STANS Herbstreit column

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I disagree with Stans on this " Now, I will give Herbstreit his props for noting the season at Iowa. Even as a writer for Cyclone Fanatic, I can admit what the Hawkeyes have done this season is impressive when you consider everything that went on in Iowa City over the summer"

Impressive? Iowa has beaten NOBODY and lost to Purdue!!!! Oh yeah I'm pretty impressed. To quote Coach McCarney "Are you shittin me?"
Yeah so impressive Herbie thinks a big 10 team beating other terrible big 10 teams is a great story.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Face it folks, the whole CFP system is rigged and we saw it the first year when TCU got screwed with the magic 13th data point. The committee wants few rules so they can make it up each year, and chose the teams that they want into the tournament. Teams like Cincinnati and BYU have no chance of getting in, under the current system. Until we move from 4 to at least an 8 team playoff, we are playing in the CFP invitational.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I disagree with Stans on this " Now, I will give Herbstreit his props for noting the season at Iowa. Even as a writer for Cyclone Fanatic, I can admit what the Hawkeyes have done this season is impressive when you consider everything that went on in Iowa City over the summer"

Impressive? Iowa has beaten NOBODY and lost to Purdue!!!! Oh yeah I'm pretty impressed. To quote Coach McCarney "Are you shittin me?"
Sure, but they have beat those four ****** teams, lost to a ****** one without its best player, and came close to another decent team all while weathering a storm they created themselves.

Truly a great story.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Iowa ******* sucks. They beat 4 teams with a combined record of 6-15. There is no special story there, at the end of the day, Iowa still had a racism scandal in their program. Real world beaters...
It’ll be ok. Perhaps they will *gasp* crap the bed and get embarrassed in their bowl game. Because that NEVER happens....

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
During the interview on Wednesday, Herbstreit did note the Iowa Hawkeyes, who started the season 0-2 following a tumultuous offseason and have since gone on to win four-straight games.
“To me, that’s one of the great stories of college football and we live in this era of, ‘Does it have anything to do with the playoff? Nope, OK, who cares.’ And if that’s the world we’re going to live in in college football, that’s like March Madness,” he said. “If you’re in March Madness, fill out the bracket and we’re gonna get excited. But do you care about the NIT? no, unless it’s maybe your school"
WTF!
That's one of the great stories of college football?
Those pecker heads just can't get enough love.
4 wins against teams with losing records is impressive stuff, apparently.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The committee/media (they are controlled by the same people) have dumbed the sport down to where only a handful of teams matter. tOSU is the perfect example of that this season. Even before they started playing, they were a top 5 team. As soon as OU lost to K State, all Urban and the other members of the media could talk about was how the big 12 was done and started campaigning for the buckeyes to be a cfp team. Most teams, they look for reasons why they shouldn't put them in the cfp, with SEC teams/clemson/tosu, they are always talking about why they should be in. They don't really even try to hide it.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY and NWICY

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Face it folks, the whole CFP system is rigged and we saw it the first year when TCU got screwed with the magic 13th data point. The committee wants few rules so they can make it up each year, and chose the teams that they want into the tournament. Teams like Cincinnati and BYU have no chance of getting in, under the current system. Until we move from 4 to at least an 8 team playoff, we are playing in the CFP invitational.

What I keep coming back to, is in what other sport at any level, is a whole set of teams literally have no shot at ever playing for a title. All levels of football, basketball, etc have a shot to win a national title. FBS only power 5 schools do. Group of 5 literally can only win their conference then a meaningless bowl game. FBS is the most rigged sports system in existence. And as we are seeing this year, if you have a blue blood brand, you are automatically qualified to the playoff playing less games than other teams. What a joke

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It’ll be ok. Perhaps they will *gasp* crap the bed and get embarrassed in their bowl game. Because that NEVER happens....
Iowa is terrible and nothing they've done this season should impress anyone.

In regards to Stanz's article, I guess I don't understand the outrage. Nothing Kirk says is untrue. The 4 team playoff system is broken, but that is what we have in place to crown the ultimate champ, and ultimately it doesn't matter what system is in place. College football is and always will be a battle of the have's vs the have nots and on a national level, people are only going to care about the have's.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think you took too literally what he said, and missed what he was trying to say.

