STANS Herbstreit column

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
Applause to Stanz for this write up. A buddy of mine and I were talking about this exact thing after the CFP show.
Who cares? WHO CARES? I can point you to a whole hell of a lot of ISU fans and family who care. And as Stanz said....not to mention the boys on the field.

Of course every team wants to play in the CFP.......but I hate that getting to the CFP is the narrative the media touts as the one and only.......

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Applause to Stanz for this write up. A buddy of mine and I were talking about this exact thing after the CFP show.
Who cares? WHO CARES? I can point you to a whole hell of a lot of ISU fans and family who care. And as Stanz said....not to mention the boys on the field.

Of course every team wants to play in the CFP.......but I hate that getting to the CFP is the narrative the media touts as the one and only.......

Kirk's hot take only demonstrates how little he cares about Iowa State football (or Washington or Indiana or N'western or Coastal or UL-L or BYU or Cincy, etc.)...

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I don't see why leaving early for the NFL is a bad thing. If I am a NFL prospect and my team goes to the toilet bowl then I am out and next man in. It isn't like there is a huge percentage of NFL prospects available anyway. It is fun to see the next guy come in and and compete like Dekkers or Brock for example.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
At nine we have 4 SEC, 2 ACC(sort of) and two teams from Ohio ahead of us. We all know they'll find a way to slide tOSU in. This year it really doesn't matter ISU wise. Our next step is Big XII title.

That said the more they win the remainder of the season the better shape we're in next year for a legitimate shot.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Couldn't care less about CFP. Have never watched play-offs or the actual game other than check scores.

But I'll watch each and every undercard bowl game because those kids are more playing for the joy of the game and not an arbitrary national championship played by programs with budgets that put ours to shame. Something pure about watching a kid fly around on the football team for his 6 win team laying it all out there.

As for Herbie - I agree with his take on losing the sport. I'd like to tell him to look in a mirror, but he strikes me as a guy that looks at himself a lot to begin with. I think he probably fails at the introspection and reflection parts though...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
He really stepped in it with the Michigan is looking for a way out stuff.

Reactions: Ingynow

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think you took too literally what he said, and missed what he was trying to say.

Why does it even matter, who cares? Let’s just opt out, let’s get ready for the NFL.

He’s actually criticizing the quitters like Bateman at Minnesota and Cosmi at Texas, who can be bothered to even finish out the regular season. They aren’t even using the excuse of “opting out of a bowl game”, they’re just plain quitting in the middle of the stream.

I’m fine with Herbstreit—or anyone else—criticizing those decisions.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
During the interview on Wednesday, Herbstreit did note the Iowa Hawkeyes, who started the season 0-2 following a tumultuous offseason and have since gone on to win four-straight games.
“To me, that’s one of the great stories of college football and we live in this era of, ‘Does it have anything to do with the playoff? Nope, OK, who cares.’ And if that’s the world we’re going to live in in college football, that’s like March Madness,” he said. “If you’re in March Madness, fill out the bracket and we’re gonna get excited. But do you care about the NIT? no, unless it’s maybe your school"
WTF!
That's one of the great stories of college football?
Those pecker heads just can't get enough love.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
During the interview on Wednesday, Herbstreit did note the Iowa Hawkeyes, who started the season 0-2 following a tumultuous offseason and have since gone on to win four-straight games.
“To me, that’s one of the great stories of college football and we live in this era of, ‘Does it have anything to do with the playoff? Nope, OK, who cares.’ And if that’s the world we’re going to live in in college football, that’s like March Madness,” he said. “If you’re in March Madness, fill out the bracket and we’re gonna get excited. But do you care about the NIT? no, unless it’s maybe your school"
WTF!

Exactly. We lose to UL to start and now have all but won the Big 12 for the first time in 108 years. No story there other than because we lost we suck and so does the entire Big 12 conference right Nerdstreit? Oh I guess because our coach isn't embroiled in controversy somehow makes what we have done less than a great story? He is trying to be so down to earth reasonable now because his nipple(tOSU) and the conference they are in are drying up and he can't stand it so let's sit back, create a narrative, project it on the entire country, scratch our heads and think why. What a tool!

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Sorry to derail the thread but here's a somewhat relevant link

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
What do you expect out of Herbstreit? After all, this is the guy who ranked Penn State coach James Franklin as having the seventh best coaching performance last week because they finally won a game. ONE game. They are now 1-5. They went into the year ranked No. 8. He doesn't deserve to be on anyone's list of top coaches this year, if ever.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
WTF!

Was he fighting back tears when he said this?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I disagree with Stans on this " Now, I will give Herbstreit his props for noting the season at Iowa. Even as a writer for Cyclone Fanatic, I can admit what the Hawkeyes have done this season is impressive when you consider everything that went on in Iowa City over the summer"

Impressive? Iowa has beaten NOBODY and lost to Purdue!!!! Oh yeah I'm pretty impressed. To quote Coach McCarney "Are you shittin me?"

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think you took too literally what he said, and missed what he was trying to say.

He’s actually criticizing the quitters like Bateman at Minnesota and Cosmi at Texas, who can be bothered to even finish out the regular season. They aren’t even using the excuse of “opting out of a bowl game”, they’re just plain quitting in the middle of the stream.

I’m fine with Herbstreit—or anyone else—criticizing those decisions.
So he is mad about players planning for their future? Guys like Cosmi and Bateman are opting out because they don't benefit from playing any more games. The scouts and evaluator have seen them and are already projecting them high in next year's NFL draft. If they were to play out the remainder of the season, they risk injury that could derail their NFL careers.

A good example is Matt Barkley. After his junior year, he was projected as an early 1st round pick. Instead he stuck around for his senior year, got hurt midway through the season, and ended up getting drafted in the 4th round. That is the difference between a $16million contract and a $600k contract.

Now on the flip side of that, what do these players get for finishing up their season? Nothing really. They aren't get paid either way so it's not like they are losing out on a salary. And the education that everyone touts is still available to them. They are still able to go to classes while preparing for the draft.

You can call them quitters, but they are just following what is in their own best financial interest.

• Sad
Reactions: dirtyninety

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron