Sarah Fuller Vandy kicker

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020

I love a feel good story and if coach thinks she can help the team I'm all for her kicking. That said let's not act like it was this great kick. If you want to give the other team the ball at the 35 without risking a return just have your normal kicker boot the thing out of bounds.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I love a feel good story and if coach thinks she can help the team I'm all for her kicking. That said let's not act like it was this great kick. If you want to give the other team the ball at the 35 without risking a return just have your normal kicker boot the thing out of bounds.

I was expecting something in the air to about the 20 at least. My son has a couple years left and he could pop them to the 10. He also mentioned that you probably have some HS kickers going to school there which would give you someone with some tackling experience also. Nice story, but the kick wasn’t good.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
So your beef is that Ron Rivera called it "perfect"? Take it up with him bro.

Reactions: Angie

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How about we don't criticize her for the kick when we don't have any idea what we're talking about and weren't in her shoes? How about we just give her props instead?

We don't know what she was asked to do... she might have done exactly what she was told to do. And even if she didn't hit it exactly like she wanted to..... who of us have ever been in that kind of pressure situation with the entire country looking at you to perform on behalf of all the women in the country. I might have whiffed it in that moment, or tripped before even getting to the ball.

I give her all the credit in the world. Great accomplishment! Groundbreaking!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Pretty obvious it was an intentional squib kick. Nor have we seen anyone “acting like it was a great kick” either. Weak attempt to create an argument where none exists.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
From what understand Vanderbilt squib kicks on every kickoff because their coverage team is terrible. I think she did exactly what was asked of her.

Vandy is just bad, which shouldn’t take anything away from Ms. Fuller’s accomplishment.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
She really didn't kick the ball that hard.

Maybe it was shorter than she wanted but it looked placed/aimed.

It's weird that people watch that and don't notice it.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Yep, I think trying to make this something that it is not cheapens the actual accomplishment. Just a conversation starter, bro

Does it though? I'm also not sure how you expect a public figure to address the kick. It seems like showing support and kindness is appropriate but I could be missing something big here.

Also, it appears she was the only kicker available, and she had all of 6 days to prep. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...or-vanderbilt-a-bright-spot-in-odd-cfb-season

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

It was a decent squib kick. Mizzou had to fall on it, and Vandy wasn't that far off from being able to jump on it themselves. You can't have her kick it deep (to the 25 for her maybe?) and then have her be the safety on an already bad coverage team. That would be irresponsible. What if she had to try and tackle some dude? What if she gets laid out by a 240 lb linebacker? Yeah, just squib it.

That being said, anybody could've done what she did. My wife could've kicked it as far as she did, and she's 40 and never played soccer. Let's not act like she was taking handoffs, making tackles, blocking, or catching passes. But hey, now she can always say she played in an SEC football game. Which is pretty cool.

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
It was a decent squib kick. Mizzou had to fall on it, and Vandy wasn't that far off from being able to jump on it themselves. You can't have her kick it deep (to the 25 for her maybe?) and then have her be the safety on an already bad coverage team. That would be irresponsible. What if she had to try and tackle some dude? What if she gets laid out by a 240 lb linebacker? Yeah, just squib it.

That being said, anybody could've done what she did. My wife could've kicked it as far as she did, and she's 40 and never played soccer. Let's not act like she was taking handoffs, making tackles, blocking, or catching passes. But hey, now she can always say she played in an SEC football game. Which is pretty cool.
Agreed. I just wish vandy didn't suck that bad. Would have loved to see her get a FG or PAT!

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
How about we don't criticize her for the kick when we don't have any idea what we're talking about and weren't in her shoes? How about we just give her props instead?

We don't know what she was asked to do... she might have done exactly what she was told to do. And even if she didn't hit it exactly like she wanted to..... who of us have ever been in that kind of pressure situation with the entire country looking at you to perform on behalf of all the women in the country. I might have whiffed it in that moment, or tripped before even getting to the ball.

I give her all the credit in the world. Great accomplishment! Groundbreaking!

Groundbreaking? One squib kick where the guy just fell on it and killed the play? No, it was just a nice moment, and a cool moment for her. If some woman goes out there and makes a 30 yard FG, or runs for 50-100 yards, or makes four or five tackles, than that would be groundbreaking.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Groundbreaking? One squib kick where the guy just fell on it and killed the play? No, it was just a nice moment, and a cool moment for her. If some woman goes out there and makes a 30 yard FG, or runs for 50-100 yards, or makes four or five tackles, than that would be groundbreaking.

We all know what you think about women. You think because she's a woman she could only kick it to the 25 yd line, and there's no way she could tackle a man.... and that it would be unfair to even put her in that situation.

That's all I need to know about your views on this.

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
Eh, gotta start somewhere, I get that it should be called groundbreaking. I'm glad she did, it just would have been awesome to see her score (FG/PAT).

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

Maybe learn a little bit about the situation before saying something dumb, "bro."

There's a reason Vandy didn't have their normal kickers do this. They are either out the season or quarantined due to covid. She was all they had. And she has never competitively kicked a football before (she probably had never kicked one period, but I can't say that for certain. She may have kicked one at some point with friends). They didn't even ask her to kick until a week ago. So even if she intended to bomb it (and we'll get to that later), that kick was by someone who has probably never kicked a football before outside of practice and definitely hasn't in a game, has had less than a week of practice, is on national television, and is representing her sex. Under those circumstances, even if she meant to bomb it, that is a damn good kick.

So now let's actually talk about the kick. I guess it's possible she meant to bomb it, but I really doubt it. She had a holder. Why? It wasn't windy. Most likely they did it because they've been teaching her how to kick field goals and so you have her perform every kick that way. But the problem with doing that is it puts you at a disadvantage if there's any return. She doesn't know how to tackle (and you don't want her to, she's the only kicker you have), the holder may not be the best tackler, and even if he is, he's just been holding and isn't going to be in a great spot to make a return. If you definitely don't want a return, that makes the squib kick the logical choice.

There's other evidence that shows this was probably intentional. All the Vandy players immediately start going that way; they knew where the ball was going. That suggests this was intentional. After she kicked, she also ran off the field almost immediately. That also suggests that she wasn't expecting a return and that the kick was intentional.

I guess there's still the question of why didn't they just kick it out of bounds if they didn't want a return? This gives them the chance for a fumble and recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.