Rewatched the condensed OSU game....

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I rewatched the game and here are my secondary reactions:

OL had a rough game in pass blocking, but Purdy and the coaches did not help the situation. When OSU was really sending guy, there often was no checkdown for Purdy, or he didn't take it when it was open.

Hall is a complete stud, and I will never understand why they basically went away from running the ball in the latter parts of the game. The second and 4 at the 20 or so, right before the pick 6 would have been a great time to give him the ball.

Defense really played well in the second half. All three of the big plays in the first half were from guys missing tackles or not being in the right place. Safety play after Elsworth got hurt in the first half was not good at all.

There were way too many passes dropped by ISU, including 2 sure INTs, and one pass that would have given them a first and goal at the 6.

Once again ISU can not make a FG while the opponent seems to make them from everywhere they try.

Purdy threw a lot of really good passes and some scary bad ones. Not sure what has been up with him the last few games, but definitely not as sharp.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
In my opinion, Manning wasn't giving Purdy much of a chance against OSU. By completely abandoning the run game, while forcing Purdy to sit in the pocket, he screwed us over. Of course Purdy didn't play great, but I think it was more due to poor pass blocking and by Manning allowing OSU to sit back and play pass.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
In my opinion, Manning wasn't giving Purdy much of a chance against OSU. By completely abandoning the run game, while forcing Purdy to sit in the pocket, he screwed us over. Of course Purdy didn't play great, but I think it was more due to poor pass blocking and by Manning allowing OSU to sit back and play pass.

Sometimes Purdy "sits in the pocket" 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Get to the outside and put some pressure on the defense with your feet!

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I thought OkState looked very good early in the season. Not sure why they struggled after that, but they certainly were very prepared for Iowa State. To me, the single reason why we lost to OkState was because they prepared for the game and knew where our guys were weak. They exploited the weaknesses well. Once they got that ball rolling, it was difficult for our guys to stop it. Simple explanation, we didn't get the job done before the game started.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought OkState looked very good early in the season. Not sure why they struggled after that, but they certainly were very prepared for Iowa State. To me, the single reason why we lost to OkState was because they prepared for the game and knew where our guys were weak. They exploited the weaknesses well. Once they got that ball rolling, it was difficult for our guys to stop it. Simple explanation, we didn't get the job done before the game started.
If Greg Eisworth plays that whole game I don't think ISU loses.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
For some reason Purdy has games where he just doesn't look comfortable in the pocket at all - constantly drifting back, throwing off of his back foot and fading away from contact instead of stepping into his throws. Until he fixes that, I think teams are going to continue to send tons of pressure at our offense like OSU and TTU (in the 2nd half) did.

I have faith that he will get it fixed eventually, but for now hopefully our offensive staff can help him out more scheme wise with quick hitters, screens, etc.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For some reason Purdy has games where he just doesn't look comfortable in the pocket at all - constantly drifting back, throwing off of his back foot and fading away from contact instead of stepping into his throws. Until he fixes that, I think teams are going to continue to send tons of pressure at our offense like OSU and TTU (in the 2nd half) did.

I have faith that he will get it fixed eventually, but for now hopefully our offensive staff can help him out more scheme wise with quick hitters, screens, etc.
If they keep throwing a ton of pressure at him you'd think there would be a time where the coaches would tell him, "This is the game. When that pressure comes and you see a crease, hit it hard and hit it often."

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
If they keep throwing a ton of pressure at him you'd think there would be a time where the coaches would tell him, "This is the game. When that pressure comes and you see a crease, hit it hard and hit it often."
This is the winner of the thread. (My opinion, obviously) I feel like they're pigeonholing Purdy into the role of traditional drop-back quarterback when he's clearly a dual-threat QB. They're obviously coaching him to not run downfield. Classic square peg-round hole conundrum.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If the plan is to have Purdy sit in the pocket all night Saturday...I will be able to go to bed early! He has to use his feet and put pressure on the defense!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If Greg Eisworth plays that whole game I don't think ISU loses.

Eh, two of their long scores came on the edge and one was off of a bad tackle/bad technique by Eisworth....he's led with his shoulder a lot this year instead of just wrapping up.

I'm glad Campbell has been open about getting better fundamentally because that's been the issue in all 3 phases at important times all season.

But why you wouldn't scoot Purdy out to the edge to get the defense off base is beyond me.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I rewatched the condensed one a few times as well. All of the OPs points are spot-on. Remedy just one of those points and we likely won by 2 scores.

The thing that stood out most to me though is that despite the horribly unbalanced play-calling in that game, and the rough day the OL had, Purdy had chances all day long to convert on 2nd and 3rd to his check downs and underneath routes, and he just wouldn’t make the easy throw. He had it in his head he was going to make the highlight reel that day, and sat in the pocket for the deep ball that never opened up.

Oh well, the rest of the top half lost that day too and we’re still in the hunt. Purdy isn’t a stubborn dude though, I’m confident he’s ready to roll in Norman!

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
As long as Manning keeps calling 62 passes and 18 runs this Offense will continue to struggle....Its past time to get the Running Game going and have more balance between run and pass....

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
As ho-hum of a game as it was, after we got that defensive stop very late in the game, I thought for sure we were going to drive the ball down the field and win the game.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
As long as Manning keeps calling 62 passes and 18 runs this Offense will continue to struggle....Its past time to get the Running Game going and have more balance between run and pass....
On what planet is 468 yards of total offense “struggling”?

Some of you guys are starting to sound like typical fans of the team out East—and it’s already getting old.

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36

Help Support Us

Become a patron