Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It's a weird feeling watching Star Wars turn from a film saga into a Star Trek type of world of 100s of episodes. I mean what's on the table right now alone will push that 100 episode mark.

The success of the Mandalorian (and to a lesser extent the success of the animated series) and the mixed bag of recent movies says it's probably the right move though.

Star Wars, Marvel Comics and the X-Files have always been my top nerd fandoms from a small child through my teen years and into adulthood, but I've also seen maybe 90% of Star Trek episodes across series and am more than a casual fan. I recently binged the five recent seasons of the 3 new Star Trek series...there were some high points, but this plan for Star Wars D+ series is on a COMPLETELY new level that TV and streaming have not seen before. Game of Thrones and Stranger Things may be the closest thing but this plan is even on a much grander scale than either of those more like if there were several series of those going at once.

The big question is if and when these series go into the future in a galaxy defining way rather than filling in gaps or feeling like side adventures. If years down the road there is a new Star Wars series beyond where we have been that defines the fate of the galaxy like the film episodes, when will that happen and will it feel the same as a Star Wars Episode movie? To be honest that's where Star Trek is stuck at, Picard series is the closest thing to going there in almost 20 years, everything else has been prequels, reboots, side stories and animated comedy.

I wouldn't discount some of the upcoming plans for DC as well with some upcoming in-universe/movie quality TV series like the Peacemaker, Gotham Central and Green Lantern series. I guess I'm not positive the Green Lantern series will for sure tie in with the DCEU, but I hope it will. Regardless, it does seem like WB does have futures plans to have more shows that tie in with the movies. We'll see. As for Star Trek, we'll just have to see what the future holds there now with the merger of Viacom and CBS to bring back together both the movie and TV side, as well as their upcoming reworked and rebranded Paramount+ network. If they can get their crap together, they have all the tools to do what Disney is doing with Star Wars now on their own platforms. One thing not to be discounted with Disney is their foresight and leadership as a company in order to get their crap together in the background to be able to do something as cool as what they are doing. With all the other companies, there has been instance after instance of poor leadership and stupid politics in the background causing all of them to trip over themselves. They all have leaders, but I'd take Bob Iger twenty times over any of them.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wouldn't discount some of the upcoming plans for DC as well with some upcoming in-universe/movie quality TV series like the Peacemaker, Gotham Central and Green Lantern series. I guess I'm not positive the Green Lantern series will for sure tie in with the DCEU, but I hope it will. Regardless, it does seem like WB does have futures plans to have more shows that tie in with the movies. We'll see. As for Star Trek, we'll just have to see what the future holds there now with the merger of Viacom and CBS to bring back together both the movie and TV side, as well as their upcoming reworked and rebranded Paramount+ network. If they can get their crap together, they have all the tools to do what Disney is doing with Star Wars now on their own platforms.

I'm doing zero work with Star Wars licenses now so I can totally nerd out without worrying about NDA issues (it also means I have zero special insight haha). I'm working on a lot of WB stuff...I have been REALLY excited about The Batman and the next Suicide Squad for almost two years now but I never really get into their episodic streaming/TV.

Picard is probably the closest these five seasons of streaming Trek has been to what Star Wars is clearly going to do. Discovery is trying to get to that in S3 but I just don't know about that show. These Star Wars series seem to be the perfect blend of old and new. Mandalorian is mostly new characters in incredibly familiar settings.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
My top 2 most anticipated upcoming Star Wars anything is without a doubt as follows:

1. Rogue Squadron with Patty Jenkins at the helm
2. Obi-Wan with Deborah Chow at the helm

I absolutely can't wait for the plethora of everything coming our way soon. Its absolutely nuts how much both MCU and Star Wars goodiness is coming up. With that said, for how big of a fan I am of both franchises, its actually the upcoming Star Wars lineup that has me most excited. I can't say that has been the case for a while now, but its true.

Reactions: Bader and 3GenClone

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The last 3 Mando episodes are awesome, sets up so much for this series and others to come. Mando is gonna save Star Wars after the debacle of episode 8 and 9.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The last 3 Mando episodes are awesome, sets up so much for this series and others to come. Mando is gonna save Star Wars after the debacle of episode 8 and 9.

Its absolutely killing me right now as I still refuse to watch any show week to week, which means that I always wait until the season ties up before I start semi-binging it by watching it about 1 episode per day. In the Mandalorian's case, I'm re-watching S1 as well and am on S1 Ep5 right now. Man, I can't wait to actually get to S2 to catch up with everyone else. I know I do it to myself, but in the end, the way I do it is a better viewing experience for me personally and allows me to be much fresher on all the details as I watch. I just forget too much of what happened in the previous weeks by only watching 1 episode per week.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Its absolutely killing me right now as I still refuse to watch any show week to week, which means that I always wait until the season ties up before I start semi-binging it by watching it about 1 episode per day. In the Mandalorian's case, I'm re-watching S1 as well and am on S1 Ep5 right now. Man, I can't wait to actually get to S2 to catch up with everyone else. I know I do it to myself, but in the end, the way I do it is a better viewing experience for me personally and allows me to be much fresher on the details of the series as I watch each episode. I just forget too much of what happened in the previous weeks by only watching 1 episode per week.
I love having a show to watch week to week. I look forward to a beer and Mando every Friday :)

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I totally get that and recognize why people do it. It also allows you to actually be a part of the pop culture conversation each week, which I obviously cannot and run around looking like this:

View attachment 79262
Yeah I get your approach too! It is just kind of fun and nostalgic to have an episode a week to watch for a really good show since pretty much everything is binged these days.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yeah I get your approach too! It is just kind of fun and nostalgic to have an episode a week to watch for a really good show since pretty much everything is binged these days.

I think the market swayed too much to the Netflix release everything at once model until it realized how much word of mouth marketing certain shows were missing out on by dropping it all at once. Sure, shows like Stranger things get talked about like crazy for that week after release, but it is just that, pretty much just a week. Compare that to the months of buzz shows like The Mandalorian drum up. Also, with the more streaming services that keep coming out, I truly believe that streamer hopping will become a really big thing. Shoot, I've always done it myself to a high level. The best way to combat that is by having new stuff nearly every week in order to keep people from unsubscribing. Sure, I'm disciplined where I still wait to binge, but with bigger franchises, most people ARE NOT as disciplined as me. In the end, I think there is a happy medium for both models to be used. However, I'd be shocked if even Netflix doesn't start doing a few series with week by week releases, even within the next 12 months.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
My wife and I enjoy the Friday pizza, beer, and mandalorian. I enjoy it like that, not sure what discipline has to do with it.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Another great Mandalorian episode today. Loved the Imperial troops saluting and celebrating Mando and Mayfield when they were trying to be inconspicuous :p

I’m not sure if it was formally announced or not but I have to believe the series is ending this season. Mando shows his face and Baby Yoda is starting to find his place. The next episode is going to be epic.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My wife and I enjoy the Friday pizza, beer, and mandalorian. I enjoy it like that, not sure what discipline has to do with it.

I've used Friday/Mando as pizza excuse more than once. Somehow it works compared to any other night.

Also with restaurants and bars closed, along with shortest days of the year, there's not a whole lot that can beat it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Have they declared the sequel trilogy as non-canonical yet...?

My own "machete" canon right now would be this:
Solo 7/10 (it's not the greatest thing ever but fun movie that doesn't diminish the other movies)
Rogue One 9/10
Original Trilogy 9/10, 10/10, 10/10, people who bag on RotJ are morons
Mando 9/10 (the worst mando episodes are better than below)

----- stuff I kind of enjoy but I'm not going to fight anybody who hate it
Animated series I can go either way on, mixed bag from great to overrated boring stuff
Ep III I can go either way on, good moments but lots of moments just as bad as I & II
Ep VII as a remake I can go either way on, it's very fun if you treat it like a remake
Ep IX is fun but a few cringy things

----- Stuff I hate or dislike
Ep I & II just bad movies no matter how many times I view them
Ep VIII - visually stunning but the plot is just so horrible, second worst plot after II

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
A whole lot of ground to cover in the season finale of The Mandalorian next week unless we are going to get a cliff hanger ending.

Reactions: simply1

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Another great Mandalorian episode today. Loved the Imperial troops saluting and celebrating Mando and Mayfield when they were trying to be inconspicuous :p

I’m not sure if it was formally announced or not but I have to believe the series is ending this season. Mando shows his face and Baby Yoda is starting to find his place. The next episode is going to be epic.
They have already announced season 3. It’s coming out around Christmas 2021.

Reactions: CysRage

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Solo 7/10 (it's not the greatest thing ever but fun movie that doesn't diminish the other movies)
Rogue One 9/10

Animated series I can go either way on, mixed bag from great to overrated boring stuff
Ep III I can go either way on, good moments but lots of moments just as bad as I & II
Ep VII as a remake I can go either way on, it's very fun if you treat it like a remake

Ep VIII - visually stunning but the plot is just so horrible, second worst plot after II

Agree almost completely here, except Episode II has to be in a class by itself at the bottom.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Rogue One 9/10

I've always found Solo to be an enjoyable movie, even though I believe Alden was miscast. With that said, I think it grows on me more and more over time.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
Just rewatched Solo tonight. Followed by my first viewing of Attack of the Clones in years. Solo is miles ahead. I kind of wish they would just reshoot most of the prequel trilogy, but find a way to keep Ewan and Samuel L Jackson

• Agree
Reactions: CysRage