RECRUITING: Caleb Grill commits

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Grill also has a look of a player that will annoy the shut out of other teams. Like those duke white guy shooters that u want to punch. I have been drinking but we needed a dude like that.

You seem like a very dark drunk if you think of punching when drinking. Unless its of the donkey variety.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Give us credit. I don’t think anybody has said he needs to hit the weight room to be ready to play in a couple of years yet.

Let's be honest now. He's just a true freshman so if all he does is play 30 a game and give us 12 and 7, at least we'll have something to build on IF he stays all 4 years but that's still borderline bust. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Pretty excited about this. Happy prohm proved me wrong and reeled in a tier 1 target this spring. Now hope we can get some immediate help for next year. Think grill will take at least a year to break into the rotation, we need someone battle tested and ready. Yes, I know, I'm never satisfied

Now you know how your on-line "girlfriend" feels.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Really like this kid. I have a feeling that he'll play as many or more mins than Lewis by the end of the year.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
He's probably an average of 3-4 feet behind the line on all of those 3s.

Grill shooting should transfer well to college. I was just as impress that he was burying those 3's coming of screens, turning and shooting off the bounce. Not spot up shooting.
The video also shows how coordinated he is adjusting to the ball in the air, resulting in ally oops and blocks. Caleb can ball in a variety of ways shooting or slashing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
"Grew up watching Iowa State" is definitely a great thing to hear.
I'm a little curious as to why Prohm wasn't pursuing him last summer, if he was that interested in Iowa St.

He committed to SDSU in August, but prior to that he had an offer from Nebraska, SMU, and Texas Tech, so it wasn't like he was completely off the radar. Prohm and his staff have proven they're really good at identifying, and offering, talent before they blow up.

Considering his ISU fandom, if Grill ends up being a good player, then this could have been a huge miss, had it not been for TJ leaving SDSU.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm a little curious as to why Prohm wasn't pursuing him last summer, if he was that interested in Iowa St.

He committed to SDSU in August, but prior to that he had an offer from Nebraska, SMU, and Texas Tech, so it wasn't like he was completely off the radar. Prohm and his staff have proven they're really good at identifying, and offering, talent before they blow up.

Considering his ISU fandom, if Grill ends up being a good player, then this could have been a huge miss, had it not been for TJ leaving SDSU.

Easy to second guess, but our open scholarship situation has totally changed.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Easy to second guess, but our open scholarship situation has totally changed.
Leech committed at the end of July last year, and he was the first commitment of the class.

I'd be interested to know if they ever evaluated him. I can see it possible that they did, but didn't think he was a priority to offer at the time. Or, they never knew of him, or his interest in Iowa St. Either would have been a kick to the nuts, if TJ never left,Grill was very successful at SDSU, and it then came out that he was an Iowa St fan growing up.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
So you think Grill is a better prospect than our other kids? Our need situation was different too.
Hell I dunno. I'm not a coach, scout, or evaluator. I do think he is now the highest rated in the class, fwiw. I'm not even saying Prohm should have taken him over anyone in our current class, but an offer last July, when Jackson and Anderson's commitments were far from likely, wouldn't be out of the question.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hell I dunno. I'm not a coach, scout, or evaluator. I do think he is now the highest rated in the class, fwiw. I'm not even saying Prohm should have taken him over anyone in our current class, but an offer last July, when Jackson and Anderson's commitments were far from likely, wouldn't be out of the question.

Yeah, I don't know either. I just think the scholarship and need situation was totally different (and Grill wasn't ranked nearly as high then either), so it's not worth a whole lot of worry.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Prohm usually only offers a player after seeing him in person and preferably after they have taken an unofficial. Caleb didn't get his offer until his unofficial to Ames
As mentioned in this thread, Caleb was off most radars not being associated with a AAU program and participating in major tourneys. It wasn't until last summer that schools had gotten a chance to see him play leading to late offers from Neb and TT by that time SDSU was already the front runner and he committed early before more got involved.

We'll never know but I assume Prohm didn't attend a tourney Grill competed in June/July and when he did Caleb was already a Jackrabbit. Not sure why were trying to knock CSP for not offering a player he may have never gotten a chance to evaluate. He should get credit for being aware of Grill (and other prospects) that if they become available would be worth an offer.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Leech committed at the end of July last year, and he was the first commitment of the class.

I'd be interested to know if they ever evaluated him. I can see it possible that they did, but didn't think he was a priority to offer at the time. Or, they never knew of him, or his interest in Iowa St. Either would have been a kick to the nuts, if TJ never left,Grill was very successful at SDSU, and it then came out that he was an Iowa St fan growing up.

Nice.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron