Social Distancing

Should Parents Let Their Kids Hang Out With Friends During This "Break"?

• Yes

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 125 66.1%
  • Maybe Just 1 Friend

Votes: 37 19.6%

• Total voters

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
I would really like to know more about what comes after having the virus. If they are no longer carrying it, they could become the heroes of the next wave because they can provide care without being at risk. For now, it is still a big question mark.

As of this evening, 6 of 22 individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 in Johnson County have recovered with no new cases today. It won’t last, but good to celebrate for the moment.

My dad is a physician, my sister a Trauma 1 nurse, and brother in-law a third year med student. We FaceTimed my dad and mom today and his view is totally different than last Friday. This is serious. My old man is a Mayo doc who 7 days ago was somewhat indifferent about this all.

With that said, we are approaching more difficult days but we will return to normal. This isn’t the Battle of Britain, the enemy has no face. We have a patterned method to beat this, and to return to normal life. Distance, don’t panic, and don’t hoard toilet paper or baby wipes.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
There is something missing from the calls for social distancing, namely, how long? It seems that most experts are saying it is just a matter of time until most of us are exposed and the virus works its way through just about everyone. Is there an orderly way to "expose" people and get them on the other side of the vulnerability?

And I don't ask this as a parent who just wants his kids to go outside and play.

My wife has Stage IV lung cancer, so I view everything I touch and everyone I meet as touching and breathing on her. I'll stay on lock-down for years if necessary. However, I'm thinking seriously about who we know who is likely to be exposed (friends in the medical profession, go on cruises, etc.), who might get the virus early, and then be available to help with her care once the virus has worked through them. Right now we are keeping almost everyone away from her, including lots of people who care deeply for her and "get it" when it comes to providing support.

If all she has is me 24/7, she will soon have a case of Cycskavirus that could be life-threatening for me!

At some point, we will talk with her oncologist about it, but for now I'm just wondering about the plan beyond the immediate panic and isolation. Getting Coronavirus under control must mean more than preventing its spread. It must also address management of its spread as it works its way through society.

P.S. She is doing well, not great, but okay. And she is blowing away all the horrible stats that go along with her diagnosis. 2-1/2 years and going strong thanks to "integrative oncology" that supports overall health, not just attacks cancer.
You've been in my thoughts.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cycsk

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What??? I'm all for everything being sanitized. My point was it's going to be extremely difficult to wipe down all of the equipment your kids will touch. All it takes is coming into one area that's infected, your child touches their face or mouth and then it's too late. That's all I'm saying.

Where u get off thinking I'm against all these precautionary measures is beyond me. Seems like you are missing my point.

I stated that in lieu of that at least wash your child’s hand and face. Before and after playing. Maintain social distance. Play with your child yourself and don’t let the kids just play in the park with others and have lots of social contact. It is going to take extra effort. No doubt. We are dealing with a pandemic virus for which there is no cure. And no cure on the near horizon. And I seriously think we are in the new normal for at least a couple of months and longer.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Right now we've got our kids on lockdown but it's a week to week sort of thing. For the time being it's better safe than sorry. We'll see what the world looks like next Saturday and go from there.

Reactions: adjl and LindenCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thinking of taking the old '87 924S out for a recreational drive. Sunny and dry pavement and need to burn up some of the old gasoline in it. Just me and my sunglasses so totes social distancing. And, supposed to snow tonight so it's like a limited time opportunity, not to be wasted.

Reactions: Stormin

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
We've been isolating our family for almost a week and a half now. Limited trips to the store and no visitors. I haven't left the house other than to go on occasional walks with the kids to get some fresh air. I'd like this to end ASAP just like everyone else, and it is extremely frustrating that so many people aren't taking it seriously. I have a coworker who had a spring break trip planned to the east coast, but everything was gonna be closed, so he cancelled and booked a trip to the west coast instead. The results of the decisions were making today will take weeks to realize. It's not good enough to wait until it seems like it's getting bad to change your behavior. The longer everyone waits, the more ****** we're all going to be.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've been keeping to the under 10 rule. We've still been hanging with people. Before anybody goes off on this, it's exactly what has been recommended by the government and is right in line with articles I've read in the NYT.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've been keeping to the under 10 rule. We've still been hanging with people. Before anybody goes off on this, it's exactly what has been recommended by the government and is right in line with articles I've read in the NYT.

Well hopefully nobody in your groups have been sick.

Talking to my dad yesterday made me wish he wouldn't tell me what he's been up to; he's cut back a bit but seemed pretty undeterred by the idea that socializing in any way is high risk.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I just wish people would realize that this 10 person limit isn't for fun. It's for if you have to go into a job, etc. If you have NO good reason to be around 10 people then you shouldn't.

Again, the sooner everyone really hunkers down, the sooner we can all hang out with whoever we want.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I just wish people would realize that this 10 person limit isn't for fun. It's for if you have to go into a job, etc. If you have NO good reason to be around 10 people then you shouldn't.

Again, the sooner everyone really hunkers down, the sooner we can all hang out with whoever we want.

This is where social media and stupid people make a terrible combination. I have an aunt who is a miserable human being. She's also a prominent FB poster of political stuff and anything that will promote her agenda. She's posting crap alongside her gathering of idiot friends saying how they're following the rules with "confirmation" of how she's doing so because it is less than 10 people, they'll "all under quarantine" and other crap, and then she'll post a tweet or FB post that validates her assertions.

Never mind that it's from a quack or a nobody. She found it on social media so she's doing it right.

Her gatherings are usually just 4-6 people of similar ilk that sit around and gossip about everyone. Must be an essential business or something.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Our kids have been outside a lot this past weekend. I did pick another kid up and we went and practiced for baseball. They still need social interaction vs just phones and physical activity. It’s under ten so I see nothing wrong with this.

Because anyone under 10 is immune?

• Funny
Reactions: cyson

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Because anyone under 10 is immune?
I never said this but it’s a guideline. I’m also in sales and I have to work so that’s been really interesting. Been appointments only for the most part vs cold calling. I deal with Ag.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I never said this but it’s a guideline. I’m also in sales and I have to work so that’s been really interesting. Been appointments only for the most part vs cold calling. I deal with Ag.

So you could be getting it from work, giving it your own kids, who could be giving it someone else's kids, who could give it to other people.

Or someone else's kids could give it to you, and you could spread it at work.

The little smidge of hope I get occasionally just keeps getting squashed.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is where social media and stupid people make a terrible combination. I have an aunt who is a miserable human being. She's also a prominent FB poster of political stuff and anything that will promote her agenda. She's posting crap alongside her gathering of idiot friends saying how they're following the rules with "confirmation" of how she's doing so because it is less than 10 people, they'll "all under quarantine" and other crap, and then she'll post a tweet or FB post that validates her assertions.

Never mind that it's from a quack or a nobody. She found it on social media so she's doing it right.

Her gatherings are usually just 4-6 people of similar ilk that sit around and gossip about everyone. Must be an essential business or something.

Just as long as it is the same 4-6 people Everytime and that's all they do, I don't see an issue. But if it's 4-5 people today and a different 4-5 people tomorrow then it'll balloon pretty quick.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron