Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
While I agree with this comment I also think OUT should be taking an equal amount of the blame in that one, more Texas than OU but everyone knows how toxic Texas is.
Texas is definitely toxic, but in the original Big 12 Nebraska and A&M were every bit as greedy, selfish, and toxic, and again, Texas's toxicity isn't all that relevant if no one else is willing to dance with them.

That's where the SEC takes the blame. They could have just said "nah, we don't need your drama". But they wanted their money, so here we are. That, my friend, is the definition of greed.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Texas is definitely toxic, but in the original Big 12 Nebraska and A&M were every bit as greedy, selfish, and toxic, and again, Texas's toxicity isn't all that relevant if no one else is willing to dance with them.

That's where the SEC takes the blame. They could have just said "nah, we don't need your drama". But they wanted their money, so here we are. That, my friend, is the definition of greed.
Yep don’t disagree with any of that. I’m sure the SEC thinks they have the cache to stop Texas from being Texas but time will tell.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
This is the key point, the big ten and SEC aren’t destroying the ACC, the ACC’s own members are breaking it apart. Same with the PAC. That’s why it’s different.

If you look at the past like you claim you would realize that no conference has ever kicked out a member before. Especially not the conference that has been around since the 1800’s
Interesting perspective for which I disagree. That's the narrative the SEC and B1G love to convey, but to think that Texas and Oklahoma 'initiated' conversations to leave for the SEC, imo, is naive. That would be same for UCLA/USC. Same for OR/WA. One could even argue CO/AZ were also enticed. This is not a by-chance chess game in which the players move themselves. This, clearly, was/is planned. And the pieces have not all fallen yet.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sure, it is, but at least the B12 was up front about it, and did so after USC and UCLA had already left. The new schools would not have joined if the B10 had not finally killed the P12 by taking Oregon and Washington. The Athletic had more than one article saying that a deal was in place to keep the P12 going without USC and UCLA, and then night before the vote, both Washington and Oregon agreed to join the B10 and not take the same money that USC and UCLA had been given. With Washington and Oregon gone, what choice did the four schools have but to take the B12 offer?
So had USC and UCLA reached out to the Big 12 and said they were interested in joining, you think BY and the conference leaders would've been up front about it and notified the PAC and did all the things that the B1G didn't do?

Reactions: cyfanatic

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So had USC and UCLA reached out to the Big 12 and said they were interested in joining, you think BY and the conference leaders would've been up front about it and notified the PAC and did all the things that the B1G didn't do?
Of course they would have taken them. The Big 12 had already lost Nebraska, A&M, OU, and Texas.

The better analogy is the Big 12 circa 2008 trying to get USC and UCLA to join, and that wasn't even on anyone's mind.

Jim Delaney started this ****, and the SEC quickly joined in. If the conferences as we knew them had just left each other alone, we'd have an inarguably superior college football product.

Please tell me at what point in modern history that the Big 10 was ever in a position of needing to act out of survival.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I do thoroughly enjoy Big Ten and SEC folks bringing in the Big 12 taking some schools (particularly the 4 corner PAC 12 schools) and saying, "Look the Big 12 is no different." Holy hell is that rich. This entire realignment blitz is 100% the Big Ten and SEC's fault. Every other conference is just trying to survive after what those two did over the past 15 years.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I do thoroughly enjoy Big Ten and SEC folks bringing in the Big 12 taking some schools (particularly the 4 corner PAC 12 schools) and saying, "Look the Big 12 is no different." Holy hell is that rich. This entire realignment blitz is 100% the Big Ten and SEC's fault. Every other conference is just trying to survive after what those two did over the past 15 years.
It's like if 3 people invade your house and kill your wife. You shoot one of them in the process of fighting back and they go "look at you, you murdering ****".

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Painting in hypotheticals to make the Big Ten feel better? Holy **** this is crazy. Well your above scenario didn't happen, so please stop distracting from the real crooks in this whole endeavor.

Reactions: legi

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Of course they would have taken them. The Big 12 had already lost Nebraska, A&M, OU, and Texas.

The better analogy is the Big 12 circa 2008 trying to get USC and UCLA to join, and that wasn't even on anyone's mind.

Jim Delaney started this ****, and the SEC quickly joined in. If the conferences as we knew them had just left each other alone, we'd have an inarguably superior college football product.

Please tell me at what point in modern history that the Big 10 was ever in a position of needing to act out of survival.
The ACC started it all back in the early 2000s by raiding and essentially destroying the Big East. All the Big 10 had done at that point was added PSU, an independent.

I don't know that the Big 10 has ever been at the point of survival. My only point is that the Big 12, even before OuT happened and the conference was in a state of survival, would've done the exact same thing the Big 10 did if USC and UCLA had reached out.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Interesting perspective for which I disagree. That's the narrative the SEC and B1G love to convey, but to think that Texas and Oklahoma 'initiated' conversations to leave for the SEC, imo, is naive. That would be same for UCLA/USC. Same for OR/WA. One could even argue CO/AZ were also enticed. This is not a by-chance chess game in which the players move themselves. This, clearly, was/is planned. And the pieces have not all fallen yet.
Except the LA schools did all the initiating, they knew there wasn’t a deal that was going to materialize and they reached out. Same for the PNW schools once things were falling apart.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The ACC started it all back in the early 2000s by raiding and essentially destroying the Big East. All the Big 10 had done at that point was added PSU, an independent.

I don't know that the Big 10 has ever been at the point of survival. My only point is that the Big 12, even before OuT happened and the conference was in a state of survival, would've done the exact same thing the Big 10 did if USC and UCLA had reached out.
Now it's the ACC's fault.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

The Big 12 has somewhat been in a state of survival ever since Nebraska left.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Just a fact that they were the first to start raiding and destroying conferences.
While this IS true, nothing about it necessitated the Big 10 to expand.

The Big East rebuilt and would have been capable of carrying on. WVU was an absurd home loss to a bad Pitt team away from playing for a BCS natty in 2007.

The Big 10's unnecessary greed, lead by Jim Delaney, was the biggest catalyst to ruining a compelling era of college sports.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

The Big East rebuilt and would have been capable of carrying on. WVU was an absurd home loss to a bad Pitt team away from playing for a BCS natty in 2007.

The Big 10's unnecessary greed, lead by Jim Delaney, was the biggest catalyst to ruining a compelling era of college sports.
I do agree that era with Delaney was the major catalyst for chaos combined with the revenue from BTN. The Pac12 situation is very different though.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I'm not saying it's not driven by greed or that Delany wasn't out front after the ACC raided the Big East. But I'd hope every major conference commish would've been smart enough to see what happened with the ACC and Big East and realized where things were headed. The Big East never rebuilt in terms of CFB, its football presence was dead after that.

• Agree

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Except the LA schools did all the initiating, they knew there wasn’t a deal that was going to materialize and they reached out. Same for the PNW schools once things were falling apart.
So you believe that USC/UCLA woke up one day and said “let’s ask the big 10 if we can join?”

You don’t think it was initiated by Fox and the other media partners? Kevin Warren just answered the phone innocently with USC and UCLA falling into his lap making his media deal even larger?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I do agree that era with Delaney was the major catalyst for chaos combined with the revenue from BTN. The Pac12 situation is very different though.

In this world though...doesn't it seem as though this situation was inevitable? Whether it is greed, survival or competitive spirit...sadly, in today's world this situation feels like it was bound to happen.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Why do you think they reached out? Was it just out of nowhere? The Big 10 had nothing to do with it?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So you believe that USC/UCLA woke up one day and said “let’s ask the big 10 if we can join?”

You don’t think it was initiated by Fox and the other media partners? Kevin Warren just answered the phone innocently with USC and UCLA falling into his lap making his media deal even larger?
Yeah, when their commish and conference **** the bed and couldn’t produce a media deal that’s exactly what happened. It’s been documented, the pac12 was the most incompetent conference in the country. They went running for the exit at the first opportunity

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron