So much for the triple option

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I guess if I were a GT fan and admittedly I am NOT...I would say the following to the isu fans who are disappointed in an eiu win.

Boys here at tech we did NOT LOSE to Iowa at home by 32 points...We just lost by 14 in a bcs bowl!!!!

See there you are a rebuttal from a pseudo tech fan!!!!:biglaugh:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
For a guy running an offensive scheme very different than what his predecessor ran, I think Paul Johnson is doing a great job, BCS bowl in second year is great any way you slice it. Once he gets in a couple more recruiting classes of the types of players he wants the story may be different.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Pains me to say it, but Iowa's front 7 is possibly the best in the country, mainly their D-Line. They're hardly out of position & play very smart and within themselves. Last night Iowa's front 7 made 90% of the tackles.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I guess if I were a GT fan and admittedly I am NOT...I would say the following to the isu fans who are disappointed in an eiu win.

Boys here at tech we did NOT LOSE to Iowa at home by 32 points...We just lost by 14 in a bcs bowl!!!!

See there you are a rebuttal from a pseudo tech fan!!!!:biglaugh:

What the hell are you talking about?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Again, nothing against the Iowa D. They are easily top 5. But, if you can't at least be a THREAT to pass you are not going to win against good teams. I think it really tells us the ACC isn't great. I would fully have expected Iowa to dominate even if GT could make a pass once every 10 plays but it would have at least looked like GT was trying. GT looked worse than minnesota.

I agree, this is why I never really thought Tech had a shot at beating Iowa. The Hawks have a history of shutting one demensional teams down, you rarely beat them being predictable. The ACC is VERY down, I'm just relieved that Miami lost, can you imagine the ESPN hype machine, even over a Champs Sports bowl.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Wow, this is getting crazy. Iowa's front 7 possibly the best in the country? Based on what, dominating a team that they knew was going to run nearly every play and couldn't throw? UNI's offense was much better than Tech's, and they didn't even make the play-offs this year. Heck anybody's offense that can actually throw a little would be better than Tech's last night. That was a boring game with a couple of inept offenses. Everybody knew Tech's defense was no good and eiu didn't do much against it considering the great field position and many many opportunities the Tech offense gave the Iowa offense with 3 and outs.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
The BCS is happy that they didn't let BSU or TCU play Iowa or GT.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I would have loved to have seen that matchup. Would be some exciting football I think.

If you like watching the Big 11 and ACC get their ***** handed to them......which I do.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Wow, this is getting crazy. Iowa's front 7 possibly the best in the country? Based on what, dominating a team that they knew was going to run nearly every play and couldn't throw? UNI's offense was much better than Tech's, and they didn't even make the play-offs this year. Heck anybody's offense that can actually throw a little would be better than Tech's last night. That was a boring game with a couple of inept offenses. Everybody knew Tech's defense was no good and eiu didn't do much against it considering the great field position and many many opportunities the Tech offense gave the Iowa offense with 3 and outs.

Another thread got derailed comparing Iowa's D-Line to Nebraska's D-Line. It was fairly close, but Nebraska's was clearly better. Iowa's front 7 is one of the best in the nation, but certainly not THE best.

The BCS is happy that they didn't let BSU or TCU play Iowa or GT.

Actually, I'd give Iowa a pretty good chance against both BSU and TCU, based on what I saw Monday. Neither team looked unstoppable, and I doubt either of their defenses are significantly better than Iowa's.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I noticed how Tornado Man isn't on here singing the praises of Paul Johnson's offense today... :rolleyes:

Let's face it - the ACC sucks for a reason (it's not widely considered the worst BCS conference and possibly even worse than the MWC for nothing). The traditional powers in Miami, FSU, and VT are all down. With the exception of VT, Clemson, and possibly Miami, no one plays a shred of defense in the conference. They didn't have their greatest games against either VT or Clemson, and they got absolutely rolled by Miami. And this is the second year in a row - last year to LSU and this year to Iowa - that they were absolutely owned by a team that can play defense. Perhaps it's not that Paul Johnson's offense is so great, maybe it's that they rarely play anyone that's capable of stopping any kind of offense, to include the triple option.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think it mostly has to do with Iowa(and LSU last year) having plenty of prep time to get ready for GT's style. It will be interesting to see how the other ACC teams adapt after having played them a few years.

bhutch65

Sep 17, 2007
Coralville
My thoughts exactly. Nothing against the hawks...especially on D, they are for real. But how in the world did GT make a BCS bowl with that one dimensional offense. Is the ACC THAT bad?

Iowa won a FOOTBALL game last night. They came out and slugged a physical team in the mouth and made them break. GT's quarterback looked like a scared chicken half way through the game. He was supposed to be the toughest guy on their team but turned out to be a bird. Think of successful triple option quarterbacks of the past. Thomas Lott and Charles Thompson were great because they played fearlessly. I once saw Tom Perticone hit TL as hard as a man could in Ames and Lott got right up and was jawing after scoring. Once you get into someone's head, the game becomes easy. Iowa did the same to South Carolina last year and will continue to in future bowls. Teams that don't back down give Iowa fits. See Northwestern. They came out slugging and have beat Iowa.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The last thing the bcs wanted was to see Boise and TCU knock off Iowa and GT, which I think would have likely happened. So instead of a highly anticipated match up of Boise vs Iowa and TCU vs GT or Florida, we get a couple of ho hum bcs match ups instead. Neither game was very well played, though the Fiesta Bowl was better with that great fake punt by Boise. Compare that with that pathetic fake field goal attempt by Iowa last night.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
For a guy running an offensive scheme very different than what his predecessor ran, I think Paul Johnson is doing a great job, BCS bowl in second year is great any way you slice it. Once he gets in a couple more recruiting classes of the types of players he wants the story may be different.

This. Paul Johnson is using athletes he inherited, recruited to a pro-style system under Chan Gailey, who was fired. He's won, what, 20 games and an ACC title with players he did not recruit, and players who had no idea they would be playing a triple-option offense.
If I was a GT fan, I'd be much more concerned about the defense in the future, not the offense...

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
This. Paul Johnson is using athletes he inherited, recruited to a pro-style system under Chan Gailey, who was fired. He's won, what, 20 games and an ACC title with players he did not recruit, and players who had no idea they would be playing a triple-option offense.
If I was a GT fan, I'd be much more concerned about the defense in the future, not the offense...

Georgia Tech's defense did fine once they settled down. It looked to me like Iowa had a good offensive game plan coming into the game. Once Georgia Tech figured it out, Iowa had a much harder time moving the ball.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That triple option last night brought back nightmares of Jim Walden's triple option in the '94 (0-10-1) season.

Just because he switched overnight from a wide-open attack to a triple-option, despite the lack of running backs on the roster, doesn't mean it was a bad idea.:jimlad:

That was a shame. I really think he almost made it over the hump. Almost.