RECRUITING: Caleb Grill commits

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
247 had him at a 79 and Rivals re-ranked him early in the week (in the top 150). Those two increases landed him here. He was grossly underrated.

In addition ESPN hasn't ranked Grill (or Jackson) thus his rating is suppressed a bit assuming they would give a similar ranking to Rivals/247.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
In other words, they've probably never seen him play, but he has several P5 offers now, and committed to a P5 school so they bumped his ranking up.

That's my guess.

In addition ESPN hasn't ranked Grill (or Jackson) thus his rating is suppressed a bit assuming they would give a similar ranking to Rivals/247.

ESPN is such a crap shoot on their rankings. I'd prefer that they didn't.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just watched his highlights. Great leaper for left-handed dunks. Quick step for long 3's. Nice help defense. This is going to be a fun guy to watch. He will be a Hilton favorite (and AFH nemesis).

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Does Pollard really think "mature" recruits should call him personally?
Pollard calls it maturity, I'll call it having stones.

But, in seriousness, he probably met Pollard on his visit so he followed up when he committed.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I put zero weight on recruiting rankings for this kid - he didn't play AAU.

He might as well be ranked "N/A" since no one saw him.

He didn't play on a shoe deal team, but he did show out last summer playing at various events for NLHA (Next Level Hoops Academy). That's when he earned the high major offers before committing to SDSU. Someone mentioned the well-regarded Texas Tech assistant led Grill's recruitment on Tech's behalf. I'll link a couple summer reviews of Grill below.

"Grill drew a crowd of college coaches throughout the weekend and didn’t disappoint as he showed he is one of the state’s premier guard prospects in the 2019 class. He brings a unique blend of skill and athleticism as shown by his ability to knock down 3-pointers, defend at a high level and even threw down an eye-opening slam dunk on Thursday night. He does a good job off the ball, moving, cutting and setting up defenders as he works off screens and gets open, but can also create his own shot off the bounce. He currently holds several Division I offers and added an offer from Nebraska on Friday."

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/07/gaso-wichita-kansas-all-tournament-2019/

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
As a K-State graduate, I can tell you that as good as Grill is, not signing him is not a total KITN. Losing Emily Ryan to ISU WBB is the ultimate KITN. Emily will be a Day 1 starter for the Cyclones and will lead them in scoring, assists, and steals her freshman year. Big Bill will tell you that she is the best point guard to come out of the midwest in the last 10-15 years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"Grew up watching Iowa State" is definitely a great thing to hear.

I'd love to hear more about how this happened. Was he encouraged by someone to pay attention to the Cyclones? Were there particular players (or coaches) that attracted him? How did his Cyclone fandom emerge in the midst of being a WSU and KSU fan?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd love to hear more about how this happened. Was he encouraged by someone to pay attention to the Cyclones? Were there particular players (or coaches) that attracted him? How did his Cyclone fandom emerge in the midst of being a WSU and KSU fan?

I'm sure he had plenty of opportunities to watch some boring KSU basketball, and in the process, see not boring Iowa State basketball.

Reactions: JP4CY and kentkel