Sarah Fuller Vandy kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That raises a side question I didn’t think of. If you are on scholarship for another sport, it instantly transfers to the football team and works into their limit. Is the women’s soccer team at Vandy a scholarship program? Why basketball will also talk about football players, their scholarship sits with FB and doesn’t put you into violation.
I would assume that the soccer team is a scholarship program but that’s purely a guess. I’m also wondering if like a lot of other non revenue sports where they don’t have enough full ride scholarships to cover all the players and they have to split them up between the team. I know that’s common for men’s sports but I’m not sure if that’s true of women’s sports too.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Looks to me like she did her job, squib kick with decent bounce for no return.

I'd love to see her absolutely level a returner, lol. Not like she's small, she's like 6'2" or something and no soccer player is gonna be afraid of contact.

Reactions: Angie and clonedude

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would assume that the soccer team is a scholarship program but that’s purely a guess. I’m also wondering if like a lot of other non revenue sports where they don’t have enough full ride scholarships to cover all the players and they have to split them up between the team. I know that’s common for men’s sports but I’m not sure if that’s true of women’s sports too.

SEC Wimens soccer is pretty big and Vandy is a good program. If she’s an upper class men it’s likely she’s on full scholarship.

• Informative
Reactions: mramseyISU

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Regarding her ability to tackle: she's a 6'2" soccer player. I doubt they want her trying to tackle anyone, but I bet there are other Div I kickers out there who are more likely to get hurt in that situation than her.

Agree. I just don't understand why people would just assume that because she's a woman she wouldn't want to tackle someone?? Do you think Rhonda Rousey would be afraid to tackle someone?

I understand she's a soccer player and not a MMA fighter.... but it doesn't mean you just assume she wouldn't welcome some physical contact.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree. I just don't understand why people would just assume that because she's a woman she wouldn't want to tackle someone?? Do you think Rhonda Rousey would be afraid to tackle someone?

I understand she's a soccer player and not a MMA fighter.... but it doesn't mean you just assume she wouldn't welcome some physical contact.

Probably has taken harder hits with no padding.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

A lot of it comes from correct form. You can mess yourself up hitting wrong. It’s worked on every day in practice. Even the form from 10 years is considered wrong today. I had to learn it for youth football and fight the old school guys about form since it was what the HS and many colleges have switched too to decrease concussions. It’s not a go run into somebody and just hit them style anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: bsaltyman

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

I would assume this because of physics and biological muscle density & type differences.

Football is an explosive sport. Not a females forte. They can (and are in many cases) outperform men in endurance events.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Unpopular opinion... ANYONE can do what she did. But if she can chase down a ball carrier and make an open field tackle then what evs.

I'm sorry I don't see this as "achievement". It's just a non-typical player playing 1 play.
I know we like to dunk on kickers, but no they can't

Reactions: Angie

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I think it is cool a woman gets to kick and believe men or women can do whatever they put their mind to. She also has to be able to tackle and is the last line of defense. I would feel so bad if I had to block her and hurt her. I would feel less of a man because I just bulldozed a woman so my return kicker could score a touchdown.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would assume this because of physics and biological muscle density & type differences.

Football is an explosive sport. Not a females forte. They can (and are in many cases) outperform men in endurance events.

OMG.... please tell me you're over 70 years old. Then I might be able to forgive you.

You realize there are a LOT of women that would kick your a**, right?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Unpopular opinion... ANYONE can do what she did. But if she can chase down a ball carrier and make an open field tackle then what evs.

I'm sorry I don't see this as "achievement". It's just a non-typical player playing 1 play.
I'm quite confident that neither of us can execute a squib kick with accuracy as well as she did.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don’t want to speak for Tex, but I don’t think it’s quite fair to label his take on this as completely misogynistic. She is trained as a soccer player, and she was just recently added to the team as a last resort. I think the only fair thing to ask of her in this situation is to kick. I wouldn’t ask her to try and tackle the kick returner or anything because she doesn’t have training in that. Not saying that she couldn’t tackle a man, but it does seem unfair to ask that of her.

Maybe she's a natural. Maybe all the other players on that team who've been playing football competitively - hitting, getting hit, training and bleeding for years and years and years - are all doing it wrong.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Can’t Miami it anymore though. D1 football is full ride or no scholarship. Thanks to Miami and Nebraska type teams putting the receivers on track scholarship and then having 110 football scholarships, the rule came in that if you are on any school paid funded scholarship, it counts towards the 85 football limit. So if she was on a soccer scholarship she would have to either get a full ride football one or walk away from her soccer one.

There was a few preferred walk ins in the past that had to choose to either have their scholarship or play football.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron