So.....

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Lol, have fun being disappointed then I guess. I’ll be the guy over here being satisfied with having good seasons regardless of beating Iowa or not.
No…that should be our standard and our goal. Being ‘satisfied’…I imagine that’s a very satisfying standard to live by. So much material here.
This is what’s wrong with too many of our fans: satisfied to win 6 games and go to a mediocre bowl. Satisfied to win moral victories like ‘we almost won’ or ‘we played really good’.
You play the game to win. You play to beat your rival- anything else should be very unsatisfying for any ‘true’ fan who understands competitive athletics.

• Funny
Reactions: I@ST1 and aauummm

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No…that should be our standard and our goal. Being ‘satisfied’…I imagine that’s a very satisfying standard to live by. So much material here.
This is what’s wrong with too many of our fans: satisfied to win 6 games and go to a mediocre bowl. Satisfied to win moral victories like ‘we almost won’ or ‘we played really good’.
You play the game to win. You play to beat your rival- anything else should be very unsatisfying for any ‘true’ fan who understands competitive athletics.
Yes, you play to win every game whether it’s Iowa or Texas or Kansas st. If you and @isuno1fan want to put the Iowa game on a pedestal go for it. It’s a game we should want to win just because we should want to win all of them, not because we need to be seen as equals to Iowa.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
Yes, you play to win every game whether it’s Iowa or Texas or Kansas st. If you and @isuno1fan want to put the Iowa game on a pedestal go for it. It’s a game we should want to win just because we should want to win all of them, not because we need to be seen as equals to Iowa.
Point taken- all games are important. But accepting second-tier status to your rival is unacceptable. You and no other Cyclone fan should accept second-best with our rival.

We want to win all games and any loss hurts, regardless of the opponent. However, these guys are in our backyard. They are the primary competition for local recruits. Their fans are the fans you see at work, at the store, at family gatherings. Bragging rights matter. Winning this game is more important than beating a K-State or WVU every year. Winning the battle for the Kayden Proctors of the world matter- and that’s done by beating your rival regularly. You just don’t seem to get it and that’s sad you are willing to take a backseat to your rival.

• Agree
Reactions: I@ST1 and isuno1fan

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Point taken- all games are important. But accepting second-tier status to your rival is unacceptable. You and no other Cyclone fan should accept second-best with our rival.

We want to win all games and any loss hurts, regardless of the opponent. However, these guys are in our backyard. They are the primary competition for local recruits. Their fans are the fans you see at work, at the store, at family gatherings. Bragging rights matter. Winning this game is more important than beating a K-State or WVU every year. Winning the battle for the Kayden Proctors of the world matter- and that’s done by beating your rival regularly. You just don’t seem to get it and that’s sad you are willing to take a backseat to your rival.
It sounds like you take the rivalry very seriously. If this Kayden Proctor person bases their choice on who wins this game then so be it. Unless you think the coaches aren't doing everything they can to win the Iowa game I'm not sure what you want? If we're winning games that aren't Iowa do you want people fired?

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and BCClone

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
It sounds like you take the rivalry very seriously. If this Kayden Proctor person bases their choice on who wins this game then so be it. Unless you think the coaches aren't doing everything they can to win the Iowa game I'm not sure what you want? If we're winning games that aren't Iowa do you want people fired?
Shame you don’t understand- players like Kayden Proctor are what takes us to the next level.

I think you and I are done here. This was a very unsatisfying exchange.

• Dumb
Reactions: aauummm

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Now that the Iowa game is in the books, the season is officially over for Tornado. Back to watching highlight tapes of the glory McCarney years.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times

I haven't lived in Iowa since I graduated from ISU over 20 years ago, so I can't really relate to your situation, but if bragging rights over a college football game have any effect on your life besides maybe a week or two every Fall, then you may want to look at moving away. I sleep like a baby and have had one "go hawks" thrown at me in 20 years and that was a few weeks ago in Cincinnati, OH of all places.

And if you are seeing hawk fans at family gatherings, even God can't help you with that.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I haven't lived in Iowa since I graduated from ISU over 20 years ago, so I can't really relate to your situation, but if bragging rights over a college football game have any effect on your life besides maybe a week or two every Fall, then you may want to look at moving away. I sleep like a baby and have had one "go hawks" thrown at me in 20 years and that was a few weeks ago in Cincinnati, OH of all places.

And if you are seeing hawk fans at family gatherings, even God can't help you with that.
Yeah, my family doesn’t have a Hawkeye at all in it and there are many different colleges in the family. One consistency is we all think Hawkeye fans are insufferable.

• Agree
Reactions: Candide and JM4CY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I get it and again generally agree. My only point is you have to beat your rival occasionally in the larger scope or you won't be considered peers at the same level. Feel free to disagree, but if you do, you can't gripe when the local and natl pundits downplay ISU as a result. Can't have it both ways.

I understand and we can run in circles with this all day I am sure. You think had they beat Iowa yesterday the pundits would all of a sudden throw up their hands and say...."I wasn't sure about ISU even though they beat OU and UT. But now they beat Iowa......I'm a believer"? If so, you don't know the pundits, and are giving Iowa way too much credit. If they held that much juice amongst the "peers".....the SEC would have told OU and UT to hit the bricks......we want Iowa. We are already beating the big boys and getting no credit. Beating Iowa isn't going to change that.

And this bloodlust for Iowa IMO needs to be focused on conference opponents. Would you rather be in December 3-9 but having beat Iowa in September.......or 9-3 having lost to Iowa in September but playing in the CCG for conference hardware? The CY/Hawk trophy is nice.....but come on. Give me the 9 win seasons and a chance for conference hardware 6 days and twice on Sunday. The icing on the cake would be beating Iowa. Would losing to UNI but beating Iowa somehow make the season better? Like I said.....let this obsession with Iowa go.

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
If Proctor stays in state he'll be a Cyclone. He wouldn't play for Kirk and Brian Ferentz and I have that on good authority
I hope that’s true. Can you imagine what CMC could do with some elite players?

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
I understand and we can run in circles with this all day I am sure. You think had they beat Iowa yesterday the pundits would all of a sudden throw up their hands and say...."I wasn't sure about ISU even though they beat OU and UT. But now they beat Iowa......I'm a believer"? If so, you don't know the pundits, and are giving Iowa way too much credit. If they held that much juice amongst the "peers".....the SEC would have told OU and UT to hit the bricks......we want Iowa. We are already beating the big boys and getting no credit. Beating Iowa isn't going to change that.

And this bloodlust for Iowa IMO needs to be focused on conference opponents. Would you rather be in December 3-9 but having beat Iowa in September.......or 9-3 having lost to Iowa in September but playing in the CCG for conference hardware? The CY/Hawk trophy is nice.....but come on. Give me the 9 win seasons and a chance for conference hardware 6 days and twice on Sunday. The icing on the cake would be beating Iowa. Would losing to UNI but beating Iowa somehow make the season better? Like I said.....let this obsession with Iowa go.
It’s not an obsession with the toe…I just think of it as if we made Chevys. Let’s say every year we’re outselling Honda and Toyota, but getting crushed by Ford. There’d be some people doing everything they could to catch Ford. It wouldn’t be a bunch of ‘well, at least we’re beating Honda and Toyota’. They’d figure it out and win in their backyard too…not accept a backseat.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Let’s keep the wrestling discussion out of this thread for obvious reasons.

In men’s basketball, we will probably right that ship soon but remember that you have at least one Iowa player that schedules his medical red shirt around the Iowa State game. So, they really do have the Super Bowl thing going there. I prefer to call it Finals Game 7.

In football, it will continue to be tough until Ferentz and his staff move on. They really have things dialed in the last 5 years or so with their “program” even though it raises a lot of ethical questions. I think after Ferentz hands the reigns to Brian and the DC retires, we may see a significant shift.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron