Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
A brand-new Star Wars feature with acclaimed filmmaker @TaikaWaititi is in development. Get ready for an unforgettable ride!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Excited about the Ashoka one, figure out what she’s been up to after Rebels.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Definitely had Mandalorian designed to spin off a lot of content

Reactions: tman24

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

The directors list for The Mandalorian S2 was just released which includes Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Rick Famuyiwa, Carl Weathers, Peyton Reed, and Robert Rodriguez. Talk about another surplus of riches list of Directors. Sure, its a bummer not seeing both Deborah Chow and Taika Waititi on the list this time, but once you consider the other Star Wars projects they are doing instead of this, it is completely understandable (Obi-Wan for Chow, movie for Taika). Being replaced by Peyton Reed and Robert Rodriguez is hardly anything to sluff at either. The most interesting one is without a doubt Carl Weathers who is an actor in the series and hasn't directed much.

That's a pretty good list. Honestly, I'd probably give both Seth McFarland and Kevin Smith a shot at directing an episode. Those two guys obviously love the OT and I'm guessing they'd do a good job.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not sure Star Wars can pull off my expectations for what an involved series featuring Darth Vader would look like, but if what they did at the end of Rogue One is combined with the story telling of the Mandalorian...I'm here for it.

Vader won't likely be central to the series, but he is the central character to the entire SW universe so they are risking a bunch if they get it wrong.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 3GenClone

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
I’m about to piss myself from excitement. 1, because I’ve wanted a Star Wars movie in this kind of setting for a while now, and 2, because Abrams isn’t directing it.

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
I'm not sure Star Wars can pull off my expectations for what an involved series featuring Darth Vader would look like, but if what they did at the end of Rogue One is combined with the story telling of the Mandalorian...I'm here for it.

Vader won't likely be central to the series, but he is the central character to the entire SW universe so they are risking a bunch if they get it wrong.
I don’t know if they really will do much with the Skywalker saga anymore. A trilogy just featuring Vader would be interesting though.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm very excited about The Acolyte. Run by Leslye Hedlund (sp?) who made Russian Doll and taking place in the High Republic time period. Give me a talented person with a perspective in a place and time we haven't been please.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
I'm very excited about The Acolyte. Run by Leslye Hedlund (sp?) who made Russian Doll and taking place in the High Republic time period. Give me a talented person with a perspective in a place and time we haven't been please.
The Rangers of The Republic is going to be interesting.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The first High Republic book is supposed to drop January 5 so it was nice to see an announcement that Disney is starting to explore that era on TV. I’m hoping the Star Wars films (and video games!) will eventually pivot away from the Skywalker-era.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Rangers of The Republic is going to be interesting.

Agreed. I want to see some new characters and new timelines though. We know it can work because KoToR was so good and still captures people's imaginations.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's a weird feeling watching Star Wars turn from a film saga into a Star Trek type of world of 100s of episodes. I mean what's on the table right now alone will push that 100 episode mark.

The success of the Mandalorian (and to a lesser extent the success of the animated series) and the mixed bag of recent movies says it's probably the right move though.

Star Wars, Marvel Comics and the X-Files have always been my top nerd fandoms from a small child through my teen years and into adulthood, but I've also seen maybe 90% of Star Trek episodes across series and am more than a casual fan. I recently binged the five recent seasons of the 3 new Star Trek series...there were some high points, but this plan for Star Wars D+ series is on a COMPLETELY new level that TV and streaming have not seen before. Game of Thrones and Stranger Things may be the closest thing but this plan is even on a much grander scale than either of those more like if there were several series of those going at once.

The big question is if and when these series go into the future in a galaxy defining way rather than filling in gaps or feeling like side adventures. If years down the road there is a new Star Wars series beyond where we have been that defines the fate of the galaxy like the film episodes, when will that happen and will it feel the same as a Star Wars Episode movie? To be honest that's where Star Trek is stuck at, Picard series is the closest thing to going there in almost 20 years, everything else has been prequels, reboots, side stories and animated comedy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm blown away with everything they have coming. I'm sure there will be some duds in there but there's a lot of potential with what's coming. Middle School me is a little too excited about Rogue Squadron.

I think the quantity and series nature will make people throw less of a ****fit when something isn't great.

The Mandalorian episode average would definitely be around an A-, but when there is a B or a C nobody gives a crap. When there's an episode where something cheesy or unrealistic or overly coincidental even for Star Wars happens...nobody freaks out compared to when it's a movie.

I think Ewan McGregor heading up an Obi-Wan series with a decent director and writers is probably a can't-miss. The Ahsoka series probably close behind that since they already ran the pilot episode to good reviews in Mando. Andor will be a hit with hard core fans if they recreate the perfect Episode IV aesthetic from Rogue One regardless of what stories they tell.

Reactions: mramseyISU

Help Support Us

Become a patron