Recruits & Transfers

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Wasn’t sure where to put this. I think here?

Rutgers picking up someone big.

Top uncommitted high schoolers (according to Flo's Pound for Pound rankings) are Jax Forrest (2026), Luke Lilledahl (2024), Koy Hopke (2024), Angelo Ferrari (2024), Cody Merrill (2024), Ben Davino (2024), and PJ Duke (2025). Out of that group, I would say program changers would be Jax Forrest (but hes a few years out), LL, Angelo Ferrari, and Davino.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Maybe the big means 285 pounder, since McDermott is transferring. Or do they already have someone?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Maybe the big means 285 pounder, since McDermott is transferring. Or do they already have someone?
Those two heavyweights are 2024 though, which wouldn't impact McDermott since he only has one year left. If it's the Harvard heavy, I wouldnt call him "program changing"

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Naturally. At this point, who isn't?
Yeah, the amount of talent they get is ridiculous. The log jam they will have from 165-197 will be interesting with Haines, Facundo, Barr, the Mirasola twins, Zack Ryder, Joe Sealy, etc. That is a lot of top guys and an extremely talented wrestler will end up on the bench that could start at almost any other school

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yeah, the amount of talent they get is ridiculous. The log jam they will have from 165-197 will be interesting with Haines, Facundo, Barr, the Mirasola twins, Zack Ryder, Joe Sealy, etc. That is a lot of top guys and an extremely talented wrestler will end up on the bench that could start at almost any other school
I'd imagine it's almost certain that one of the Miralsolas will be at heavyweight, but yeah the absolute overload of talent they'll have is insanse. They'll basically go two deep with blue chippers at most weights and then have the leg up on everyone if they need to fill a spot via portal.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I'd imagine it's almost certain that one of the Miralsolas will be at heavyweight, but yeah the absolute overload of talent they'll have is insanse. They'll basically go two deep with blue chippers at most weights and then have the leg up on everyone if they need to fill a spot via portal.
This has been a thing in the past as well though and history has proven that it doesn’t pan out for them. They were supposed to be loaded with talent from 125-149 a couple years ago and had no place to put them all (Teske, RBY, busiello, Howard, some others I can’t remember). Between guys on their roster and guys coming in, it was supposed to be a massive log jam. With the transfer portal you will see guys leaving. Also, if you look at their roster they aren’t 2 deep now at hardly any weight where you can point to a stud backup.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This has been a thing in the past as well though and history has proven that it doesn’t pan out for them. They were supposed to be loaded with talent from 125-149 a couple years ago and had no place to put them all (Teske, RBY, busiello, Howard, some others I can’t remember). Between guys on their roster and guys coming in, it was supposed to be a massive log jam. With the transfer portal you will see guys leaving. Also, if you look at their roster they aren’t 2 deep now at hardly any weight where you can point to a stud backup.
And they will still win the 2024 title by a landslide.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I think the first step we need to take, is qualify all 10 weights.

Go from there. Heck, Iowa won it all in 2021. PSU can be beaten.
I’ll disagree here. Penn state doesn’t qualify 10 guys and they know it doesn’t take 10 to win it. The way ncaa championship scoring is formulated you need 3-5 really, really, really good guys to be able to win it. Next, you will need another 2 to 3 guys who can score some points and probably sneak on the podium. It really takes about 8 guys, maybe 9, but 3-5 of them have to be scoring 15-23 points. It will be the only way to compete with penn state.

The top performers matter more than the overall depth. Arizona state qualified just 5 guys and finished 7th… 5. But they had a 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th. You can be a trophy team with 5 or 6 really tough kids.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I’ll disagree here. Penn state doesn’t qualify 10 guys and they know it doesn’t take 10 to win it. The way ncaa championship scoring is formulated you need 3-5 really, really, really good guys to be able to win it. Next, you will need another 2 to 3 guys who can score some points and probably sneak on the podium. It really takes about 8 guys, maybe 9, but 3-5 of them have to be scoring 15-23 points. It will be the only way to compete with penn state.

The top performers matter more than the overall depth. Arizona state qualified just 5 guys and finished 7th… 5. But they had a 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th. You can be a trophy team with 5 or 6 really tough kids.
That makes total sense. So what you are saying is to "concentrate resources" so to say, to get hammers at more than one weight but not spread to thin that you get average across the board.

I gotcha.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There was a year in the Bobby Douglas era where ISU only qualified 5 guys and finished 2nd (albeit a fairly distant 2nd) -- because those 5 went 1-2-2-4-5.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron