Sarah Fuller Vandy kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
That’s a great moment. Out of curiosity did anyone watch the game? I am assuming Vandy had their punter available?

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
We all know what you think about women. You think because she's a woman she could only kick it to the 25 yd line, and there's no way she could tackle a man.... and that it would be unfair to even put her in that situation.

That's all I need to know about your views on this.

I don’t want to speak for Tex, but I don’t think it’s quite fair to label his take on this as completely misogynistic. She is trained as a soccer player, and she was just recently added to the team as a last resort. I think the only fair thing to ask of her in this situation is to kick. I wouldn’t ask her to try and tackle the kick returner or anything because she doesn’t have training in that. Not saying that she couldn’t tackle a man, but it does seem unfair to ask that of her.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Assuming she kicks again next week, Vandy plays Georgia. So she will likely only get 1 more kickoff. Doubtful Vandy scores or even gets within fg range.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Interesting thread.

Nice moment, that feels a bit like a PR stunt. Why not ask someone from the Men's soccer team?

I would also guesstimate there are at least a couple dozen students that kicked in HS that would have jumped at the chance.

So why her?

If there is a legit reason she was the one picked, please elaborate because I just watched the vid of the kick and did not read any background on the situation.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Was it an impressive kick? No but a female getting to kick in a power 5 conference game is an impressive feat in itself. As a father of 2 young girls I made sure they got to see the video of this. I'm not saying I hope my girls grow up wanting to play football but I want them to see that just because they are a female they shouldn't think they cant do certain things just because of that. Already have had conversations with my 1st grader about the significance of the next vice president will be the 1st female to hold the office (not getting political here just providing another example) and how being a female doesn't mean you cant do the same things males do.

It's too bad Vanderbilt got shut out because it would have been cool to see her attempt an extra point or FG.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don’t want to speak for Tex, but I don’t think it’s quite fair to label his take on this as completely misogynistic. She is trained as a soccer player, and she was just recently added to the team as a last resort. I think the only fair thing to ask of her in this situation is to kick. I wouldn’t ask her to try and tackle the kick returner or anything because she doesn’t have training in that. Not saying that she couldn’t tackle a man, but it does seem unfair to ask that of her.

Has anyone asked her if she's afraid to make a tackle? If so, I haven't seen that, so I apologize if she has indeed said she wouldn't want to tackle someone.

And she's a goalie on the Vandy soccer team.... so I can all but guarantee you she can kick it past the 25 yd line. Goalie's can kick the ball really far generally speaking. She has great kicking form.... which isn't surprising at all.

I give her a lot of credit, but if people really want to attempt to diminish what she did.... so be it.

Reactions: Angie

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Interesting thread.

Nice moment, that feels a bit like a PR stunt. Why not ask someone from the Men's soccer team?

I would also guesstimate there are at least a couple dozen students that kicked in HS that would have jumped at the chance.

So why her?

If there is a legit reason she was the one picked, please elaborate because I just watched the vid of the kick and did not read any background on the situation.
Vanderbilt canceled men’s soccer in 2005 or 2006 so I’m guessing all of their men’s players are out of eligibility.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Was it an impressive kick? No but a female getting to kick in a power 5 conference game is an impressive feat in itself. As a father of 2 young girls I made sure they got to see the video of this. I'm not saying I hope my girls grow up wanting to play football but I want them to see that just because they are a female they shouldn't think they cant do certain things just because of that. Already have had conversations with my 1st grader about the significance of the next vice president will be the 1st female to hold the office (not getting political here just providing another example) and how being a female doesn't mean you cant do the same things males do.

It's too bad Vanderbilt got shut out because it would have been cool to see her attempt an extra point or FG.

Yes, it actually was an impressive kick. Did you not watch the short video I posted a few minutes ago? She did exactly what she was supposed to do, and it's not as easy as people think.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Interesting thread.

So why her?

How do you know they didn’t ask those other people?

Reactions: Angie

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Interesting thread.

So why her?

The important thing is that you didn’t read any background before calling it a PR stunt. Good work.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
How do you know they didn’t ask those other people?
Can you imagine the zoo of open kicking tryouts on campus? I see this like the time Fred had to get some warm bodies off the football team to fill out the basketball roster. It’s way easier to pick up some players who are already student athletes. No idea if they asked anybody else but she’s a high level athlete who trains to kick the **** out of a ball. Seems to me like a good solution to a problem.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This is like the pre-game for the first basketball game-day thread of the season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Can you imagine the zoo of open kicking tryouts on campus? I see this like the time Fred had to get some warm bodies off the football team to fill out the basketball roster. It’s way easier to pick up some players who are already student athletes. No idea if they asked anybody else but she’s a high level athlete who trains to kick the **** out of a ball. Seems to me like a good solution to a problem.
That raises a side question I didn’t think of. If you are on scholarship for another sport, it instantly transfers to the football team and works into their limit. Is the women’s soccer team at Vandy a scholarship program? Why basketball will also talk about football players, their scholarship sits with FB and doesn’t put you into violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.