STANS Herbstreit column

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Thinking back to some of the more controversial years of the BCS if we had the playoff. We were deprived of some awesome matchups:

(1) Oklahoma vs. (4) Washington
(2) Florida St vs. (3) Miami

(1) Miami vs. (4) Oregon
(2) Nebraska vs. (3) Colorado

(1) USC vs. (4) Texas
(2) Oklahoma vs. (3) Auburn

(1) Auburn vs. (4) Stanford
(2) Oregon vs. (3) TCU

(1) LSU vs. (4) Stanford
(2) Alabama vs. (3) Oklahoma State

There's several other years you can do this what-if as well. And I'm sure you could go back even farther to some of those years where we had split national champs thanks to the pollsters.

think of the lift the B12 would have gotten from that? Maybe would have helped stave off realignment.

Reactions: agentbear

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There's several other years you can do this what-if as well. And I'm sure you could go back even farther to some of those years where we had split national champs thanks to the pollsters.

...and the Rose Bowl choosing "tradition" instead of participating in the Bowl Coalition/Bowl Alliance.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
KIrk is a very polished and affable elitist. He lives in Nashville, but probably hangs out with Tim McGraw and Faith Hill ******** about dumb rednecks they have to endure in Tennessee. Get the picture?
This is a dude who practiced fake crying in the mirror and premeditated to cry on national television because it would get him kudos and backslaps......or maybe someone is holding an Epstein/Podesta pedo orgy video over his head...but it is probably the former. This is not some teenage girl that did this....a grown man did this.......it certainly should raise some red flags.
Celebrities and politicians like himself have been known to rub a little pepper ingredient in their eyes to get all teary eyed and verklempt when they are on camera.....true story.

Reactions: usedcarguy

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
This was a great article. I was just talking to my wife the other day about how the media always tries to breakdown or talk about, “what’s wrong with Texas” or “what’s going on at Michigan”. How about let’s turn it into, “what is going right at Iowa State” and “here is why Indians is experiencing success”, etc...

Herbie is a big 10 and Ohio State apologist. He loves Ferentz. And to be fair he has given Campbell a lot of props in the past even this past weekend on Gameday.

But these guys like Herbstreit and Urban Meyer running their mouths about the “big time” programs constantly is over the top. Their arrogance is why people can’t stand these guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Creating a 4 team playoff was the right move, but it was a backwards step to reintroduce human bias into the process.

The BCS computers weren't perfect, but it was a fine method to rank teams by giving them the same unbiased treatment. The problem was always that they only allowed 2 teams to play for the title.

Keep the computer rankings, but take the top 4. Sofa king simple
Nah, if you're going to do a playoff and have "power 5 conferences" but only four spots, the system is flawed from the start. It hasn't happened yet and likely never will but what happens if USC, Bama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio State all go undefeated some year? I hope it happens just to get rid of the BS four team playoff and give everyone a chance

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This was a great article. I was just talking to my wife the other day about how the media always tries to breakdown or talk about, “what’s wrong with Texas” or “what’s going on at Michigan”. How about let’s turn it into, “what is going right at Iowa State” and “here is why Indians is experiencing success”, etc...

Herbie is a big 10 and Ohio State apologist. He loves Ferentz. And to be fair he has given Campbell a lot of props in the past even this past weekend on Gameday.

But these guys like Herbstreit and Urban Meyer running their mouths about the “big time” programs constantly is over the top. Their arrogance is why people can’t stand these guys.
How did your wife feel about it?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Absolutely. The only controversies in the BCS was 2 vs 3. Usually by the 4th team you couldn’t make an argument for them being in the championship game. They completely threw the baby out with the bath water due to BCS “controversies” none of which were any more controversial than the same teams always making the playoff.

Since we are stuck with the current system, I’m on board with 8 teams compromised of the champs of the power 5 conferences, top group of 5 team, and 2 at large.
Actually, in 2003, Oklahoma remained #1 in the BCS after losing the Big 12 Championship Game to K-State (35-7) - with SEC Champion LSU @ #2 and Pac-10 Champion USC at #3. LSU vs. USC would have been a more deserving match-up in the BCS Championship Game that season. So, the issue in 2003 was with #1 not #2 or #3.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I wonder now if people realize his tears regarding race were an act in the early fall. He is overexposed and his ego has been unchecked until now.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Nah, if you're going to do a playoff and have "power 5 conferences" but only four spots, the system is flawed from the start. It hasn't happened yet and likely never will but what happens if USC, Bama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio State all go undefeated some year? I hope it happens just to get rid of the BS four team playoff and give everyone a chance

That's a no-brainer. Alabama, Clemson, tOSU and the second place SEC team.

(Only half kidding)

What would be funnier would be if Clemson, Oklahoma, tOSU, and USC were all undefeated and the SEC champion (probably 'Bama) finished with a loss during the regular season. The contortions necessary to get 'Bama in with that scenario would be a sight to behold.

Reactions: agentbear

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Creating a 4 team playoff was the right move, but it was a backwards step to reintroduce human bias into the process.

The BCS computers weren't perfect, but it was a fine method to rank teams by giving them the same unbiased treatment. The problem was always that they only allowed 2 teams to play for the title.

Keep the computer rankings, but take the top 4. Sofa king simple

It was so maddening back in the BCS days to have situations like undefeated Auburn getting left out when there were three clearly deserving teams, and all these dumb as dirt radio and TV guys complaining about the "Computers" choosing the title game matchup, as if A. They were some ridiculous models picking Vanderbilt vs. Rutgers and B. As if changing it to humans could magically create some sort of game with three teams.

The BCS was much better than a committee. Other proof, in 2007 had it been a committee I can about guarantee it would've been an Ohio State-Michigan rematch in the title game instead of Florida. Everybody's "eye test" said OSU and Michigan were the best two teams, and the only people conceding it should be Florida is because it seemed like a bad idea to have OSU and Michigan turn right around and play again when they had a "defacto" National Championship game at the end of the season.

Lo and behold "the computers" set up Florida/OSU. And OSU didn't even belong on the same field. Florida just curb stomped them, and it was one of those games where it was clear if they played 10 times Florida was winning them all.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Herbie could have delivered his message better. I think he was saying nationally people only care about the CFP. I am a huge CFB fan and I even find myself disinterested in most bowl games other than the CFP, unless they involve teams I cheer for. Of course each teams individual fan base cares if their team is in a bowl game. However, nationally, most people could care less about non name-brand teams in any bowl game, unless it is the CFP. Say what you want, but Herb is probably the most influential and respected voice in CFB. If not him, who?

I 100% think he's right about the playoff. What a lot of people are objecting to is that he and his cohorts have been the ones driving that philosophy the whole time. Remember when ISU beat OU in 2017? It was Herbstreit saying he's gone and basically "sorry, I don't make the rules". Well, those national talking heads pretty much HAVE made the rules the whole time. And for him to complain about it now...totally hypocritical.

I have no problem with players opting out and doing what's best for themselves. They're not getting paid and it's their bodies and their future. Too bad, because it is fun to watch guys like Jamar Chase and Rashod Bateman. That said, I do agree with Herbstreet on the playoff. I think that it sucks. Honestly, I found that Cheez-It Bowl a few years ago with a billion interceptions to be more entertaining than all but a few of the playoff games. I just think that the CFP takes the fun out of a lot of the season. Once you are out of the running, you're pretty much a side note. And the same teams get in over and over again. I was all for a playoff, but now I think I'd rather have the old Plus One model...play your bowls, then the two best teams play in the NC game.

Reactions: Acylum

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Big 10: "We aren't playing this year."

Pac 12: "Sounds good to us. We aren't relevant anyway."

Remaining conferences: "Enjoy watching us play on Saturdays, suckers."

Big 10: "Wow, we f**cked up. We should start playing now. We are missing out on the fun."

Pac 12: "Agree with you, Big 10. Lets go! It's nice to get some cash rolling in, right Big 10?"

Big 10: "Holy crap, our conference teams really suck. This is embarrassing."

Pac 12: "We suck badly, too."

Remaining Conferences: "Don't you wish you would have started sooner, morons?"

Big 10: "Absolutely! We need to get our prized cow into the playoffs. We are entitled."

Remaining conferences: "Go home and wait for 2021. We played our games before Covid could ruin it."

Big 10: "Don't worry, we will sidestep our own self imposed restrictions and ask the almighty Barta and the biased media to let us in."

Bama: "Looking forward to it."

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
LOL. He doesn't care. He got caught being a partisan hack defending his alma and used the opportunity to deflect attention away.

It's not Michigan's fault that it's the 1st week of December and tOSU only has four games under it's belt. And what exactly would playing Michigan accomplish other than weakening their SOS even more?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Big 10: "Wow, we f**cked up. We should start playing now. We are missing out on the fun."

Pac 12: "Agree with you, Big 10. Lets go! It's nice to get some cash rolling in, right Big 10?"

Big 10: "Absolutely! We need to get our prized cow into the playoffs. We are entitled."

Remaining conferences: "Go home and wait for 2021. We played our games before Covid could ruin it."

Big 10: "Don't worry, we will sidestep our own self imposed restrictions and ask the almighty Barta and the biased media to let us in."

Is that you Stanz? Haha

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

Iowa State needs Ohio State to play in and win the B1G Championship Game to eliminate the possibility of two B1G teams in NY6 Bowls. Alabama vs. Ohio State in the Sugar sounds sweet to me! Iowa State vs. Texas A&M in the Cotton would be the cherry on top!

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Actually, in 2003, Oklahoma remained #1 in the BCS after losing the Big 12 Championship Game to K-State (35-7) - with SEC Champion LSU @ #2 and Pac-10 Champion USC at #3. LSU vs. USC would have been a more deserving match-up in the BCS Championship Game that season. So, the issue in 2003 was with #1 not #2 or #3.

But after Oklahoma lost, LSU, Oklahoma and USC were all one loss teams, so I'm not sure that holds water. USC also lost to a 8-6 Cal team, Oklahoma was Snyder'd. It was the flaw in inviting only 2 teams. 4 is better, but I think has some of the same problems considering lack of scheduling equity and very little regular season interconference play.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
But after Oklahoma lost, LSU, Oklahoma and USC were all one loss teams, so I'm not sure that holds water. USC also lost to a 8-6 Cal team, Oklahoma was Snyder'd. It was the flaw in inviting only 2 teams. 4 is better, but I think has some of the same problems considering lack of scheduling equity and very little regular season interconference play.
That's true, but LSU was the SEC Champion, USC was the Pac-12 Champion, and Oklahoma was not the Big 12 Champion. I understand the numbers of why OU remained #01 in the BCS rankings mathematically. Just saying that it wasn't a clean year. The fact that OU lost in the Sugar to LSU didn't help either.