Recruits & Transfers

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
There was a year in the Bobby Douglas era where ISU only qualified 5 guys and finished 2nd (albeit a fairly distant 2nd) -- because those 5 went 1-2-2-4-5.
Incredible tournament team. With Carr, Paniro, Bastida, Casey and maybe Redding/Gaitan/Kraisser/Euton/Terukina we get some combination of 3 in the top 4 and 4 in the top 6 and 6 in the top 8… we could be there again.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Incredible tournament team. With Carr, Paniro, Bastida, Casey and maybe Redding/Gaitan/Kraisser/Euton/Terukina we get some combination of 3 in the top 4 and 4 in the top 6 and 6 in the top 8… we could be there again.
To back this. Carr at 19. Paniro at 16. Bastida with 16. Casey with 10. That’s 61 points and good enough for 6th place ahead of Michigan with 4 point getters. 71 points beats Ohio state and brings home the hardware. 10 more points between those other 4 guys and we are right there. Those big 4 matter most though and it’s really going to matter having the race horses

Reactions: 4theheckofit

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Isaak Olejnick in the portal but thinking he is a solid 165 doubt he would bump up or go down.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
To back this. Carr at 19. Paniro at 16. Bastida with 16. Casey with 10. That’s 61 points and good enough for 6th place ahead of Michigan with 4 point getters. 71 points beats Ohio state and brings home the hardware. 10 more points between those other 4 guys and we are right there. Those big 4 matter most though and it’s really going to matter having the race horses
If we can bring in a big transfer, that number will look even better.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Not sure if it was posted here, but I saw Knopick has entered the transfer portal. Kinda a bummer as he came in pretty highly ranked, but just never materialized, wish him the best.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Not sure if it was posted here, but I saw Knopick has entered the transfer portal. Kinda a bummer as he came in pretty highly ranked, but just never materialized, wish him the best.
I mentioned this a week back or something. I saw it as well. Bummer but hopefully he finds his place somewhere and finds success. Maybe it clears up a little money?

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I could be wrong, but I think after having a year under his belt and a whole off season to work on mat wrestling, Casey will be a high AA next year. Same with Paniro. When Bastida is healthy, another high AA guy...when I say high, I mean 4/5th or higher. There's four right there. Find and land a sure fire top 3 guy (which I understand will be incredibly difficult, but looking at you, Shane Griffith) and we're in the mix.

Reactions: matclone

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I could be wrong, but I think after having a year under his belt and a whole off season to work on mat wrestling, Casey will be a high AA next year. Same with Paniro. When Bastida is healthy, another high AA guy...when I say high, I mean 4/5th or higher. There's four right there. Find and land a sure fire top 3 guy (which I understand will be incredibly difficult, but looking at you, Shane Griffith) and we're in the mix.
Casey being a high AA at 157 after one off-season would be a pleasant surprise. Tough task.

Yonger and Paniro need consistency.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

RE: Casey, everyone else will be working as well, and he’s apparently moving up two weights. Making the podium is a good goal for him.

Regardless, I like your optimism but you’re looking at best case scenario with those 3 guys. That rarely happens. Which underscores the need for more talent.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
The only surefire top 5 guy we’ve got right now is David.

We have 3 or 4 other guys that have potential to be AA’s in 2024 though.

Hopefully we can land/develop 1-2 more.

I'm thinking Cypacker ("We need a transfer bad") is a troll from his posts so I'm not going to reply to his posts.

In response to this post I'm all for developing/landing 1-2 more. (I'll always agree on that.) However, very few wrestlers are sure fire top 5 guys. I'd say we already have 3 guys on our roster that have shown they can put themselves in that T5 position based upon prior years results (Carr, Bastida & Paniro).

IF you add in Kysen @ 125 (was ranked in T5 at one time), Redding/Ramazon @ 133, Swiderski @ 141 there are another 3 guys that have either beaten top tier guys, made it to R12 and/or have been highly ranked. Any/All of these guys could become AA's and wouldn't be a huge surprise if one or more end up T5.

Those listed above are 6 weights (5 IF Swiderski redshirts) that can achieve T5 levels. It doesn't even factor in guys like Perryman (who could also be the guy at 125), Gaitan @ 165, Kraisser @ 157, Broderson @ 174 if they take another developmental step. We have a LOT of quality experience returning and I'm expecting our program to take another step UP the ladder next year. How high is the million dollar question. The top 6 guys I've listed above can contend for high AA levels IF they all continue to improve, show consistency and get hot in March. Just think that IF someone would had picked Paniro as being a T3 guy entering the '22-23 season after barely beating Robinson in a wrestle off... Many here would have called them crazy. Now you'd be crazy not to consider him a contender for the title.

As for saying 10 AA's is NOT the way to a team title... Minnesota fan's might argue this opinion. We could have 7-8 guys earn AA. IF 3 of these guys are T3 then I'd say we've just won the title without adding anyone new to our roster. There are a lot of ways for me to talk myself into a team trophy (or championship) next year.

Whew, that post made me thirsty... I'll take another glass of the cool-aid ;)

Cypacker

Mar 20, 2023
I'm thinking Cypacker ("We need a transfer bad") is a troll from his posts so I'm not going to reply to his posts.

In response to this post I'm all for developing/landing 1-2 more. (I'll always agree on that.) However, very few wrestlers are sure fire top 5 guys. I'd say we already have 3 guys on our roster that have shown they can put themselves in that T5 position based upon prior years results (Carr, Bastida & Paniro).

IF you add in Kysen @ 125 (was ranked in T5 at one time), Redding/Ramazon @ 133, Swiderski @ 141 there are another 3 guys that have either beaten top tier guys, made it to R12 and/or have been highly ranked. Any/All of these guys could become AA's and wouldn't be a huge surprise if one or more end up T5.

Those listed above are 6 weights (5 IF Swiderski redshirts) that can achieve T5 levels. It doesn't even factor in guys like Perryman (who could also be the guy at 125), Gaitan @ 165, Kraisser @ 157, Broderson @ 174 if they take another developmental step. We have a LOT of quality experience returning and I'm expecting our program to take another step UP the ladder next year. How high is the million dollar question. The top 6 guys I've listed above can contend for high AA levels IF they all continue to improve, show consistency and get hot in March. Just think that IF someone would had picked Paniro as being a T3 guy entering the '22-23 season after barely beating Robinson in a wrestle off... Many here would have called them crazy. Now you'd be crazy not to consider him a contender for the title.

As for saying 10 AA's is NOT the way to a team title... Minnesota fan's might argue this opinion. We could have 7-8 guys earn AA. IF 3 of these guys are T3 then I'd say we've just won the title without adding anyone new to our roster. There are a lot of ways for me to talk myself into a team trophy (or championship) next year.

Whew, that post made me thirsty... I'll take another glass of the cool-aid ;)
Lol.
First off I agree that Carr and paniro are T5 guys. Paniro is a true freshman and I’ll give him a break Yonger obviously needs to work harder I think he relies on his athleticism but he can be T5. Yonger still has lots of work to do on the mat to be a consistent AA. Kysen is so inconsistent you can’t trust him fully but he has the talent to be a AA. I believe swiderski will be a AA next year. Broderson has had his chance and he isn’t good enough and I think Gaitan will be solid and take his spot. I like Krassier a lot but he’s not going to get you many points at the tournament. Redding and Ramazon are good guys but you don’t know how they will do. Both have potential to be AA but can they? But on what you said I highly doubt you crack top 5 this year without bringing in a transfer. Idc if you think I’m a troll or something . But Ik I’m right.

Help Support Us

Become a patron