RECRUITING: Football commits

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
dumb question but i was never a college athlete so i don't know.

do recruits really look at playing time vs being on a good team? would you rather start for the twins or be a reliever for the cubs if you had a choice?

Not even decision, you participate in sports to play as much as you can.

The kids that committed clearly are not basing it on ISU the football program legacy or past performane, if that were the case we probably would be sitting with about 3 commits.

More about you have a very young coach who can relate to kids socially, and you give kids an opportunity to play next year and not wait 2 or 3 years before seeing the field regularly.

Part of instant gratification culture we are morphing into.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not even decision, you participate in sports to play as much as you can.

The kids that committed clearly are not basing it on ISU the football program legacy or past performane, if that were the case we probably would be sitting with about 3 commits.

More about you have a very young coach who can relate to kids socially, and you give kids an opportunity to play next year and not wait 2 or 3 years before seeing the field regularly.

Part of instant gratification culture we are morphing into.

Participate in sports to play as much as you can? No wonder so many parents complain about playing time these days. You participate to win, end of list.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013

do recruits really look at playing time vs being on a good team? would you rather start for the twins or be a reliever for the cubs if you had a choice?

You can't stereotype all recruits as being attracted for the same reason. Some want playing time, some want to play for a powerhouse school, some are focused on the degree they will major it, some have family connections to a school, some have a friend or people from their geographic area on the team.

Regarding baseball, I'd rather start for any MLB team than be a reliever for any team - starting pitchers make more money than relievers.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Most high profile players are going to choose the winning program. There's a reason 5 star recruits choose Alabama or Ohio State and not Kansas or Illinois. If playing time was a big selling point the worst D1 programs would be getting lots of good players.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

My 2 cents:
As a youngster in a pretty competitive hs situation, it was my goal to contribute as a Fr (didn't) and So (sorta), so that I could help the team win when I was a Jr. and Sr. Waiting to get my turn sucked, but I also knew that I wasn't good enough early on and winning was way cooler than living in the town over and being terrible.

My new old man goals, be the worst player on a good team and hope they don't get rid of me. :)

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Also, David Johnson didn't commit to UNI originally. He committed to and enrolled at Nebraska. He ended up at UNI as a transfer looking for the best opportunity. It's not apples to apples at that point.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Most high profile players are going to choose the winning program. There's a reason 5 star recruits choose Alabama or Ohio State and not Kansas or Illinois. If playing time was a big selling point the worst D1 programs would be getting lots of good players.
5 star guys will get early playing time anywhere they go most likely.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Quran Hafiz tweeted that he will not be visiting Oregon State this weekend. Hafiz is a stud, I really hope he stays committed to the good guys. He, Bowens, and White give us some super physical and athletic DBs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron