wan than these two directing the Ashoka series.
Based on everything from the last two years that's come out I'm willing to take my chances with Filoni and Faveau.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would agree somewhat with his season 1 episodes, but I thought "The Jedi" from season 2 was excellent.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Rian Johnson's trilogy is still in the works:

Oy vey........ I was seriously hoping that had just quietly been cancelled. Disney is best just moving on from most all associated with the sequel trilogy. They have a lot of good things going for them now. No point in delving back into those controversies.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
No thanks.

You would think the feeling of needing to part ways would be mutual at this point. Star Wars is clearly better off not reminding people of the mistakes they made in the sequel trilogy, and Rian Johnson makes great orgiginal movies outside of Star Wars, so lets go make more of those. Seems pretty simple to me. Sign me up for watching any non-Star Wars Rian Johnson movie he produces. Knives Out was great.

Reactions: mfelske

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
You would think the feeling of needing to part ways would be mutual at this point. Star Wars is clearly better off not reminding people of the mistakes they made in the sequel trilogy, and Rian Johnson makes great orgiginal movies outside of Star Wars, so lets go make more of those. Seems pretty simple to me. Sign me up for watching any non-Star Wars Rian Johnson movie he produces. Knives Out was great.
I was thinking about this point yesterday: The Last Jedi isn't a bad movie in a filmmaking sense - it's probably the most artistic of the trilogy - it's just really polarizing in terms of the plot beats and narrative.

Disney+ also adds an interesting wrinkle into the mix: would you be on-board with a direct-to-Disney+ SW trilogy based on completely new characters and planets, but with Rian Johnson as director?

According to this article WandaVision reportedly costs $25 million per episode, which is a big-time MCU budget of $225 million for the entire series. The Mandalorian costs $15 million per episode/$120 million for the season. The Last Jedi cost $317 million with a known cast and various shooting location and set designs. What's the risk if Disney invested $150-$200 million for the first entry. Rian Johnson is given the chance to earn some good-will with SW fans and if he succeeds the remaining films could have theatrical launches.

Just a thought. The reality is likely that Johnson will earn a producer and maybe a co-writer credit and someone else handles directing duties.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Have a question regarding the Star Wars books and wasnt sure where else to ask. Wanting to jump in and start reading some of whats out there. where would be a good place to start?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Have a question regarding the Star Wars books and wasnt sure where else to ask. Wanting to jump in and start reading some of whats out there. where would be a good place to start?

What part of the Star Wars story arc appeals to you the most? Do you care if the stories are considered "official" by Disney/Lucasfilm or not? I'd like to send you the three Aftermath paperback novels by Chuck Wendig about events after the fall of the Empire after Return of the Jedi. I actually, as a bad parent, tried giving them to my son two years in a row for Christmas, so message me if you're interested.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I always recommend the Thrawn Triology (or Heir to the Empire) about the period after Jedi, where Grand Admiral Thrawn ends up leading the remnants of the Empire and Luke and the gang are running around.

Totally not canon now but it's still a lot of fun.