He’s actually criticizing the quitters like Bateman at Minnesota and Cosmi at Texas, who can be bothered to even finish out the regular season. They aren’t even using the excuse of “opting out of a bowl game”, they’re just plain quitting in the middle of the stream.

I’m fine with Herbstreit—or anyone else—criticizing those decisions.
Hence the biggest reason for not wanting 5 star athletes with 5 star egos. Give me a 4 star who'll work his butt off over a 5 star ego any day.

Reactions: dirtyninety

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

They’ve overcome the great adversity of continuing to sweep racism from the program’s coaching staff under the rug. They should get a Disney movie for that.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Iowa is terrible and nothing they've done this season should impress anyone.

In regards to Stanz's article, I guess I don't understand the outrage. Nothing Kirk says is untrue. The 4 team playoff system is broken, but that is what we have in place to crown the ultimate champ, and ultimately it doesn't matter what system is in place. College football is and always will be a battle of the have's vs the have nots and on a national level, people are only going to care about the have's.
I gathered that the main frustration is how hypocritical it is for the national media to say that it is bad that college football is going in the direction where only 6-7 teams matter but then give those same teams 99% of their coverage time.

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
Herbie could have delivered his message better. I think he was saying nationally people only care about the CFP. I am a huge CFB fan and I even find myself disinterested in most bowl games other than the CFP, unless they involve teams I cheer for. Of course each teams individual fan base cares if their team is in a bowl game. However, nationally, most people could care less about non name-brand teams in any bowl game, unless it is the CFP. Say what you want, but Herb is probably the most influential and respected voice in CFB. If not him, who?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
The big problem is everything comes down to money. Those big programs have the most fans, so it's them first and everyone else second. That's also why you had to see Herbstreit apologize, because his comments will cost those who put him on air to lose money. The playoff committee needs to be gone and we need to go to computers like the BCS. Take egos out of this **** and you have a great system.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So he is mad about players planning for their future? Guys like Cosmi and Bateman are opting out because they don't benefit from playing any more games. The scouts and evaluator have seen them and are already projecting them high in next year's NFL draft. If they were to play out the remainder of the season, they risk injury that could derail their NFL careers.

A good example is Matt Barkley. After his junior year, he was projected as an early 1st round pick. Instead he stuck around for his senior year, got hurt midway through the season, and ended up getting drafted in the 4th round. That is the difference between a $16million contract and a $600k contract.

Now on the flip side of that, what do these players get for finishing up their season? Nothing really. They aren't get paid either way so it's not like they are losing out on a salary. And the education that everyone touts is still available to them. They are still able to go to classes while preparing for the draft.

You can call them quitters, but they are just following what is in their own best financial interest.
It goes back to the debate that has been had on commitment. They committed to play this season. There are a lot of people that find that extremely distasteful and poor morals.

I can’t and won’t blame them for looking out for their financial interests. That said I’d be pissed if I was a teammate. Commitments are made for the year and without extenuating circumstances like a nagging injury or personal issues you should see your commitment through.

Reactions: Sighclone Fan

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I gathered that the main frustration is how hypocritical it is for the national media to say that it is bad that college football is going in the direction where only 6-7 teams matter but then give those same teams 99% of their coverage time.
I guess I agree with that. Still, can't expect pretty boy Herbie to lash out against the guys who write his paychecks too much

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
They need to bring computers and stats back to factor into the rankings. Not the eye test.

Reactions: WalkingCY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Herbstreit: "Why do people only care about the thing we talk about 90% of the time?"

It's a mystery.
Herbstreit: "People don't really care about the other 10% we talk about anyway."

Haha. Herbstreit doesn't have a clue. Talk about Rose-colored glasses! @Stanz51 really called him out in his article and is absolutely right.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Maybe Herbs just got us mixed up again with the hawks. Serious possibility...

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I think you took too literally what he said, and missed what he was trying to say.

He’s actually criticizing the quitters like Bateman at Minnesota and Cosmi at Texas, who can be bothered to even finish out the regular season. They aren’t even using the excuse of “opting out of a bowl game”, they’re just plain quitting in the middle of the stream.

I’m fine with Herbstreit—or anyone else—criticizing those decisions.

That’s what I took too. But I hold it against him for shitting on us. ISU football should be a feel good national story. 1912 was a long time ago. All they can talk about is Matt Campbell moving on. **** him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron